Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,278 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery (4408 Views)

Strife In Enugu Over Slavery Issues / Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? / Did West Africans Reach The New World? Afrocentric Fantasy Or A New Beginning? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
What are your thoughts on this?

I saw this on twitter. . (https://mobile.twitter.com/BruhSarcastic) "Blacks hate Africans cause they didn't come rescue them during slavey." And I just had a debate two weeks ago with a Jamaican about his resentment.

I have a related thread to research further if you care to follow it up. Ill give my findings.

Note: He says a lot of truth on his timeline, ignore the "sarcastic" part of his name in otherwords.

Note: American blacks correct me if I am wrong - you guys like Ghanians more, some say, Id like to know why.

Lets rebuild!
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by khukhi(f): 9:37pm On Oct 16, 2014
And I thought I had issues..
I don't think this is true. The guy who says this on his twitter account is someone who posted the dandest thing. Did you see his post about plaque...gosh!

Semen cuts plaque by 70%, suck a di*** ladies

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 9:44pm On Oct 16, 2014
khukhi:
And I thought I had issues..
I don't think this is true. The guy who says this on his twitter account is someone who posted the dandest thing. Did you see his post about semen...gosh!

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say.

Haha! I am curious because I have heard this a lot, in one way or another.

1. You people sold us.
2. Recently, you guys never came for us.

And with one American, not bashing them at all but, she said where are you from - with a big smile. I said: Nigeria. Her smile vanished. She responded, I thought you were from Ghana...they are nicer.

Just a little social experiment I guess. I never really let it bother me until last week, I guess I thought the socially aware would find us, we'd find each other.

And yes his twitter can be crazy at times lol. I too hope people respond and are not offended.
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by CrystalHeart22: 11:35pm On Oct 16, 2014
I would have to say that this is true. Ghanians are nicer than Nigerians because on the internet it is always a Nigerian who talks ill of black americans. It is even here in the USA that Nigerians speak badly of them. I read on forums of black american's experience of living or working with a Nigerian and it is always a negative experience.Nigerians call black americans akata which means nigger and an offensive word. Don't try to deny the word really means what I said, because you all know the truth. They even admit that they speak bad of black americans in their own country. I love Ghanians because they are better to accept people without relying on stereotypes that the white or jewish media paint to you. In America, they paint Africa as starving or being Tarzan roaming the jungles. There are probably still Americans who think their is still tribal warfare going on there.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 12:05am On Oct 17, 2014
CrystalHeart22:
I would have to say that this is true. Ghanians are nicer than Nigerians because on the internet it is always a Nigerian who talks ill of black americans. It is even here in the USA that Nigerians speak badly of them. I read on forums of black american's experience of living or working with a Nigerian and it is always a negative experience.Nigerians call black americans akata which means nigger and an offensive word. Don't try to deny the word really means what I said, because you all know the truth. They even admit that they speak bad of black americans in their own country. I love Ghanians because they are better to accept people without relying on stereotypes that the white or jewish media paint to you. In America, they paint Africa as starving or being Tarzan roaming the jungles. There are probably still Americans who think their is still tribal warfare going on there.

Ahh ok. Well it is good to see another side. My purpose is for us all to address the real issue: racism. But, I know that we cant overcome racism without addressing each others pain.

I think the word has gotten lost in its original meaning and unfortunately our private thoughts are on twitter; Nigerians have made it available for the world to see - and we are pissing people off from US to Britain. We didnt realize that youd read our thoughts, somehow we are foolishly allowing you to follow us and talking about you? And now it is really getting tense. I am sincerely trying to fix it. My Jamaican friend really shook me up. Ive always been unique in my family: my blackness before my tribe. I admit I am in the minority. Us Nigerians are ethnic first, patriots first and then black. Im inverted. Im black first. But it is rare, hopefully I can convince more people to see our unity first.

I know that we wont always see eye to eye but hopefully this is a first step.

We speak bad about ourselves, sure - we are one country but we arent pan nigerian, in a way you people over there are ahead because you are already pan african, you think as one black tribe. Once we become pan nigerian, we can become pan african.

