Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,167 members, 7,957,363 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:33 AM

'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism (893 Views)

Types Of People You Come Across In A Football Viewing Centre / List Of Highest Paid Nigerian Footballers Abroad / List Of Nigerian Footballers Who Have Died On The Field. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism by Sanchez01: 10:40pm On Oct 20, 2014
I came across this piece on Goal.com and thought I should share. The website has been exposing hideous corruption practices which has eaten deep into our footballing system.

Since we published the article about corruption at the grassroots on Saturday, we have received a couple of emails from young
Nigerians who have been
affected by the malaise.

It is important that we bring to the attention of Goal readers the voices of these young men who have been frustrated by the system.

Our plan is to continue publishing these articles as they come so that we might in our little way prick the consciences of these
coaches and sporting directors who deny young people of reaching their dreams in the
football space by shutting them out at football academies.

Even though we have left the entries as much as possible in their original state, they have
been edited for clarity.

“My name is Bamidele. I am a young footballer. I am a Nigerian. I played at several football
academies and grassroots football clubs but due to my family background, my dad is late,
but my mum is the one struggling for me to be a footballer. She has tried her best for me to achieve my goal but due to [the fact that]
she is a woman and she did know any coach, scout or agent to help me, I just go to many football trials and screening without being
noticed. Sometimes they don't even allow me into the trials stadium or premises. It has
saddened my heart all these years.
I TRAINED EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE TO BE A SUPERSTAR, SO ONE DAY I WILL HELP MY COUNTRY. I have gone to Nigeria U17 trials but
due to [the fact] I did not know anybody who will stand for me... But I have one thing some don't have, which is GOD ALMIGHTY....AND I KNOW I WILL SURELY ACHIEVE MY GOAL AND
DREAM...BECAUSE I WILL NEVER QUIT.”
By Dele Anibaba

“Many times at Youth level, after screening session what you will start to hear is the slang "who carry you come" [who is your
godfather] not minding your performance.

Those ones who one Alhaji or the other Alhaji sent will be picked and the sons of nobody will be dropped. You will start to think, "Am I not a Nigerian"? It is painful but it has happened to many of my friends.”
By Eze Paschal

“Good day. I am Chimeziri Emmanuel. I was so happy when I read your write up about
Joseph’s story on Goal.com. I am very happy because that is what is happening in our country Nigeria. In Nigeria everything is
politics and connection. I am 16 years Old. I play with an academy in Anambra and the name of my academy is Harkdoves Football
Club. I am a right winger. I have tried all my best to play in professional leagues and to be
a professional footballer but because I don't have the connection my dream and destiny is dying small small. And that is what is happening to many young talented footballers now. Like me if I can get a sponsor I will be
very happy. Thank you all once again. Keep it
Up.”
By Chimeziri Emmanuel

“I have been playing football since only God knows how long, I was so good that when most of my mates see me they ask me why
have I not been in Europe.

In 2012 there was a screening in conjunction with [a telecoms
company and a Premier League club], the registration cost 3000 Naira. In each of the centres 5 players were chosen. On the day of the screening there was well over 1000 participants. After the whole screening for 3 days I made the final 22 man list. We played
11 vs 11 at Old Parade Ground Abuja. After everything, one of the coaches pulled me to one side and said I'll have to provide 50
thousand Naira if I am to make the final list. I couldn't even afford my transport to the
screening centre not to talk of providing such huge amount of money. That was how I lost
that opportunity of going to [England] for a trial which with my ability I knew I'll definitely
pass. Since then I gave up football and now work in a factory where I get paid 15000 Naira every month.”
By Emeka Nwachukwu from Abuja

Do you have a story about being shut out of a football academy because you didn’t have a
godfather or rich parent to pay your way?

Write to us via nigeriadesk@goal.com and we
will publish it. Help us make a change.
Re: 'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism by Sanchez01: 10:48pm On Oct 20, 2014
I guess it explains how the likes of Sanni Keita made his way into the Super Eagles and why the Mikel has stayed as Eagles' number one despite being a bench warmer at Chelsea. We have bunch of talents, yet struggle and end up recycling slow pokes.
Re: 'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism by emperortony: 11:27pm On Oct 20, 2014
There is hardly any section of this country called NIGERIA where you don't find "Nepotism" And this explains, why we are where we are today. Nepotism- where the strong dies off and the weak survive!!!
Re: 'who Carry You Come?' Young Nigerian Footballers Speak On Nepotism by tuffgongjo(m): 11:28am On Oct 21, 2014
Nepotism is so rampant in nigeria that you can even find it in family dealings.

(1) (Reply)

CAF Bans Morocco For Seeking AFCON Postponement Over Ebola / Adebayor's 'jujuman' Confesses...says The Devil Used Him In Doing Mother's Wish / Mikel Scores First Uefa Champions League Goal...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.