Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport (1349 Views)

Infinix Mobility Set To Launch A Powerful Smartphone After HOT 2 / Please Help With Blackberry Wifi Hotspot Setup / Apart From Pinging: What Else Do You Do With BlackBerry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport by MobilityNigeria: 12:24pm On Oct 29, 2014
Mister Mo has had the BlackBerry Passport for over 18 hours and shares his experience with it so far:

I know that the norm is to say "24 hours with...", but it isn't 24 hours yet, and I do have to write this now. Bear with me. I had seen a pre-production Passport in action months earlier at The Twitter Premiere League. A staff of one of the GSM networks had one for network testing purposes. Despite my initial dislike of the shape of the Passport (from early photos), seeing it live, it did look good and piqued my interest the more. The gentleman however wouldn't let me touch it, so that was all I got: a glimpse.

Yesterday, I was one of the select few invited to an exclusive launch event by BlackBerry, and I have had a Passport with me since then. It really is difficult to put my impressions of the device into words. But I am supposed to be a wordsmith, so here I go.

<h2>The Hardware</h2>
The Passport is a head turner, for starters. You will not be able to hold such a device in your hands and not attract attention. That shape is unmistakable. Secondly, it is a beautiful device built with top notch materials. Every line, curve and edge screams premium.Despite the 4.5 x 4.5 inch display, it does not feel as heavy as one would expect. At 196g, it is lighter than the Lumia 1520 (209g), HTC One Max (217g), but heavier than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (176g) and Apple iPhone 6 Plus (172g). So, the Passport strikes a middle ground in terms of heft in phablet territory.

Size-wise, the Passport is no taller than its Z10 sibling, and so shorter than all the other phablets. However, it is wider. Wider than each and every one of them. That is what makes the 4.5 x 4.5 inch display possible. And that display is gorgeous. At 453 ppi pixel density, it is bested in that rating only by the Note 4's 515 ppi pixel density when compared with the set of phablets that I listed earlier.

It may be initial euphoria, but I haven't found the Passport unwieldy to carry. It really is the size of an international passport, and I have never had a problem with carrying that around. It fits well into both my shirt and trouser pockets as well. My initial fears about its size seem to have disappeared. Still, this is just less than a day with the device. I will revisit the issue in my proper review coming up much later. Perhaps after using it for a month or two, my impressions would have changed again? Who knows?

<h2>All Keyboards are not the same</h2>
Now, the Passport's keyboard is truly revolutionary, because touch sensitivity is built into it. By sliding your thumb over it like you would use a trackpad or trackball, you can move the cursor around and scroll webpages, Twitter timeline and more on the display. Expect a video demonstration from me.

Typing on the Passport is taking a wee bit of getting used to, perhaps because of that width, but maybe also because I haven't used a hardware QWERTY keyboard in ages. It isn't a steep curve, as I am already feeling more comfortable with it.

You can read his full first impressions of the Passport on MOBILITY.ng

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport by stolenstone: 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
you be beans! If i click that link eh.......
Re: Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport by Anomnity: 6:23pm On Oct 29, 2014
stolenstone:
you be beans! If i click that link eh.......
Are you a kid.Can't you appreciate a life honest review of a rare high end phone that is the desire of many.How many phones have you reviewed for folks here to enjoy even if its in your blog.FYI mobility.ng is one of the best you ever find in this country.So stop kidding around.

3 Likes

Re: Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport by dasphinx1(m): 11:01pm On Oct 29, 2014
Anomnity:

Are you a kid.Can't you appreciate a life honest review of a rare high end phone that is the desire of many.How many phones have you reviewed for folks here to enjoy even if its in your blog.FYI mobility.ng is one of the best you ever find in this country.So stop kidding around.

If only he knows who Mr Mobility is......
Re: Mister Mobility's First 18 Hours With Blackberry Passport by freezyprinzy(m): 1:43am On Oct 30, 2014
how much in naira and if possible kobo

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Use Cortana On Your Android And IOS Phones / Infinix Is Set To Release A New Smartphone Tagged #PLAYHOT / Mtn Accumulated Data Bundle Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.