Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents (52051 Views)

Top Ten Sexiest Accents / Do Nigerians Who Study And Live In The US Lose Their Accents As Fast As Kenyans / Nigerians & Foreign Accents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by jimmy101231(m): 10:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
Naija with copy copy sha
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by eyan1: 10:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
In the first place, we burrowed this language from british, i see nothing wrong by adhering to it accents...
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
oga will you tell van gal , mourhino or wenger that they speak bad english because they got accent . they are all english club coaches . we should learn to understand what fluency is .... good, precise and clear communication ... not forming a manner of talking . every other national who has not got their native language as englsh has got an accent and they dont try to change it . they learn the basics of writing, reading and commuincating not accent. you understand now.

and are these your role models for proper English?

I am sure they worked on themselves to get to where they are now and are probably still trying to get better and I respect that fact. But i dont respect complacency. If you speak in a typical african accent with all the wrong pronunciations and all, a lot of people that speak proper English wont correct you, but you will still be looked down upon. We can definitely agree to disagree but my point is that we should not rest on our oars. English is not out mother tongue but that shouldnt be an excuse to not speak proper english. Its just like an Ibo actress speaking yoruba. if she doesnt get the pronunciations right, you'll say s/he is not fluent but if she speaks without an ibo accent, you'll say she speaks yoruba BETTER than even the natives. why does english have to be different?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by JackBizzle: 10:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
annoymous:

I am sure they worked on themselves to get to where they are now and are probably still trying to get better and I respect that fact. But i dont respect complacency. If you speak in a typical african accent with all the wrong pronunciations and all, a lot of people that speak proper English wont correct you, but you will still be looked down upon. We can definitely agree to disagree but my point is that we should not rest on our oars. English is not out mother tongue but that shouldnt be an excuse to not speak proper english. Its just like an Ibo actress speaking yoruba. if she doesnt get the pronunciations right, you'll say s/he is not fluent but if she speaks without an ibo accent, you'll say she speaks yoruba BETTER than even the natives. why does english have to be different?

We are not Togolese. English is our official language.

British people do not even focus on phonetics in school. They accept various accents. Do you think the phonetics in the dictionary goes with Irish/Scottish pronunciations?

Jamaicans speak with their Jamaican accent.
Irish speak with Irish accent
Nigerians speak with British/American accent

Something is wrong here

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by 4C2215131: 10:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
would you link an accent of a south african to the economic status overthere.

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by 360command: 10:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
Trust me, those radio presenters are not close to any foreign accent ,surprise to read comments about people writing about the radio presenters having foreign accent. Those who don travel go tell u say radio presenters no dey try for the foreign accent. Na those wey don dey 9ja go reason say radio presenters get foreign accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 01, 2014
Hey yo @ Op wadup. Saw ya post earlier on thut of comentn buh instead of making an ass outa myself decided to kip it cool headedly til i see the wasup with this post.

Buh mehn wadup with ya hating dudes who got or forms(as you wish) tha brit or yankee accent. You got any? Yeah you got, everybodi got an acent, who knows you wana be fluent in your lang like ya dada or mama or that oldie in ya town that speaks ya local dialect like crazy you wandar who else speaks that way.

Enuf beating about the bush. Hey listen up everybody wana be beta if not beta than anybodi else, infact what you cal the Nigerian acent is the way Nigerians speak the borowd lang(get that)

that lang is cald English from the brit, so you speak it like the brit no offence (whatsoever) thats just it anything les sounds conspicious now thats what you hatin about, hating people who want and tryna speak it rigt. C'mon.

You wana speak english speak it like the brit buh if you can't, get your a*s a life and work on it or rol along yor boat stop hating.

God bles Nija.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by JackBizzle: 10:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
360command:
Trust me, those radio presenters are not close to any foreign accent ,surprise to read comments about people writing about the radio presenters having foreign accent. Those who don travel go tell u say radio presenters no dey try for the foreign accent. Na those wey don dey 9ja go reason say radio presenters get foreign accent.

you are the local one here......these radio presenter TRY to form American accents. If they had pure American accents, we would be assuming they were white people

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by JackBizzle: 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
donclichy:
Hey yo @ Op wadup. Saw ya post earlier on thut of comentn buh instead of making an ass outa myself decided to kip it cool headedly til i see the wasup with this post.

Buh mehn wadup with ya hating dudes who got or forms(as you wish) tha brit or yankee accent. You got any? Yeah you got, everybodi got an acent, who knows you wana be fluent in your lang like ya dada or mama or that oldie in ya town that speaks ya local dialect like crazy you wandar who else speaks that way.

Enuf beating about the bush. Hey listen up everybody wana be beta if not beta than anybodi else, infact what you cal the Nigerian acent is the way Nigerians speak the borowd lang(get that)

that lang is cald English from the brit, so you speak it like the brit no offence (whatsoever) thats just it anything les sounds conspicious now thats what you hatin about, hating people who want and tryna speak it rigt. C'mon.

You wana speak english speak it like the brit buh if you can't, get your a*s a life and work on it or rol along yor boat stop hating.

God bles Nija.