Do you mind answering this so I can sort it out: do you also, like the Jamaicans, resent us because of slavery? And why us, more than Ghanians? What role do you think we had? What do you think we could have done better, when we first came to the US after independence, what should we have done?

What do Ghanians do that is different in terms of speaking? I dont think we should keep being hostile with each other. I am curious because they are the gold coast but you people tend to love them and want to do business and work with them.

Also, what do you think on your part as far as media education that can be done on your end? I will try on my end. Two people against 170 million. We will try.

Note: I will be off for a moment but I will be back.
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by traware(m): 12:15am On Oct 17, 2014
CrystalHeart22:
If you really feel this way about Nigerians,then what in Amadiohas' name are you doing on a Nigerian forum?Eh?My suggestion to you? Go to hell and burn to ashes!!! @OP Were any Nigerians who are alive today involved in the sale of Blacks to the Americas 500years ago?NO!!!Quit giving those frustrated people undeserved relevance.I am a Nigerian and I'll never supplicate to anyone
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 12:21am On Oct 17, 2014
traware:
If you really feel this way about Nigerians,then what in Amadiohas' name are you doing on a Nigerian forum?Eh?My suggestion to you? Go to hell and burn to ashes!!! @OP Were any Nigerians who are alive today involved in the sale of Blacks to the Americas 500years ago?NO!!!Quit giving those frustrated people undeserved relevance.I am a Nigerian and I'll never supplicate to anyone

Im not supplicating. Im trying to see if what my Jamaican brother (friend - he is like my brother) is saying ...true: that West Africans never came back and they resent us because of slavery. I know it may be of little relevance to you, but it isnt just one group saying this..and I dont think we ever addressed the root of those issues.

Im not talking about the sale totally, Im talking about redress. Im talking about family members or W. Africans returning to them..your argument is what white men say to us when we say Africa is underdeveloped, they tell us that was years ago.

Im a proud Nigerian but we are all black, first and foremost.
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 12:22am On Oct 17, 2014
traware:

Also, why do they like Ghanians more..out of curiosity when there was a gold coast?
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by traware(m): 12:43am On Oct 17, 2014
black247:

Im not supplicating. Im trying to see if what my Jamaican brother (friend - he is like my brother) is saying ...true: that West Africans never came back and they resent us because of slavery. I know it may be of little relevance to you, but it isnt just one group saying this..and I dont think we ever addressed the root of those issues.

Im not talking about the sale totally, Im talking about redress. Im talking about family members or W. Africans returning to them..your argument is what white men say to us when we say Africa is underdeveloped, they tell us that was years ago.

Im a proud Nigerian but we are all black, first and foremost.
What is there to redress?Are there anymore slaves working on sugar plantations in the Americas?Or are you referring to reparations?We Nigerians are not responsible for their present day failures neither are we supposed to be their baby-sitters.There are many opportunities in the US but many of the Blacks over there don't seize them and when Nigerians bring this fact to the fore to them,they begin to hate us.Forget this your 'we are all Blacks thing'.Deep down in our hearts,we are all competitors seeking for better deals for ourselves

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 12:56am On Oct 17, 2014
traware:
What is there to redress?Are there anymore slaves working on sugar plantations in the Americas?Or are you referring to reparations?We Nigerians are not responsible for their present day failures neither are we supposed to be their baby-sitters.There are many opportunities in the US but many of the Blacks over there don't seize them and when Nigerians bring this fact to the fore to them,they begin to hate us.Forget this your 'we are all Blacks thing'.Deep down in our hearts,we are all competitors seeking for better deals for ourselves

I love my Nigerian brothers, I love you too if you are. But is this the attitude that they brush up against? Nigeria and our need to compete with everything and everybody is making us an isolated nation. In my opinion, it is only our loud mouths and our arrogance that keeps other countries from totally preventing our entry.

There are countless blacks that make it...like us. There are poor people like us. Im not asking for their reparations, if Africa had no decency for us ..what makes them gain benefit? Im trying to figure out the strange phenomena: them oddly relating and loving Ghana when more of them are probably Igbo. Im talking about their belief that we couldve done something more. And it is not just blacks, Jamaicans feel the same, oddly enough. Does anyone but me care to go to the root of our division and their dissension?

