Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. (20770 Views)

Odunlade Adekola Reacts To Kemi Afolabi And Seyi Ariyo's Messy Fight Over Him / Seyi Ariyo & Kemi Afolabi Fight Dirty Over Odunlade & Borrowed Outfit [PICS / Kemi Afolabi: 'You Look Horrible'' Fans Tell Actress [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Hendryx(m): 8:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
More than four decades,
popular comedian Afolabi
Afolayan (a.k.a Jagua) was a
phenomenon in the Nigerian
entertainment scene, taking
comedy to unprecedented
height.
His rustic and down to earth
comedy act created a cliché
that made many homes a
happy lots creating laughter
for many children, providing
answers to many housewives’
frustrations and actually
hooking on many youths who
became influenced with his
famous pre programme signal
tune ‘my belle o my head o’.
Afolabi Afolayan was a class of
its own in the Nigeria comedy
scene.
The mercurial actor who
started his comedy series in
1968 died suddenly in 2000, no
thanks to the debilitating state
of the Nigerian health system.
He was one of the most
sought after personality on
NTA through the 1980s and
1990s up to the time of his
untimely demise.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Smilelo(m): 8:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
I can still remember him. RIP. Far back 1994

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Caracta(f): 8:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
"My belle o, my head o..."

I remember him very well. I still remember the songs we sing back then. Jaguar was one of a kind. Good talent he had.

7 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Hendryx(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
Caracta:

I remember him very well. I still remember the songs we sing back then. Jaguar was one of a kind. Good talent he had.

Yea, very talented. May his soul rip.
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Caracta(f): 9:03pm On Oct 11, 2014
Time to sing...

"...You dey go down to Lagos, ha you go be JJC. Mind you, na Lagos you dey go....Eko no be village, you dey go down to city. Watch your tongue.

My belle o...my head o"

cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 11, 2014
Caracta:
Time to sing...

"...You dey go down to Lagos, ha you go be JJC. Mind you, na Lagos you dey go....Eko no be village, you dey go down to city. Watch your tongue.

My belle o...my head o"

cheesy

"My head oh" cheesy
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Hendryx(m): 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2014
Three7Ty9:

"My head oh" cheesy

Lol
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Caracta(f): 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2014
Three7Ty9:

"My head oh" cheesy

You remember him too?
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 11, 2014
Caracta:

You remember him too?

Sure, I always waited for the songs. It was actually the spice in the series.

Funny pot bellied old man. cheesy
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Larrey(f): 9:22pm On Oct 11, 2014
My belle o my head o and one yoruba song "gbohun tobi re mba so"(hear wetin parenet dey tell u) etc
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 11, 2014
How can I forget. "Jagua"

If he were to be alive,he would have been such a funny old man...

RIP "Jagua",your legacy lives on!
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by dominique(f): 9:34pm On Oct 11, 2014
I have very vague memories of him and hus tv show. I didn't even know he's dead embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by totalhouse(m): 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2014
Caracta:

old mama yongi..lol.i no know say u too be old sch.....nice to know u are part of d club..team oldschl.....yes we are..lol
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Caracta(f): 10:00pm On Oct 11, 2014
totalhouse:

old mama yongi..lol.i no know say u too be old sch.....nice to know u are part of d club..team oldschl.....yes we are..lol

Forget o. I may not enjoy Saka and Usofia but Jaguar was hard to ignore. His comedy then would make no sense in this present age though. It was kinda "bush"...not 'posh'.
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 11, 2014
I remember one of his movies 'Jagua na yeye man', i think there was a girl 'Veronica' that he was constantly wooing despite having a wife, his love for rice and telling his kids to be fetching the rice small-small while he took huge gulps, and there was the time he took his village people all the way to the city to show them a sculptured cow. So many sweet and funny memories, God bless his soul, and he would have said Amu-amu!!

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by mspee(f): 11:25pm On Oct 11, 2014
No, I don't. embarassed
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by fr3do(m): 11:27pm On Oct 11, 2014
I have very faint memories of him.
He used to visit my neighbours then in Asaba.
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by BarryX(m): 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
Memories of LIFE!!!
grin
They were all on VHS cassette at the time ! Some company should obtain the copyright and dub some his works on CD. It can still make a good sell, I for one will always buy, it brings back some fond memories of my growing-up years.
One of best part then!!
"Okrika yeee. Okrika yoo
Okrika ye ye ye
Me I commando oo
Operation close your eye"

I also remember some of the cast then!
Grace - Jaguar Wife
Asubairo - Cowries Ifa priest
And a host of others!

Wow, now I feel Old for some weird reasons grin

6 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 12, 2014
Meenh••good old days.there used to be some really scary episodes then the once with spirits etc
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 12, 2014
I think I remember, it was the Veronica girl who was singing "Oto o my breadi,
make you no cry again o".

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by kadas01(m): 3:39am On Oct 12, 2014
I was discussing about Jaguar with a friend some few days ago and how we missed his kind of comedy!

A wonderful comedian and actor!
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Isiterere(m): 3:56am On Oct 12, 2014
Caracta:
Time to sing...

My belle o...my head o"

cheesy
My belle o... My head o

Nolstagic feeling ........

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Roon9(m): 4:38am On Oct 12, 2014
Bobo commander! Chei! Now am missing my daddy! Rip daddy! Rip jaguar
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Smilelo(m): 5:18am On Oct 12, 2014
i carry am come oooo AKIRIKA , i carry am come oooo AKIRIKA, Long nose Chop Chop AKIRIKA, i carry am come oooo AKIRIKA

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Smilelo(m): 5:21am On Oct 12, 2014
this one na front page things oooo. i beg mob move to front page.
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by scobaba: 6:06am On Oct 12, 2014
See my fellow oldies.

I hail una well wellu.

Jaguar and his troupe even performed before me in my primary school then in lagos..1991, I was in primary 4. cheesy

The fact that Grace(a sierra leonian) is his REAL wife is something that tripped me.

I still remember his close friend in the show, 'useni'

The episode I remember most is the one he ate fertiliser to grow big and almost died of running stomach. grin

The fact that he died in penury just shows how complex this country is. angry

God rest his soul sad
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by richgang(m): 6:18am On Oct 12, 2014
First I miss my baby boobs and big yatchh and pussi

The fact that he died in penury just shows how complex this country is. angry

God rest his soul sad[/quote] Okay oooo,na online you get baby when get bit yatchhhh, boobs and puss.y abi, Monkey like u
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 12, 2014
My belle o,my head o! grin

Old memories....

Abeg what of Sura the tailor?
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Hendryx(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2014
Miss those good old days
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by Hendryx(m): 9:26am On Oct 12, 2014
BimiOne:
I remember one of his movies 'Jagua na yeye man', i think there was a girl 'Veronica' that he was constantly wooing despite having a wife, his love for rice and telling his kids to be fetching the rice small-small while he took huge gulps, and there was the time he took his village people all the way to the city to show them a sculptured cow. So many sweet and funny memories, God bless his soul, and he would have said Amu-amu!!

Hahaahahhaahahhaha

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by greaterlove(m): 9:47am On Oct 12, 2014
See my fellow old papas and mamas.
Re: How Many Of You Remember The Popular Actor/commedian 'jagua' - Afolabi Afolayan. by jasper83: 10:59am On Oct 12, 2014
Jagun is a colossus. I also rmemba his other crew like " KUTELU and EPO KINKIN". Rip sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lilian Afegbai: It's None Of Your Business How Anybody Makes Money (Video) / Yemi Alade Stuns In African Prints (photo) / Boluwatife Balogun: Portrait Of Wizkid’s First Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.