Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,836 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty (2564 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 9:48pm On Oct 28, 2014
I drive 1997 Volkswagen golf. I got it 7 months ago. my fuel tank capacity is 60litres (plus reserve). I have taken note of fuel consumption rate of the car several times. it used to give me 400km (+/-15km) thereabout when I just got the car in March till around June. After which its fuel efficiency start dropping till today. I get roughly around 300km with 60litres gas now. I use AC all the time anyway, I read the car' s review online. I discovered the full tank should give up to 500km (combining city and highway trips). I drive on Lekki expressway to and fro mostly. So far, I have not done any work on the engine apart changing the oil after 4000km.

Going through a thread on NL now, I saw posts of cars covering between 500 - 600km with the same quantity of fuel- even SUVs and cars that are by far older than my golf (1990 Toyota carina)

PLS, WHAT CAN I DO
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
What engine oil did you use during the last service?
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by lekezino(m): 10:24pm On Oct 28, 2014
the problem z wit d capirator or injector... U nid to visit an mechanic esp d ones dat basd on vw...
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by lekezino(m): 10:27pm On Oct 28, 2014
next tym wen servicin ur car afler the replacement of oil try to get an oil treatment in additn for a gud efficiency of d engine
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by lekezino(m): 10:27pm On Oct 28, 2014
next tym wen servicin ur car afler the replacement of oil try to get an oil treatment in additn to d applied oil for a gud efficiency of d engine
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 10:51pm On Oct 28, 2014
IdaraCHODB:
What engine oil did you use during the last service?

the car mileage when I bought it was 183000km, I serviced it that very day using Mobil.
at 186000km, I used Mobil.
at 190000km (the last service), I used total

my mileage at present is 192000km+
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 10:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
lekezino:
the problem z wit d capirator or injector... U nid to visit an mechanic esp d ones dat basd on vw...

it uses injector
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:48am On Oct 29, 2014
lekezino:
next tym wen servicin ur car afler the replacement of oil try to get an oil treatment in additn to d applied oil for a gud efficiency of d engine

Not very good advice. Making the engine oil thiker will cause the engine to burn more fuel.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:49am On Oct 29, 2014
ladycool430:
I drive 1997 Volkswagen golf. I got it 7 months ago. my fuel tank capacity is 60litres (plus reserve). I have taken note of fuel consumption rate of the car several times. it used to give me 400km (+/-15km) thereabout when I just got the car in March till around June. After which its fuel efficiency start dropping till today. I get roughly around 300km with 60litres gas now. I use AC all the time anyway, I read the car' s review online. I discovered the full tank should give up to 500km (combining city and highway trips). I drive on Lekki expressway to and fro mostly. So far, I have not done any work on the engine apart changing the oil after 4000km.

Going through a thread on NL now, I saw posts of cars covering between 500 - 600km with the same quantity of fuel- even SUVs and cars that are by far older than my golf (1990 Toyota carina)

PLS, WHAT CAN I DO

Scan it.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 11:05am On Oct 29, 2014
IdaraCHODB raised a good point, I think the fuel efficiency dropped when i switch from Mobil to Total oil.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by IdaraCHODB(m): 1:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
ladycool430:

the car mileage when I bought it was 183000km, I serviced it that very day using Mobil.
at 186000km, I used Mobil.
at 190000km (the last service), I used total

my mileage at present is 192000km+

Mobil has got lots of grades/types oils and so has Total. Which Mobil in particular? Which Total in particular?
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by DECOtech(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2014
1. When you did the servicing, did you change the air filter and oil filter?
2. Have you checked if your MAF or MAP sensor is working?
3. How about the condition of your thermostat? Is it still in place? Has it been removed? Is it faulty?
4. What oil type (not brand) did you use before and now?
_
Having all this questions in mind, a mechanic would quickly jump into "trial/error" mode which won't be in ur best interest.
_
The 97 golf is OBD2 compliant. Get your car scanned first of all cos the problem could even be electrical.
_
Pls don't use oil treatment in your engine. The white man spent millions of dollars in research to give you the quality you have in the best of engine oils. You can't beat them to it with just N500 oil treatment.
_
You can use oil treatment when you want to run palm oil or groundnut oil in your engine.
_
God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by lekezino(m): 9:17pm On Oct 29, 2014
ladycool430:

it uses injector
ok
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Pinoralia: 11:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
-
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Pinoralia: 11:52pm On Oct 29, 2014
-
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:22am On Oct 30, 2014
Your problems ARE NOT centered around the type of engine oil you use.
GAZZUZZ:

Scan it.
Scan your vehicle for possible errors.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 8:12am On Oct 30, 2014
DECOtech:
1. When you did the servicing, did you change the air filter and oil filter?
3. How about the condition of your thermostat? Is it still in place? Has it been removed? Is it faulty?
4. What oil type (not brand) did you use before and now?
_
Having all this questions in mind, a mechanic would quickly jump into "trial/error" mode which won't be in ur best interest.
_
The 97 golf is OBD2 compliant. Get your car scanned first of all cos the problem could even be electrical.
_
Pls don't use oil treatment in your engine. The white man spent millions of dollars in research to give you the quality you have in the best of engine oils. You can't beat them to it with just N500 oil treatment.
_
You can use oil treatment when you want to run palm oil or groundnut oil in your engine.
_
God bless you.