Maybe culturally us Nigerians arent really into what Im into (black unity!), Im the odd man out. But, I do have hope that our abrasive competitiveness will fade when it comes to nation building.

Xenophobia is not for our burden but when so many see us as having a horrible approach, when will WE self reflect? I feel like one day we will get ambushed. Take a look at how our own African neighbors treat us. I defend us passionately, but look at how they too resent us. At any point do we stop and ask why?
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by bigfrancis21: 4:34am On Oct 17, 2014
black247:

Also, why do they like Ghanians more..out of curiosity when there was a gold coast?

Ghanians are more accepting of the black diaspora than Nigeria is. Ghana is the one of the first countries in Africa to officially throw her doors open to welcome back AAs, and afro-caribbeans wishig to return back to Africa. Their actions indicate a sense of welcome, openness and warmth to the returnees and make them feel welcome and at home. Subsequently, many have taken up permanent residency in Ghana.

Nigeria, on the other hand, has not taken any significant action to address the issue of slavery or instituted official programs that are directed sspecifically towards welcoming AAs and afro-caribbeans willing to return to Nigeria. Nigeria seems to just don't care about extending the hand of brotherhood to them. From the view point of AAs and afro-caribs, Nigeria's lackluster and lackadaisical attitude towards them appears cold and unwelcoming to them. Also, Nigeria's deep culture and strong attachment to one's village might make it hard to integrate returning diaspora blacks back to Nigeria. In the Nigerian culture where everyone is identified by the village he comes from and not by his state of birth, which is the method of identification of someone in US, if these returnees returned, what villages in Nigeria would they attach themselves to? Which village would they claim to be from? Which village and state would the children of these returnees born in Nigeria claim given that identification in Nigeria isn't by state of birth rather by state of ancestral origin? Of course the Nigerian-born kids of the returnees cannot claim, 'I am a Lagosian' because they were born in Lagos because the next question that would be asked is, 'what LGA or local government are you from?' The question-answer session then turns into a deadlock. Also, are Nigerians willing to be wholly accepting of these returnees? Would Nigerians regard them as their own just as they regard other Nigerians or still see partially them as foreigners(called Obruni in Ghana)? Do Nigerian tribes have an assimilation system in place for foreigners willing to assimiliate into their culture and village? For sure, many Igbo villages are quite closed and tight to assimiliating non-natives into their village. Returnees of Igbo ancestry are bound to find it difficult assimiliating into the Igbo community. The Yorubas are more accepting of returnees than the Igbos are.

During the end of the slave trade era, some Yorubas and Igbos made it back to Africa. While many of the Yorubas returned to Yorubaland (Lagos especially) and were welcomed, given land for settlement(Yaba is one of them) and re-acculturated back into the Yoruba culture, the Igbo returnees dodged Igboland went to Equatorial Guinea instead for fear of being tagged slaves or 'oru' or subjected to slave status by other Igbos. These returnees understood deeply the Igbo culture how tight-fisted Igbos are towards non-natives and returnees alike and headed for EG instead. Only a few made it back to Nigeria, especially in the cities of Aba, Onitsha and Port-harcourt. The substantial Igbo community that headed for EG, combined with recent Immigrant arrivals established an Igbo community there and explains why Igbo language is a recognized language by the government of EG today.

In some way, our Jamaican, AA, caribbean brothers may be right after all. Nigerians may not be as nice to them as Ghanians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by khukhi(f): 4:44am On Oct 17, 2014
CrystalHeart22:

I didn't know this ....
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by khukhi(f): 4:47am On Oct 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Ghanians are more accepting of the black diaspora than Nigeria is. Ghana is the one of the first countries in Africa to officially throw her doors open to welcome back AAs, and afro-caribbeans wishig to return back to Africa. Their actions indicate a sense of welcome, openness and warmth to the returnees and make them feel welcome and at home. Subsequently, many have taken up permanent residency in Ghana.

