Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane (3167 Views)

Nigeria LNG Overseas Scholarship Scheme To Study In UK 2016 / Photos: Sosoliso Plane Crash Survivor Kechi Okwuchi Graduates From College / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Seandeeds(m): 1:26am On Oct 11, 2014
A young man of 18 was coming to the UK for the very first time, to study. He had no family nor friends in the country. That was the very first time he would travel out of his home country. To him, it's like going into the unknown.

When he got here, it was hard for him. He came during winter. He had no jacket. He had no winter boots. He went to go get accommodation in the most expensive part of London. He made several mistakes, after everything, he became broke and frustrated....

This story is similar to what hundreds of students and UK first timers experience. Many people travel to the UK without any knowledge at all of the country.

Again, I heard a guy on the train lamenting the recent changes to UK immigrations laws, particularly, students. He is probably a rookie.

He was busy fuming about how to pay his fees and survive on just 20 hrs a week. I empathise with the guy, to be honest. People on full 40 hrs a week complain, let alone someone on just 20 hrs.

The guy was complaining to his friend, asking him how the government expects him to survive.

Anyways, these things happen. The problem is that some people do not have adequate knowledge about how this country (UK) operates. I just felt I should say a thing or two regarding the cost of living and UK lifestyle (focusing on London).

With a rough idea like this, newbies can be better prepared and know what they are getting into.

Well, for the benefit of those who do not know....As a student, you can only do part time job up to 20 hours a week in term-time (for Tier 4 visas issued to study at degree level or above), and full time during vacations (for a course below Bachelors degree level, you will only be able to work up to 10 hours per week in term time).

University fees range from between £10,000 and £17,300 with these figures, nobody can survive on 20 hrs of work, unless your dad is millionaire. Well, if you are not a rich kid like the writer, you have to be careful and consider the points given below.

Below are about five factors, among others, you should consider be before getting on that plane to the UK.

1) Come with your personal stuff.

I came into the UK during summer. I was told to get just T shirts, jeans and trainers. Stupid me, I gave away all my shirts, trousers and shoes, only to go get some T shirts and all. It's OK.....You can say it, I was an idiot and I paid dearly for that singular stupid act of foolishness.

So please, come with your phones, cloths, shoes and almost all your personal effects. You are gonna seriously need them.

Then please buy a jacket immediately you get here, or you bring one from your home country. Find out from your friends and family or check the internet for the current weather so you know what the weather is like in the UK at the time of your arrival.

- Read more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/10/prospective-international-student.html#sthash.RiOfjGLT.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by ednut1(m): 6:14am On Oct 11, 2014
aint clicking dat Shi t. nigerians still find ways to work more dan 20 hrs. eg dose guys hustling in clubs selling sweet perfume cd etc. who dey cout der hour. security job nko. my broda or friend can take a job but na me go actually do d wrk as security. lived nd skul der for 3 years. dat place is dead abeg

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by SMALLPENIS(f): 6:48am On Oct 11, 2014
Children of nowadays think going abroad is the way out.
PS, OP, i am not clicking that link.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 11, 2014
Ok,but I ain't clicking no link angry
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by mustydammy(f): 7:30am On Oct 11, 2014
dnt discourage me pls,i'll land in london soon nd lets all see how my education goes

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by benega: 8:19am On Oct 11, 2014
Hmm
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by tosyne2much(m): 8:43am On Oct 11, 2014
Anit clicking any link... If I hear say I click am

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Temmi001: 8:44am On Oct 11, 2014
mustydammy:
dnt discourage me pls,i'll land in london soon nd lets all see how my education goes
nawa oo!mustydammy!unilorin Fresher!!!pple and their Ebola lies

4 Likes

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by lottoe(m): 10:10am On Oct 11, 2014
Temmi001:
nawa oo!mustydammy!unilorin Fresher!!!pple and their Ebola lies
Busted grin

3 Likes

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by gsparks01(m): 10:36am On Oct 11, 2014
make my phone bend if i click the link

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Tenim47(m): 10:59am On Oct 11, 2014
Clickin 4 d gods
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Ephramed(m): 11:02am On Oct 11, 2014
Till buhari become president till i go anywhere close to that link.
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by Osama10(m): 11:10am On Oct 11, 2014
2) Accommodation
This is the number one thing that gulps money in London and the UK as a whole. As a self sponsored student, you should be very proactive about your choice of accommodation, both in the area of location and size.

