Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True (1108 Views)

10 Things You'll Find In Ladies Handbags / REVIEW: You Won't Die If You Wait For The DVD Release Of 'being Mrs Elliot' / If You Haven't Tasted A Bad Apple , You Won't Appreciate A Good One, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by odikomo1(m): 10:11am On Oct 14, 2014
1. The word Ambulance is deliberately written backwards for a correct view in other drivers mirror.
2. The US dollar note can never be scanned or photocopied correctly by any scanner or photocopier in the world except the ones at the US treasury
3. When all the colours in the world are mixed together, you'll get the colour'BLACK'.
4. The most popular word in English language is 'THE'( you can never make a complete sentence without it.
5. The word 'READ' is the only English word that has two prounciation(one as past,the other as a present tense).
6. People will always make the mistake of using this words at the same time.(REASON WHY). Please don't do it, you are right to use one only.
7. You have always said thesame but the correct way to spell is.......... the same(separated).
8. We no longer have 9 planets but 8. The last planet pluto have since be confirmed as not a planet. So teachers please correct yourselves.
9. Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria(most lagosians don't believe this). But browse please.
10. An egg can float on a salty water(do the experiment).
These are some cool facts you should know and be sure even when you're been threatened by friends to a place a bet. Trust me you'll win.
Re: 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by almacherish(f): 10:19am On Oct 14, 2014
Ok.. Cool facts tho......
Re: 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by AKMoney1(m): 10:20am On Oct 14, 2014
Cool points though but the number 4 is not so true cos you can make many complete sentences without THE.

Examples

Nairaland is owned by Seun Osewa.

Marriage is not something you rush into.

Oluwa is involved. grin

You are an adult.

One my way home, I saw those monsters you talked about.

He is so good at it.

My mom gave her 5000 as a compensation.

The list go on and on bro....

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by MaleoPearls(m): 10:34am On Oct 14, 2014
AKMoney1:
Cool points though but the number 4 is not so true cos you can make many complete sentences without THE.

Examples

Oluwa is involved. grin

You are an adult.

He is so good at it.

I completely concur with you. (Now, where's THE here? Abi no be sentence I make?)
Re: 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by odikomo1(m): 12:21pm On Oct 14, 2014
AKMoney1:

Examples

Oluwa is involved. grin

You are an adult.

He is so good at it.

hahaha English is very wild and very interesting to discuss, perhaps we learn everyday.

People will just say a complete sentence just needs a subject, verb/predicate but end up making clauses known as dependent clauses, which are incomplete sentences, because they lack what the englishman call 'complete thought'(google this bro)

A complete thought transforms a statement with dependent clause to be self-explanatory to a good user of english.
Because of time I'll use some of your examples for proper understanding.
Nairaland is owned by seun osewa.
This sentence is a dependent clause because someone with no knowledge of nairaland will ask you what is nairaland?. But a complete sentence with a subject, verb/predicate and a complete thought will do the explanation.
Simply put........
The social media nairaland is owned by seun osewa.
Secondly you said 'oluwa is involved'.
This statement is a typical clause brother!
To make it a complete sentence i'll rather say;
Oluwa the God in Yoruba is involved. And nobody will ask what is oluwa?. This further buttress my point that 'THE'. Makes your sentence very complete. That is why it is most times unavoidable and popular. See this.....
The president of the United States is Barack Obama.
Can you smell the completness in that.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Won't Believe But Are True by AKMoney1(m): 12:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
odikomo1:

hahaha English is very wild and very interesting to discuss, perhaps we learn everyday.

People will just say a complete sentence just needs a subject, verb/predicate but end up making clauses known as dependent clauses, which are incomplete sentences, because they lack what the englishman call 'complete thought'(google this bro)

A complete thought transforms a statement with dependent clause to be self-explanatory to a good user of english.
Because of time I'll use some of your examples for proper understanding.
Nairaland is owned by seun osewa.
This sentence is a dependent clause because someone with no knowledge of nairaland will ask you what is nairaland?. But a complete sentence with a subject, verb/predicate and a complete thought will do the explanation.
Simply put........
The social media nairaland is owned by seun osewa.
Secondly you said 'oluwa is involved'.
This statement is a typical clause brother!
To make it a complete sentence i'll rather say;
Oluwa the God in Yoruba is involved. And nobody will ask what is oluwa?. This further buttress my point that 'THE'. Makes your sentence very complete. That is why it is most times unavoidable and popular. See this.....
The president of the United States is Barack Obama.
Can you smell the completness in that.

Ok sir, I guess you are my new English teacher. grin

Still without THE tongue

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know That Electricity Was Invented By NIGERIANS? / A Story Or Not.... / Brain Warmer For Divergent Thinkers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.