Nigeria, on the other hand, has not taken any significant action to address the issue of slavery or instituted official programs that are directed sspecifically towards welcoming AAs and afro-caribbeans willing to return to Nigeria. Nigeria seems to just don't care about extending the hand of brotherhood to them. From the view point of AAs and afro-caribs, Nigeria appears cold and unwelcoming to them. Also, Nigeria's deep culture and strong attachment to one's village might make it hard to integrate returning diaspora blacks back to Nigeria. In the Nigerian culture where everyone is identified by the village he comes from and not by his state of birth, which is the method of identification of someone in US, if these returnees returned, what villages in Nigeria would they attach themselves to? Which village would they claim to be from? Which village and state would the children of these returnees born in Nigeria claim given that identification in Nigeria isn't by state of birth rather by state of ancestral origin? Of course the Nigerian-born kids of the returnees cannot claim, 'I am a Lagosian' because they were born in Lagos because the next question that would be asked is, 'what LGA or local govenrment are you from?' The question-answer session then becomes a dead-end. Also, are Nigerians willing to be wholly accepting of these returnees? Would Nigerians regard them as their own just as they regard other Nigerians or still see partially them as foreigners(called Obruni in Ghana)? Do Nigerian tribes have an assimilation system in place for foreigners willing to assimiliate into their culture and village? For sure, many Igbo villages are quite closed and tight to assimiliating non-natives into their village. Returnees of Igbo ancestry are bound to find it difficult assimiliating into the Igbo community. The Yorubas are more accepting of returnees than the Igbos are.

During the end of the slave trade era, some Yorubas and Igbos made it back to Africa. While many of the Yorubas returned to Yorubaland (Lagos especially) and were welcomed, given land for settlement(Yaba is one of them) and re-acculturated back into the Yoruba culture, the Igbo returnees dodged Igboland went to Equatorial Guinea instead for fear of being tagged slaves or 'oru' or subjected to slave status by other Igbos. These returnees understood deeply the Igbo culture how tight-fisted Igbos are towards non-natives and returnees alike and headed for EG instead. Only a few made it back to Nigeria, especially in the cities of Aba, Onitsha and Port-harcourt. The substantial Igbo community that headed for EG, combined with recent Immigrant arrivals established an Igbo community there and explains why Igbo language is a recognized language by the government of EG today.

In some way, our Jamaican, AA, caribbean brothers may be right after all. Nigerians may not be as nice to them as Ghanians.
l

Very informative comment.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by CrystalHeart22: 7:25am On Oct 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Nigeria, on the other hand, has not taken any significant action to address the issue of slavery or instituted official programs that are directed sspecifically towards welcoming AAs and afro-caribbeans willing to return to Nigeria. Nigeria seems to just don't care about extending the hand of brotherhood to them. From the view point of AAs and afro-caribs, Nigeria's lackluster and lackadaisical attitude towards them appears cold and unwelcoming to them. Also, Nigeria's deep culture and strong attachment to one's village might make it hard to integrate returning diaspora blacks back to Nigeria. In the Nigerian culture where everyone is identified by the village he comes from and not by his state of birth, which is the method of identification of someone in US, if these returnees returned, what villages in Nigeria would they attach themselves to? Which village would they claim to be from? Which village and state would the children of these returnees born in Nigeria claim given that identification in Nigeria isn't by state of birth rather by state of ancestral origin? Of course the Nigerian-born kids of the returnees cannot claim, 'I am a Lagosian' because they were born in Lagos because the next question that would be asked is, 'what LGA or local government are you from?' The question-answer session then turns into a deadlock. Also, are Nigerians willing to be wholly accepting of these returnees? Would Nigerians regard them as their own just as they regard other Nigerians or still see partially them as foreigners(called Obruni in Ghana)? Do Nigerian tribes have an assimilation system in place for foreigners willing to assimiliate into their culture and village? For sure, many Igbo villages are quite closed and tight to assimiliating non-natives into their village. Returnees of Igbo ancestry are bound to find it difficult assimiliating into the Igbo community. The Yorubas are more accepting of returnees than the Igbos are.

You said every word like a King.