Take for instance, you school in Central London and you decide to live close to your school, that may not be the best decision, economically. The reason being that accommodation in that area of London is expensive.

I once worked with a guy who who lived in a room, paying £700 month. This guy was making just £1,300 a month. He chose the one bedroom apartment simply because he wanted to live close to his workplace and perhaps a choice area. When he couldn't make it, he had to go back to Sweden.

My point is this, he could be living in South or East London and be paying half the £700.

Another thing is this, when getting a place, try to get the best deal. Try get a place that comes it's own WiFi, satellite TV etc. If possible, get apartments that's inclusive of all utility bills, like electricity and gas. You can get it if you look for it.

Coming To Study In UK

3) Working as a student.
Right or wrong, most international students in UK sponsor themselves, despite all the sponsorship letters and proofs submitted at the British High Commission in their various home countries. So, talking about this topic is of paramount importance. As you know, you are restricted work wise.

During term time, you are only permitted to work 20hrs if you are doing a course at up to a degree level and 10 hrs for courses below degree level.

So look at it yourself, how much can you make in 20 hrs? It's not like you gonna be getting some great rates of pay. If you are sponsoring yourself, I do not see how 20 hrs a week would pay £10,000 - £17,300 tuition (estimates). So when choosing a job, be smart with it.

Good news, it's not all doom and gloom, you can work full time when you are on vacation. That's where your smartness come into play. There are some other jobs you and programmes you can do that will put some extra cash in your pocket. Watch out for my post next week, where I shall talk about certain quick jobs you can partake in for that needed extra cash.

In addition, there are various scholarship schemes available to you. It's a long shot, yet they're worth trying.

Coming To Study In UK

4) Transportation
Transportation is probably the second factor that would dip hard into your pockets. Transportation in London is so expensive that it goes up every January. It is crazy, trust me. If you are studying in London, your best option is the tube (undergroung train). This is often the fastest and the most convenient way to get around. Also, for travel in London, take a look at the Oyster card.
As students, you get great discount to move around in London. For more information on the discount, visit www.tfl.gov.uk.

If you have to do inter city travel, then Coaches (Buses) are a cheaper alternative to trains, though they take longer. The two top coach companies in UK are National Express and Megabus.
Tickets should be booked as early as possible to save money (as much as 80% off) on advance fares.

As a student, you have the right to drive car. Before getting the car, ask yourself if you really need it. You are struggling and you are owning a car?

To maintain a car is not peanut in UK. A report once put UK as the most expensive place to own a car. You'll pay road tax, insurance, MOT and fuel the car. There are other miscellaneous expenses as well.

If the car is useful for work purposes, that's different. It's all part of being smart about the whole staying in UK. If it's not for work and you struggle to maintain, please ditch it. I have seen guys here in London who beg for £10 to fuel their car.

Coming To Study In UK
5) Other bills
If your initial accommodation comes with all your utilities inclusive, then you have one major bill to pay and that's your mobile phone. If not, you have to pay for electricity, homephone & internet, TV licence and gas separately. In some cases, you pay water bill.

This is why I suggested earlier you try get a place that is all bills inclusive and you come with your phone, with it, all you need is just a SIM only contract phone. If you search very well, you may not spend more than £10 on it or your can go on Pay as you go.

Calling your friends and family back home is another serious factor. It can be quite expensive, if you don't know how to get the best deals around. Except it is written boldly in the package, you don't make international calls on your mobile or land phone.
You buy calling cards and other Pay As You Go sims, specifically for international calls. If your friends and family are on WiFi, then Viber, Skype, Dingtone and other softwares and apps are the best deals for you, because they are free.