I usually fail students who write English like you.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 01, 2014
Tpharell:
The thing about this UK/US accent is you either have it or you don't! If you don't belief me try listening to Keshi, Yobo and the likes who have live in Europe.
those guys you mentioned dont speak good english .... listen to their interviews properly again.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2014
ferdimako:

You go to both countries to acquire education and citizenship... and it is accent acquisition you are against. Go the whole hug! ....the whole bang. And exhibit it...that is the idea now on.
how about if he thinks with an accent .... go to the whole hug , who bang and exhibit the positive thinking and proper manner of talking to people not " accent "
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

British people do not even focus on phonetics in school. They accept various accents. Do you think the phonetics in the dictionary goes with Irish/Scottish pronunciations?

Something is wrong here
Yo, nuting is rong just that we want to do it right.

If you want to speak the Nigerian acent its also cul.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

I usually fail students who write English like you.
damn who rites that way in any test
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 01, 2014
tpia6:

The point is as long as what you're saying is intelligible, nobody bothers getting an attitude over whether you have an accent or not.

I mean , whoever is going to hate you will not say its because you spoke with one accent or another.
I understand you completely .... talk with your real accent but dont think with an accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by tpia6: 10:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
Talk and think with whatever accent you are comfortable with.

It makes no difference to me personally.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
Climax4:
My brother i tire for this ooo more epecially the beat 97.9fm ibadan people like Dolakpo and coy speaking forcing body english that is nt even 4rm their heart
dem no wan talk like ojo babes or bere babes wey dem be ... I dont see their career progress anyways . if you listen to MC's of government functions and programmes ... they speak fluently not with a forced accent same with majority news casters on our nigerian tv stations . abike dabiri speaks fluently , fumi iyanda speaks fluently , lara owo eye wise speaks fluently , elizabeth banu speaks fluently ... they all speak fluently not with an accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

You are exposing your fakeness.

You dont have cable or satellite in Nigeria and you were watching American shows abi?

What percentage of time do NTA, AIT and other local channels show American shows on their network?

Sorry, you cant have American accent in Nigeria unless you live with American people. Even at that, your accent will be tainted if you talk with normal Nigerians.

I have seen this with relocated British and Russians......their foreign accents start to get a slight Nigerian intonation.....not to talk of a pako like you.

commot jo...
actually there was no ait then self ... we only had nta and state televisions that aired at 4 pm and then starts with the news , then cartoons and then news again and then local movies .... so I wonder where soaps BET programmes aired.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 01, 2014
eyan1:
In the first place, we burrowed this language from british, i see nothing wrong by adhering to it accents...
we can choose to return the language if it is not aiding our development . we are never proud of anything Nigerian . I attended a standard secondary school where you have children who travel out during holidays and when it's the start of a new term you are laughed at when you wear shoes or bring stuffs made from Nigeria . if we cant learn to appreciate ourselves for who we are then we are going no where . china still have strong preference for people who can speak english and chinese/ madrin than those who can speak english alone. thats not the case in Nigeria , when you can speak english then you are good to go .... and thats why some kids cannot speak their native languages. what do we make of this?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by LyfeJennings(m): 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

You are exposing your fakeness.

You dont have cable or satellite in Nigeria and you were watching American shows abi?

What percentage of time do NTA, AIT and other local channels show American shows on their network?

Sorry, you cant have American accent in Nigeria unless you live with American people. Even at that, your accent will be tainted if you talk with normal Nigerians.

I have seen this with relocated British and Russians......their foreign accents start to get a slight Nigerian intonation.....not to talk of a pako like you.

commot jo...

U make me smile....
Silence is the best answer not violence
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Appswheel(m): 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2014
just yesterday a lady at the canteen while making an order for food pronouned "pomo" n "saki" phonetically. e do me like say make i knock her.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 01, 2014
annoymous:

hey man , you are not looked down at because of your accent but because of how you think . would you tell me that afghanistan girl malaba or somethn is being looked down at because of how she speaks , there are many africans doing great , they speak with accent , are they looked down at ... you should watch market place africa and inside africa on CNN .... do the arabs fake an accent ,do you know how many germans manfacturers speak with accents and are they looked down at ... there is more to being productive than to your accent . you faking an accent doesnt mean you are productive . I cited those guys because they are popular folks that manage " british clubs " . I repeat fluency is different from an accent . I speak fluently but I have got an african accent ... how do I know . I have passed TOEFL and had a B in cambridge.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

Something is wrong here
they cant see what is wrong ... that the " wanna be " syndrome is a problem we have to deal with.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
hey man , you are not looked down at because of your accent but because of how you think . would you tell me that afghanistan girl malaba or somethn is being looked down at because of how she speaks , there are many africans doing great , they speak with accent , are they looked down at ... you should watch market place africa and inside africa on CNN .... do the arabs fake an accent ,do you know how many germans manfacturers speak with accents and are they looked down at ... there is more to being productive than to your accent . you faking an accent doesnt mean you are productive . I cited those guys because they are popular folks that manage " british clubs " . I repeat fluency is different from an accent . I speak fluently but I have got an african accent ... how do I know . I have passed TOEFL and had a B in cambridge.