2 Likes

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by mywakeupcall: 12:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
CrystalHeart22:

You said every word like a King.
bigfrancis21:

crap
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2014
bigfrancis21:

This was so deep and thorough black man! I appreciate you and respect the time and effort you placed here! You didnt give me a snippy answer and you certainly didnt half step!! Right after you pointed me in the right direction, I copied and pasted and added this to a folder!! I plan on having some sort of dialogue, not sure what the title will be, but this will be COVERED! I am Very Very Very Very Very Very grateful bruh!!!

THANK YOU.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 1:06pm On Oct 17, 2014
mywakeupcall:

crap

Dont shiit on anyone in here or anything this man said, he gave me everything that I need and Im sure anyone with an ounce of curiosity or inspired to go down this path..will agree with me, so please kindly f.u.cck off!! Wont waste not a second more on you bruh! But again finally f..u.ck off.
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by bigfrancis21: 1:25pm On Oct 17, 2014
^^^ You need not have replied him. Some people on this forum are just plain trolls, having nothing intellectual to contribute. Just ignore them, they are hardly worth your time.

Thanks for your comment.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by mywakeupcall: 1:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
commonsense took a holiday on ya. talkin bout the man led ya. hahaha . too weak, too dumb. it's the 21st century coocookaka
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by fightforchange1(f): 4:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
Would it socially acceptable for afro american to return to Nigeria
People spout this rhetoric on the net...but would it b possible...
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by letu(m): 5:02pm On Oct 17, 2014
black247:
What are your thoughts on this?

I saw this on twitter. . (https://mobile.twitter.com/BruhSarcastic) "Blacks hate Africans cause they didn't come rescue them during slavey." And I just had a debate two weeks ago with a Jamaican about his resentment.

I have a related thread to research further if you care to follow it up. Ill give my findings.

Note: He says a lot of truth on his timeline, ignore the "sarcastic" part of his name in otherwords.

Note: American blacks correct me if I am wrong - you guys like Ghanians more, some say, Id like to know why.

Lets rebuild!

Is that way the join the oyibos (white), in destroying and desecrating Africa in the name of colonialism e. g the black american soldier of colonial rule in Africa, (Caribbean)
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by letu(m): 6:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
black247:

Haha! I am curious because I have heard this a lot, in one way or another.

1. You people sold us.
2. Recently, you guys never came for us.

And with one American, not bashing them at all but, she said where are you from - with a big smile. I said: Nigeria. Her smile vanished. She responded, I thought you were from Ghana...they are nicer.

Just a little social experiment I guess. I never really let it bother me until last week, I guess I thought the socially aware would find us, we'd find each other.

And yes his twitter can be crazy at times lol. I too hope people respond and are not offended.
hi, one thing you don't know is that the same black america where part of the British army that desecrated our Nigeria ancestral land in the name of colonialism.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
I personally never had much issues with West Africans in real life only on the internet.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
letu:
hi, one thing you don't know is that the same black america where part of the British army that desecrated our Nigeria ancestral land in the name of colonialism.

How when Black Americans were enslaved by Americans? And not the British. By the time of colonization America had already been independent of Britain. So how were AA's free or enslaved apart of the British army?? Unless I'm missing something.
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by fightforchange1(f): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2014
KidStranglehold:
I personally never had much issues with West Africans in real life only on the internet.

They talk mad trash on the internet....

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by fightforchange1(f): 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
fightforchange1:

They talk mad trash on the internet....
I had an encounter with a Kenyan guy who called american folks wannabe people...

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by CrystalHeart22: 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
Most Nigerians talk trash to American blacks on the internet. I once heard a latino guy say Africans talk mad crap about usa blacks in Africa. And don't get me wrong black americans talk trash on the internet about africans as well. And it not only Nigerians, it is Somalians as well.

2 Likes

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by fightforchange1(f): 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
CrystalHeart22:
Most Nigerians talk trash to American blacks on the internet. I once heard a latino guy say Africans talk mad crap about usa blacks in Africa. And don't get me wrong black americans talk trash on the internet about africans as well. And it not only Nigerians, it is Somalians as well.