1. I changed oil filter but air cleaner, NO
2. don't know if MAF n MAP sensors work, pls how do
I confirm that?
3. I bought the car Tokunbo in March, I don't know if
the thermostat has been removed or not.
4. for the first and second time, I used Mobil super
1000, third time Total quartz 5000. both are 20w50
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 8:13am On Oct 30, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

Mobil has got lots of grades/types oils and so has Total. Which Mobil in particular? Which Total in particular?

for the first and second time, I used Mobil super
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 30, 2014
ladycool430:
for the first and second time, I used Mobil super

It's obvious you have NOT read your Owner's Manual. 20W-50 oil weight is too thick! Even a 1985 Volkswagen Golf II wouldn't be happy with that oil weight.

Another point...you don't state what engine your car has. This is VERY important. What country was the car imported from?
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Pinoralia: 12:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
---
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Pinoralia: 1:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
---
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 1:54pm On Oct 30, 2014
Siena:

It's obvious you have NOT read your Owner's Manual. 20W-50 oil weight is too thick! Even a 1985 Volkswagen Golf II wouldn't be happy with that oil weight.

Another point...you don't state what engine your car has. This is VERY important. What country was the car imported from?

2.0 litre, 4 cylinder engine, injector. it was imported from Germany. this is a shot from the manual

Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
Pinoralia:
---
Pinoralia:
---
Pinoralia:
-
Pinoralia:
-

things are happening ladycool430 by day and pinoralia by night grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 1:58pm On Oct 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

things are happening ladycool430 by day and pinoralia by night grin grin grin grin grin grin

I mistakingly commented with my friend fone. So I had to change it after realizing that
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by ladycool430: 2:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
I have changed the air filter today, and I filled my gas tank so that I can compare the fuel efficiency.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2014
ladycool430:

I mistakingly commented with my friend fone. So I had to change it after realizing that

Whatever makes you happy. grin
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:40pm On Oct 30, 2014
ladycool430:

PLS, WHAT CAN I DO

According to the above, the only work ever done on the vehicle is changing the oil hence my recommendation previously. However, if indeed you are using 20w-50 weight, please listen to the voice of wisdom on this thread and do the needful.

However, over time car components degrade, hence some of them are called service items. These include oxygen sensors, air filters, oil filter ( you already know that) to mention but a few, check your car manual for the service schedule and pay particular attention to items that need to be either inspected or replaced. When you do this check, don't start counting from the odometer at the moment of purchase, start counting the odometer from zero since you may not have any idea if the previous user kept to the maintenance schedule.

You mention that you have replaced the air filter, it is a good practice to always clean the MAF sensor when you change the air filter. If that has not been done, it should be done.

It also makes sense to do a scan as you have been advised. Could it be that your oxygen sensors are getting lazy? A scan should be able to detect that?

Has the sound of the vehicle changed? indicating a leak or leaks in the exhaust pipe?

I hope the above helps.

Then again you mentioned 500 kilometers on mixed driving. Did you ever achieve that? Or is that the statistic for the type of vehicle online? The question is relevant because we have quality of fuel issues which it seems will soon be resolved when Dangote's refineries introduce premium fuel to the Nigeria in a couple of years.

Could your plugs have outlived their useful life? What of the ignition wires? Who knows, maybe all you need is a tuneup.

All the best in your search for a solution.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by DECOtech(m): 4:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
ladycool430:

1. I changed oil filter but air cleaner, NO
2. don't know if MAF n MAP sensors work, pls how do
I confirm that?
3. I bought the car Tokunbo in March, I don't know if
the thermostat has been removed or not.
4. for the first and second time, I used Mobil super

Pls, get ur car scanned first
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Exponental(m): 8:38am On Oct 31, 2014
DECOtech:

_
God bless you.
I googled ds n just found out a reason my car(mazda boot) isn't fuel economical again, yet i wonder why smugglers use it alot. thanks a million.
Re: Help!!! My Car Is Always Thirsty by Pinoralia: 7:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
After changing the air cleaner, the same volume of fuel (60+ litres, full-tank) gives me 360km against 300km which I have been recording before. Also, I have found out that there is little leakage at gasket between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust net near the engine. I will fix that when I have the time and run my test again. I will sure come here to post my results.
A big THANK you to everyone.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Shock Prices / Website To Check Vehicle Owner. / The Sultan Of Brunei Has 7,000 Cars!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.