JackBizzle:

Something is wrong here

We can definitely agree to disagree.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
tpia6:
Talk and think with whatever accent you are comfortable with.

It makes no difference to me personally.
do you actually know what it means to think with an accent ... you should check that up . talk with an accent tht makes the majority understand you if possible .
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

Something is wrong here
An educated Jamaican speaks proper English. Try watching a Jamaican news channel.

Irish, well their Phonetics is clear enough for anyone to understand. Have you wondered why Gordon brown does not speak with his Scott accent

I prefer that Nigerians not fake accent but speak clearly. The typical Nigerian pronunciation is very bad just like that of Indians.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2014
Fluency is totally different from an accent . if it is the same it will not be an option below native when asked to choose the level of proficiency of a Language. as long as english is not your native language plus the fact that some around you may not communicate with english at all times , you will definitely have an accent and dont try to fake that as long as you are fluent . fluency is key not an accent . fluency includes understanding words and accent does not involve that .some who talk with these fake accents are not fluent how do I know .... they cannot debate without having to pause so as to construct the english . I dont mean pause to think and thats why some OAP form accents on radio stations because they are not in a debae , they have the whole time to construct whatever they wish to say ... you hear them pause most times . you want to know who is fluent , bring the person to a debate.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by 360command: 11:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
JackBizzle:

you are the local one here......these radio presenter TRY to form American accents. If they had pure American accents, we would be assuming they were white people
na same thing I dey talk.oloshi!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by GboyegaD(m): 11:29pm On Nov 01, 2014
CFCfan:

I know. It's ridiculous that Nigerian celebrities who aren't American citizens, are celebrating Halloween IN Nigeria?!!

Celebrating Halloween in Nigeria? Awon eleye fit cease opportunities give people real winch ooo. I loved the decorations I saw yesterday some were damn scary.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by soledadd: 11:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
It beats me whenever i heard one Adaure Achumba of silverbird then pronounce her name as adorachomba. No matter how wide i travel or live abroad i cannot change my accent when talking with fellow blacks. But when i talk with oyibo i speak like them for better understanding. Then when its an igbo person its native language direct.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 01, 2014
We do have the corporate American accent,like the way Hilary clinton and lynda chalker speaks...

We also have the American negroid accent like the typical Brooklyn accent.Have u heared Maya Angelou,whoopy Goldberg and Witney Houston?

Finally we have the west coast/east cost accent like the way Ice cube,tupac,biggy and nate dog unleash there accent...

@op...do u mean all of these?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 01, 2014
danjumakolo:
We do have the corporate American accent,like the way Hilary clinton and lynda chalker speaks...

We also have the American negroid accent like the typical Brooklyn accent.Have u heared Maya Angelou,whoopy Goldberg and Witney Houston?

Finally we have the west coast/east cost accent like the way Ice cube,tupac,biggy and nate dog unleash there accent...

@op...do u mean all of these?
grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Foreign Accents by Abraham2013(m): 11:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
MsNas:
A lot can be said about the accent thing, but it is what is it. If you live outside Nigeria for a couple of years, your accent and pronunciation are bound to change but I won't change completely except you migrated at an earlier age (sage 16years), anything after that, your vocal cords are fully developed and you can't change your accent completely.

At least that's understandable. What about OAPs in Nigeria who haven't stepped out of Nigeria yet they speak through their noses??! Whenever I listen to any Nigerian radio station online I get so annoyed. Because they sound so ridiculous and stupid! If only they could know what they sound like. The actors and actresses are not spared too. Only God knows which country Tonto Dike's accent is from

But cut people who have lived outside of Nigeria some slack OP. The accent is bound to change definitely. If not completely but partially. I for one can switch between the Nigerian Accent and the American Accent easily. My American accent isn't flawless but it is definetely different from the Nigerian. Why do I have two accents? Well try speaking on the phone to an American with your Nigerian accent and goodluck trying to get him to understand you. Or you could try instructing a room full of undergrads in school with your Nigerian accent. You can't even get them to stop telling you to repeat yourself despite the fact that you're speaking as clearly and as slowly as possible. Some of those kids are still brats.

So Mr OP, there's absolutely nothing wrong in having two accents. Your sounding insecure or even resenting of the accent. Your wife and relatives probably lived among fellow Nigerians which is why they retained their accents. If they had lived in a white dominated state or community or even Akata dominated they will speak like them too. I chose to speak like an American but that doesn't mean I can blow your head off in Yoruba, typical of the Ibadan girl that I am smiley

I understand wat u r saying and its d truth buh u r misunderstanding d OP. Wat d OP is trying to say is dat if u r in UK or america, do ur american accent, no problem. Buh wen u come back to naija and u r in abakaliki, plz drop d american accent and speak wat people will easily comprehend.
I see no reason y a newscaster in a radio station in uyo should sound like Chris brown.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Reactions To Ooni Of Ife Prophetess Wife (Memes) / Moronke Naomi Silekunola Ogunwusi New Photos / Meet Shilekunola Moronke Naomi, Ooni Of Ife's New Wife (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.