Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! (1247 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by KabukiSensei(m): 8:33pm On Oct 11, 2014
Most of us have read or heard about how an interviewee failed woefully at an interview session and some of us must have thought 'Naaaah, that can't happen to me', or 'No way I can perform that poorly in an interview'.
Well, I used to be such a person. Don't get me wrong. I'm not perfect. Neither am I saying that I haven't messed up before during interviews. But there are some massive c**k-ups that you believe can never happen to you during an interview. Well, I had my beliefs changed today.
I had gotten an interview scheduled with someone, whom I'll from here on refer to as Mr. U, at Four Points hotel.
It was meant to be an interview for a job position in a new startup that Mr U was launching and a friend of mine had recommended me for the position. Mr. U and I had already had a couple of phone conversations, though I had not gotten full awareness as to the nature of the business itself. I had been feeling a tad under the weather during the week, and as such didn't put too much in preparing for the interview. However, since it was an interview for a position which I currently occupy at another company, I felt nothing could go wrong as I felt I had a well of experience to draw on.
I arrived promptly for the mid-afternoon meeting and rang Mr U. He told me he'd be some minutes late and that I should wait in the lobby. An hour later, Mr. U arrived and I knew he was someone I would like. We exchanged pleasantries and changed position to a table that would sit more people as he said that a couple of other guys would be joining us.
A moment later, my embarrassment began. Blame it on my 'unpreparedness', my cocky belief in my (limited) knowledge, whatever. No excuse can cover for the total debacle I put up. An obviously intelligent man, Mr. U started out by asking me the regular kind of questions you'd expect and my brain chose that moment to go on an extended vacation while my mouth chose to spew content akin to gutter water. I could see the look of incredulity on Mr U's face as, question after question, I continued to mess myself up. At some point, I just wanted a nuke to explode in that room, taking out only me and saving me from the embarrassment I was putting myself through.
And so it went on. Apparently, Mr U sorta knew I had a seed of greatness in me which I had never let bloom. He gave me chance after chance to prove this and impress. He was actually quite nice, pointing out what and what I was saying and doing wrong and actually leading me with questions that should have been a breeze. And I, like some brain dead ignoramus, just kept digging a deeper grave. It was just as if my village people had finally gotten to me, swapping my brain with that of an aquatic sponge. It got to a stage, I had to ask for a 10 second break, to beg my brain to come back from its vacation. He gave me 10 minutes. Still, I continued spewing rubbish.
And then it got worse. A couple of guys joined us, one of them who had been working with Mr U. He sat down while the other guy is asked to excuse us. At this point, I was close to tears and quite sure that my eyes must have been as red as someone who had just smoked a ton of marijuana. Mr U tells the new guy to ask me a few questions concerning the job, and I manage to answer as coherently as a 10 year old. Deep down within me, I was flummoxed as I had no idea what was going on with me! I'm not saying that I'm the most articulate orator, and I know that I can be quite the wallflower. But, despite my knowledge and experience with the position in question, I still could not seem to say anything that made sense. Nothing could explain what I was going through at this point. I knew I was behaving like the most clueless git on the surface of the earth and it seemed like I was on autopilot, hell bent on ruining every chance I had at redemption.
Finally, Mr U looked at me and I could see him thinking 'let me put this poor sod out of his misery'. He said I still stood a chance (in my mind I shook my head). I had what I knew was a very silly smile plastered on my face, and all I wanted to do at that moment was just go find a cliff and jump off.
I thanked him and the other guy, mumbled some excuses, stood up and went to sit quietly in a corner for a few minutes before I quietly took my leave.
As I left the venue of the interview, I just started laughing at myself, replaying the whole thing in my mind and wondering what in the world just happened. I learned some very valuable lessons from the whole experience though.

1 Like

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by naturally: 8:41pm On Oct 11, 2014
Lol, I once went for an interview and the interviewers asked if I needed a bottle of water or if they should put off the AC. So embarrassing

1 Like

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by KabukiSensei(m): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2014
[/b]
naturally:
Lol, I once went for an interview and the interviewers asked if I needed a bottle of water or if they should put off the AC. So embarrassing

Lol...at a point, I took off my blazer in a bid to look more relaxed. Epic. Fail.
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by peewhydee(m): 8:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
Shit happens!!Wish you the very best in future with the hope that you figure out the real (not perceived) reasons it went that way.
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by KabukiSensei(m): 9:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
peewhydee:
Shit happens!!Wish you the very best in future with the hope that you figure out the real (not perceived) reasons it went that way.

Thanks peewhydee. Already doing a mental audit and highlighting all the areas and reasons that led to the 'melt down', and intend to firmly tackle them.
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 11, 2014
Mine was just a couple of days ago. There was this lady interviewer from hell. She asked questions unimaginable and irrelevant like why would a kid prefer Fanta to water and why would I chose bottled water over sachet etc. I'm still in search of answers to these questions and your kind contributions are appreciated.
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by sobastical: 12:00am On Oct 12, 2014
naijamark:
Mine was just a couple of days ago. There was this lady interviewer from hell. She asked questions unimaginable and irrelevant like why would a kid prefer Fanta to water and why would I chose bottled water over sachet etc. I'm still in search of answers to these questions and your kind contributions are appreciated.