Share the story about the aa talking trash to the afro person...it seems a bit unusual to me...

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by fightforchange1(f): 9:30pm On Oct 17, 2014
All y'all visit YouTube thats where youll see the deepest most ignorant comments directed towards African Americans by by afro people.

1 Like

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 2:39am On Oct 18, 2014
Wanted to update you, I found that @bigfrancis21 was right!

Here is the info that I found:

Ghanaians were welcoming to the freed slaves, so that is why Jamaicans, African Americans, even Brazilians etc love them so much. I thought it was so strange because Ghana has an emblem of slavery right on their land? But, no they still like them more and I believe they are more welcoming. See an article I found below..if anyone else is fascinated with how slavery disrupted Africa like me (I really am now, I think what we ignore has affected us now on the continent) have a look: (I owe my Jamaican fam - HUGE heated debate!! and Bigfrancis a big thanks for getting me started on my studies in this area) see below

In the slum area of Jamestown – a fishing community in Accra's city centre littered with tattered colonial buildings – one house stands out. Painted bright yellow, with large windows, Brazil House stands between the hustle and bustle of the city and the windy Atlantic Ocean.

The house was built by the Tabom people – former African slaves who left, or were deported from, Brazil after slave revolts in 1835. Freed African-Brazilian slaves settled in many west African countries, but in Ghana they received a particularly warm welcome. Given land by a local chief, they settled around Jamestown, starting businesses, agricultural ventures and even trading slaves themselves.

Brazil House has now been restored as a gesture of friendship between the governments of Ghana and Brazil, in recognition of their shared past. Relations between the two countries are described as excellent, and Brazil is investing heavily in mechanising Ghana's agriculture and food production, and in a $300m (£190m) hydroelectric dam project, as well as providing aid.

Historical relics such as Brazil House have played their part in attracting thousands of people from the African diaspora – across South America, the Caribbean, the US and Europe – to live and set up shop in Ghana.

"There's unlimited opportunity in Ghana," says David Baldwin Barnes, 30, a US-based entrepreneur of Jamaican and Haitian descent, and president of agriculture firm Solve, which provides services and consulting to farmers and "agripreneurs" in Ghana.

"[But] starting a business in Ghana is challenging for someone who is unfamiliar with the societal mentality that influences behaviour across all sectors of life, including how business is done," he adds. "It's not the amount of bureaucracy that's the issue, it's the culture of the bureaucracy that you have to learn coming from a different business and regulatory environment."

In 2007, the Ghanaian government celebrated the 50th anniversary of independence and the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade with the Joseph Project, which encouraged the African diaspora to visit Ghana.

A Right to Abode Act was passed in 2001 giving members of the African diaspora the right to live and work in Ghana, the first legislation of this kind by an African country. "We have helped the diaspora to come to Ghana by this piece of legislation, which enables them to live and work here without the need for a visa," says Ebenezer Appreku, legal director at the foreign affairs ministry.

However, many complain that while Ghanaian governments have appeared welcoming to the diaspora, that has not always translated into policy to smooth the process of working in Ghana. "We have been frustrated by red tape," says Cassandra Davis, 58, from the US, who moved to the country with her husband in 2011. "We are entitled to residency, the right to work, the right to abode, but it takes a long time."

Government policy on "returnees" has been increasingly looking to more recent Ghanaian migrants – many of whom are skilled workers who left the country during economic turmoil seeking opportunities in Europe and the US.

"The government has identified Ghanaians in the diaspora as a priority area, to strengthen their relationship, and to harness their skills and expertise through returning home or contributing remittances," says Dyane Epstein, mission chief of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM). "Six countries in particular – the US, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Canada – tend to have large numbers of Ghanaian professionals and academics."

The IOM has been working with the Ghanaian government to establish a diaspora support unit (DSU) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with funding from the German government, to help Ghanaian migrants strengthen ties with the country. That relationship has not always gone smoothly. "Ghanaians abroad have experienced problems when they have tried to send charitable donations here," says Appreku, who leads the DSU. "Now we intervene to help with the clearance."

