Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' (902 Views)

Big Lies We Used To Tell Friends In HIGH SCHOOL / Most Valuable Word Used On Nairaland 2014 / In what way has this ASUU strike been of help to you? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Keenysbojan(m): 11:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
F R O N T----PAGE----PLEASE...

I have been hearing this from Nigerians,I mean the way they use(d) the word 'used'..

some people use(d) it in form of present tense,but I could still remember vividly from my dico that the word 'used' is past tense..
For example:: some people would say
I used to go to church every Sunday.. (but them go still go to church on sunday again oo)
I 'used' to play football every Saturday ( but yet they will ' still ' go and play football on Saturday)
that is the school I used to go (but they are still going to the school,which they claimed that they used to go)

but instead...(to my understanding now)

I do go to church every Sunday
I do play ball every Saturday
that is the school,I do attend

but I don't know if they're correct,because I do hear it everyday from Nigerians,even from those who are well educated...

To all nairelanders:: what are your points of view?

Note: I brought this thread,coz I want to learn from my superiors...

if you see any blunder(s),please kindly ignore and go straight to you points coz no one knows it all...

thanks...

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by victorix(m): 11:31pm On Oct 17, 2014
i used to be the first to comment cheesy

"Used to" can be used as a verb or an adjective

. Used to + verb is a regular
verb and means something that happened but doesn't happen any more. It uses -ed to show past tense. But since it always means something that happened in the past, it should always use past tense. For example-

I used to go to school in ajegunle. (I went to school there before, but now I don't.) Or, When Joshua was a child, he used to climb trees. (Now he doesn't climb trees.)

also Remember, we always use this word when talking about the past. So when do you use, use to without the d at the end? When the base form of the verb is used. Look at these examples-

She didn't use to swim before noon. (Now she does swim before noon.) Or Did your father use to ride a horse? In these cases the past tense is shown with the did and didn't.

So i think if ure using the word used to or use to, it should indicate past tense.
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Keenysbojan(m): 11:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
victorix:
i used to be the first to comment cheesy
ehen hw does dat affect dos nairelanders wey wan com prosecute my thread
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
I'd be really surprised if any of these people ever saw the four walls of a classroom.

1 Like

Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by xbaron(m): 11:49pm On Oct 17, 2014
I used to trek by when ever i saw a new thread#i fink em doin it nw# grin
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Keenysbojan(m): 12:01am On Oct 18, 2014
xbaron:
I used to trek by when ever i saw a new thread#i fink em doin it nw# grin
Buhahahahahahahahaha baron lee my padi... got ya
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Keenysbojan(m): 12:10am On Oct 18, 2014
CoolHunk:
I'd be really surprised if any of these people ever saw the four walls of a classroom.
who are the people?
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:23am On Oct 18, 2014
Keenysbojan:
F R O N T----PAGE----PLEASE...

I have been hearing this from Nigerians,I mean the way they use(d) the word 'used'..

some people use(d) it in form of present tense,but I could still remember vividly from my dico that the word 'used' is past tense..
For example:: some people would say
I used to go to church every Sunday.. (but them go still go to church on sunday again oo)
I 'used' to play football every Saturday ( but yet they will ' still ' go and play football on Saturday)
that is the school I used to go (but they are still going to the school,which they claimed that they used to go)

but instead...(to my understanding now)

I do go to church every Sunday
I do play ball every Saturday
that is the school,I do attend

but I don't know if they're correct,because I do hear it everyday from Nigerians,even from those who are well educated...

To all nairelanders:: what are your points of view?

Note: I brought this thread,coz I want to learn from my superiors...

if you see any blunder(s),please kindly ignore and go straight to you points coz no one knows it all...

thanks...

Yours Faithfully
k e e n y s b o j a n
Point of correction: "Hearing" as a verb? No way...
Now to d main issue...Thank God u recognized it's "used to" and not "use to" as there is nothing lyk "use to".."Used to" is simply used for showing an action which was done in d past..
Re: In What Way Can We Use The Word 'used To' by xbaron(m): 12:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
Keenysbojan:
Buhahahahahahahahaha baron lee my padi... got ya

Chai!nah you b dis#dem don pull down ur comment sha#deris God oo grin

(1) (Reply)

2015/2016 Dr. Murtala Muhammed Scholarships For Nigerians / Top Five(5) Underrated & Underappreciated Courses In Nigerian Universities / For Unizik Post Utme Past Questions For All Faculties, Go To Www.chssag.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.