Oh my... With my lil knowledge I would say reason kids prefer Fanta to water is cos 1. kids are prone to sweetness, anytime any day they would always jump up for a candy, chocolate and any kind of sweet flavored which they savored much and again the color the drink is enough to tell what the taste will be like... attractive to say. 2. bottle water to sachet water... Some folks take it seeing it as it's more cleaner and hygiene d than that of sachet. and while some who are not that learned took probably to show - off.

That's all I can say hope it answer a lil if not all the percentage.

2 Likes

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Nobody: 3:04am On Oct 12, 2014
naijamark:
All these kinda question doesn't have definite answer :

I will just reply her ''kids love sweetzhit and we all know fanta is sweeter than water as Yoruba adage says 'omode o ni fi oyin senu ko tu danu , taa ewo, orisa(A kid wouldn't lick honey and spit it out, Abomination) '' .... If she think I'm doing Incantation , that's her problem ... She asked ridiculous question , she get ridiculous reply !!!

Describe the packaging of bottled water beyond that of satchet water , the process bottle water has passed through makes it healthier than satchet water infact let her realise you have a taste in terms of brand , tell her you love ''Eva water'' !!

2 Likes

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Nobody: 3:12am On Oct 12, 2014
KabukiSensei:

Thanks peewhydee. Already doing a mental audit and highlighting all the areas and reasons that led to the 'melt down', and intend to firmly tackle them.
It was my turn to come in and I did close the door firmly behind me , they were busy assessing the previous person that entered and he suddenly looked up at me where I'm standing since they never asked me to sit and said :

''I hate your tie , it is too tiny for my liking and I'm gonna start assessing you from your tie ... I'm here fro dressing-sense'' .....

I just look @him as if he doesn't exist or feel like untie and flog his mouth ... I just smile a little (raise some excuses he wasn't listening to)..... He latter became a friend after the interview !!!

I didn't allow him to spoil market for me that day , things like that would have demoralised one and spoil the whole moment of interview !!

1 Like

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
naijamark:

1. Kids are yet to understand that fanta can never satisfy thirst as much as water. They are likely to be swayed by the sweet and colourful fanta over tasteless and colourless water.

2. I'll choose bottle water over sachet water because bottle water can easily be kept for use later. I need not finish it at once. Sachet water necessitates I finish it for fear it may pour if left unfinished and mess things up.

More so, by finishing it at once, I have to get another should I get thirsty the next minute and of course, it may not be available.

3 Likes

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Harmthe(m): 1:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
learning tins sinx ...
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 13, 2014
KabukiSensei:
Most of us have read or heard about how an interviewee failed woefully at an interview session and some of us must have thought 'Naaaah, that can't happen to me', or 'No way I can perform that poorly in an interview'.
Well, I used to be such a person. Don't get me wrong. I'm not perfect. Neither am I saying that I haven't messed up before during interviews. But there are some massive c**k-ups that you believe can never happen to you during an interview. Well, I had my beliefs changed today.
I had gotten an interview scheduled with someone, whom I'll from here on refer to as Mr. U, at Four Points hotel.
It was meant to be an interview for a job position in a new startup that Mr U was launching and a friend of mine had recommended me for the position. Mr. U and I had already had a couple of phone conversations, though I had not gotten full awareness as to the nature of the business itself. I had been feeling a tad under the weather during the week, and as such didn't put too much in preparing for the interview. However, since it was an interview for a position which I currently occupy at another company, I felt nothing could go wrong as I felt I had a well of experience to draw on.
I arrived promptly for the mid-afternoon meeting and rang Mr U. He told me he'd be some minutes late and that I should wait in the lobby. An hour later, Mr. U arrived and I knew he was someone I would like. We exchanged pleasantries and changed position to a table that would sit more people as he said that a couple of other guys would be joining us.
A moment later, my embarrassment began. Blame it on my 'unpreparedness', my cocky belief in my (limited) knowledge, whatever. No excuse can cover for the total debacle I put up. An obviously intelligent man, Mr. U started out by asking me the regular kind of questions you'd expect and my brain chose that moment to go on an extended vacation while my mouth chose to spew content akin to gutter water. I could see the look of incredulity on Mr U's face as, question after question, I continued to mess myself up. At some point, I just wanted a nuke to explode in that room, taking out only me and saving me from the embarrassment I was putting myself through.
And so it went on. Apparently, Mr U sorta knew I had a seed of greatness in me which I had never let bloom. He gave me chance after chance to prove this and impress. He was actually quite nice, pointing out what and what I was saying and doing wrong and actually leading me with questions that should have been a breeze. And I, like some brain dead ignoramus, just kept digging a deeper grave. It was just as if my village people had finally gotten to me, swapping my brain with that of an aquatic sponge. It got to a stage, I had to ask for a 10 second break, to beg my brain to come back from its vacation. He gave me 10 minutes. Still, I continued spewing rubbish.
And then it got worse. A couple of guys joined us, one of them who had been working with Mr U. He sat down while the other guy is asked to excuse us. At this point, I was close to tears and quite sure that my eyes must have been as red as someone who had just smoked a ton of marijuana. Mr U tells the new guy to ask me a few questions concerning the job, and I manage to answer as coherently as a 10 year old. Deep down within me, I was flummoxed as I had no idea what was going on with me! I'm not saying that I'm the most articulate orator, and I know that I can be quite the wallflower. But, despite my knowledge and experience with the position in question, I still could not seem to say anything that made sense. Nothing could explain what I was going through at this point. I knew I was behaving like the most clueless git on the surface of the earth and it seemed like I was on autopilot, hell bent on ruining every chance I had at redemption.
Finally, Mr U looked at me and I could see him thinking 'let me put this poor sod out of his misery'. He said I still stood a chance (in my mind I shook my head). I had what I knew was a very silly smile plastered on my face, and all I wanted to do at that moment was just go find a cliff and jump off.
I thanked him and the other guy, mumbled some excuses, stood up and went to sit quietly in a corner for a few minutes before I quietly took my leave.
As I left the venue of the interview, I just started laughing at myself, replaying the whole thing in my mind and wondering what in the world just happened. I learned some very valuable lessons from the whole experience though.