Work to support the diaspora is hampered by a lack of basic data on its size. Estimates put the number of Ghanaians abroad at between 1 million and 3 million – but that does not include the unknown numbers who have already returned. The IOM is working with the government and the European commission to try to improve data collection on migration. What is known is that Ghanaians living overseas sent home about $119m in remittances in 2011.

Migrants from the broader African diaspora face a bigger struggle finding acceptance in Ghana. Many feel that although the Right of Abode act goes some way to paving the way for their return, much more needs to be done to allow them to integrate into society.

Anecdotal evidence from associations created for people from the diaspora who move to Ghana suggests their numbers are rising. "As far as the numbers of African-Americans in Ghana are concerned, we don't have any figures, but I estimate it to be at least in the thousands," says Davis. "But this year we are getting a record number of inquiries to our website from people saying they are thinking of moving to Ghana in 2013. I think this year is really going to set a precedent for numbers of returnees."

3 Likes

Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 2:42am On Oct 18, 2014
Just in case anyone wants to review this, I ordered it:

The Angry Gods of Africa
By Yao Foli Modey

I am interested in rebuilding my relationship with our brothers and sisters!

It is a historical novel - so he tries to illustrate facts that happened through story.

@crystalheart22 @fightforchange1 Maybe we can all build bridges!

THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS!!
Re: The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery by black247: 2:52am On Oct 18, 2014
Here is description

In this epochal historical novel, Professor Modey takes another look at the both the European slave trade to Africa and plantation slavery in the New World, both are old subjects. He dramatizes an imaginary journey of apology and shows how a delegation from fundamentalist groups from the former Old South traveled to Africa to show genuine remorse, make atonement and ask for reconciliation from the chiefs. He points out how the Europeans and Americans, who had the lion’s share of the trade and made tons of wealth from it, must go past the sugar coated words of apology---make “atonement” for the profane past and ask for final reconciliation.

He points out in the book that regardless of what people think, Africans did not invite the Europeans to their shores to buy their blood brothers and sisters. The “Oburonis” just showed up in Africa, but claimed that they just stumbled upon the continent. They imposed the slave trade on the African people using their guns and cannons to force the chiefs to exchange prisoners of war for guns, broadcloth and rum. So he said Africans are the victims and should not be going around doing all the apologizing and performing atonement rituals.

The opposition to the slave trade from the African chiefs and kings is well-dramatized in the historical novel. He discusses the physical and demographic effects of the “mfecane” in detail. He demonstrated that the most lasting impacts are the psychological scars---inferiority complex in Africans everywhere and institutionalized racism across the globe. Hence the struggles to overcome the forces---betrayal, disunity, distrust and, unlike the recent economic success of Asian nations, the African leaders’ inability to experience similar success in the modern global economy effectively, he blames on the Americans and Europeans because of the stigma.

He discusses efforts to apologize for the slave trade---the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Southern Baptists, the USA Congress and Senate, several American states such as Virginia, North Carolina and New Jersey. But Professor Modey points out that, instead of sweet sugar-coated words of apologies, the African leaders need atonement---help for Africa to heal from the lingering effects of the notorious slave trade. But he wants the Europeans and Americans to put Africa back where it once was before their ancestors came and decimated the continent with the wicked trade and destroyed the continent at iconoclastic proportions.

Though the setting of the book is the Panfest festival at Cape Coast, Ghana, highlighting the dungeons, the Palaver Hall, the Portuguese chapels, the cannons, the lighthouse and the Shrine of Music, the author uses Memphis, Tennessee to demonstrate the lingering impact of plantation slavery on the Africans in the Diaspora.

The author dramatizes how time is running out for atonement and present scenarios of remarkable disastrous consequences if the descendants of the former slave trades and plantation slave owners refuse to atone for the profane past. In spite of his drama of disasters and turmoil emanating from the restless souls of the dearly departed, the book, however, ends on a note of optimism about the future---Africa shall rise and the world would eventual emerge from the ashes of the greatest calamity in global history.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evolution Of Dance In Our Society / Yoruba Philosophy: Is Eshu Odara The Biblical Satan? / Where To Buy Handmade Palm Kernel Oil In Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.