With all the bills, you need to shop around very carefully. We have various great deals out there for you, but the people with the expensive deals make the loudest noise, because they have more money to place adverts.

Are you an international student in the UK? What was your experience when you first got here? What advice do you have for others who are just coming? Please drop your comments below.

P.S. Please, if you have found value in this post, like, tweet and share this with your friends and family.
- See more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/10/prospective-international-student.html#sthash.RiOfjGLT.AFnVG6SW.dpuf

smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by funshyboi(m): 11:54am On Oct 11, 2014
Make rain no fall again for 3yrs if should click that link
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by calculusx(m): 12:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
I once applied to study in UK but fortunately for me I got a visiting visa before I put in for a Student Visa. I visited the School opposite Brixton Train Station and what happened there after changed my plan. Cost of living in UK isn't cheap grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by nwaobitex: 1:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
Nice one
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by kropelgrada(m): 1:38pm On Oct 11, 2014
Your best bet is to have the school make appropriate accommodation plans for you,that way you don't have to pay through your nose for accommodation..Accommodation i think is the greatest challenge while trying to survive in the UK..The rest i think can be attainable.To survive for UK no be beans sha.
Re: Are You Coming To Study In UK? Read This Before You Board That Plane by tomiobj(m): 10:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
Go to uk durin winter without a jacket cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Lollllll gobe
Seandeeds:
A young man of 18 was coming to the UK for the very first time, to study. He had no family nor friends in the country. That was the very first time he would travel out of his home country. To him, it's like going into the unknown.

When he got here, it was hard for him. He came during winter. He had no jacket. He had no winter boots. He went to go get accommodation in the most expensive part of London. He made several mistakes, after everything, he became broke and frustrated....

This story is similar to what hundreds of students and UK first timers experience. Many people travel to the UK without any knowledge at all of the country.

Again, I heard a guy on the train lamenting the recent changes to UK immigrations laws, particularly, students. He is probably a rookie.

He was busy fuming about how to pay his fees and survive on just 20 hrs a week. I empathise with the guy, to be honest. People on full 40 hrs a week complain, let alone someone on just 20 hrs.

The guy was complaining to his friend, asking him how the government expects him to survive.

Anyways, these things happen. The problem is that some people do not have adequate knowledge about how this country (UK) operates. I just felt I should say a thing or two regarding the cost of living and UK lifestyle (focusing on London).

With a rough idea like this, newbies can be better prepared and know what they are getting into.

Well, for the benefit of those who do not know....As a student, you can only do part time job up to 20 hours a week in term-time (for Tier 4 visas issued to study at degree level or above), and full time during vacations (for a course below Bachelors degree level, you will only be able to work up to 10 hours per week in term time).

University fees range from between £10,000 and £17,300 with these figures, nobody can survive on 20 hrs of work, unless your dad is millionaire. Well, if you are not a rich kid like the writer, you have to be careful and consider the points given below.

Below are about five factors, among others, you should consider be before getting on that plane to the UK.

1) Come with your personal stuff.

I came into the UK during summer. I was told to get just T shirts, jeans and trainers. Stupid me, I gave away all my shirts, trousers and shoes, only to go get some T shirts and all. It's OK.....You can say it, I was an idiot and I paid dearly for that singular stupid act of foolishness.

So please, come with your phones, cloths, shoes and almost all your personal effects. You are gonna seriously need them.

Then please buy a jacket immediately you get here, or you bring one from your home country. Find out from your friends and family or check the internet for the current weather so you know what the weather is like in the UK at the time of your arrival.

- Read more at: http://uklounge..co.uk/2014/10/prospective-international-student.html#sthash.RiOfjGLT.dpuf

(1) (Reply)

Examgrand >>visit Examgrand.net.ng / Kano To Build N100M Hostel In Sokoto For Usman Danfodiyo University / Have You Heard Of The Rivers State University Of Science And Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.