Your typing is too emotional. Eeyah the tin pain am wel wel oh.

Just let it pass, learn from your mistakes and move on.
Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Ebang: 12:21am On Oct 13, 2014
Business owners who are concerned about their sales and marketing capabilities could begin to see improvement by breaking down the term "sales and marketing" into discrete, manageable elements. You end up with a checklist that can be reviewed in order to prioritize areas needing improvement - a checklist that will serve as the groundwork for an effective marketing strategy.
This 2 days Sales and Marketing Courses are developed for individuals who are looking to find new customers, generate and close more sales. So whether you are new to sales or have some experience this course is ideal.
This practical course gives you an understanding on how to effectively market your goods and increase your impact on the internet.

You will learn how to:
• Identify strong sales leads and the importance of establishing requirements in order successfully close the sale
• Learn about marketing and its relationship to sales
• Identifying the business environment and type of market within which your company is operating
• Learn marketing techniques and their potential effectiveness for your business
• Identifying the key components required to develop a marketing strategy for your business Learn how to develop an effective sales and marketing plan .

Re: Most Embarrassing Interview Ever! by Dudecollins(m): 4:46am On Oct 13, 2014
VOTE TEAM STARLIGHT IN THE P&G CEO CHALLENGE

What is P&G CEO Challenge?
P&G CEO Challenge is a competition organised for University and MBA students by a multinational consumer goods company, Procter&Gamble (P&G). Teams of 3 individuals(enrolled at the same university) registered to compete in 5 elimination rounds of exciting case study challenges against students of other universities across the globe (Nigeria, South Africa, Morocco, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan and many more). The challenge is designed to run in 5 stages
Phase 1: Brand Manager Challenge (20 teams get promoted to Phase 2)
Phase 2: Country Manager Challenge (5 teams get promoted to Phase 3)
Phase 3: CFO Challenge (1 Team gets promoted to Phase 4)
Phase 4: COO Challenge (The Winning team competes with regional counterparts)
Phase 5: CEO Challenge (1 Winning team competes with their global counterparts in DUBAI)
To qualify for The CEO Challenge phase 1, each team has to prove its NET WORTH by securing NOT LESS THAN 60 likes and votes (i.e. as many likes&votes as possible but not less than 60).

Team STARLIGHT is one of the teams competing in this challenge and we need your help to vote for us and get us qualified.
To vote for Team STARLIGHT;
Visit this link www.woobox.com/odgogp/vote/for/4899126
Like the page by clicking the Facebook “like” icon and then the “continue” icon on the page to verify that you liked the page (you may be required to input your Facebook login details here).
Vote team STARLIGHT by clicking the “vote” icon on the page and also like the Team STARLIGHT picture itself.
We REALLY need your vote & motivation pls……our NET WORTH is ultimately a value of our NETWORK. Voting ends on 20th October, 2014.

Remember, it’s all about Team STARLIGHT and voting is not compatible with Opera Mini browser. Use UC Web browser or Phone browser. (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome browser, Internet Explorer 9 and Safari are also compatible browsers). You can always re-launch the site whenever the “like” or the “continue” button fails to come up. Thanks. Love you all. Kindly share/rebroadcast.

(1) (Reply)

Stanbic Bank Plc Entry Level Salary ? / Dark World Of Nigerian Jobless Graduates. • They Graduated 8 Years Ago / Advice On Writting Cips(chartered Institute Of Procurement And Supply) Or Master

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.