Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

OLX Scam Alert - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Scam Alert (3193 Views)

4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? / How Does OLX Make Profits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OLX Scam Alert by arosteph: 11:53am On Oct 30, 2014
There are a lot of 419 boys on olx. Until this site has buyers protection like ebay, aliexpress, jumia etc they will continue to swindle innocent buyers.
I was a victim of their scam, when i saw a laptop that interest me from one mr peter. I call him we negotiated, because i was far from his location we both agreed on pay on delivery. But he ask that i should pay the cost of delivery which he said is #5000. Could you believe that after payment he still ask i increase it to #8500 which i refused. Later he now directed i speek with the MD, and when i did, he directed that since i am not the only person he is going to delivered to, and more so that they might be getting to my location late and carrying money at that hour is very risky and so, i should pay the whole money so that when they get to my location they will just deliver the laptop and start to go back. On a second thought, i decided to opt out without further payment. And when i ask them for refund of my #5000 they stop picking my calls.
I don't know how many they have defrauded on OLX. Please if you are reading this, don't just stop at reading, share the information so that we can together put them out of business. Thanks

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OLX Scam Alert by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 30, 2014
arosteph:
There are a lot of 419 boys on olx. Until this site has buyers protection like ebay, aliexpress, jumia etc they will continue to swindle innocent buyers.
I was a victim of their scam, when i saw a laptop that interest me from one mr peter. I call him we negotiated, because i was far from his location we both agreed on pay on delivery. But he ask that i should pay the cost of delivery which he said is #5000. Could you believe that after payment he still ask i increase it to #8500 which i refused. Later he now directed i speek with the MD, and when i did, he directed that since i am not the only person he is going to delivered to, and more so that they might be getting to my location late and carrying at that hour is very risky and so, i should pay the whole money so that when they get to my location they will just deliver the laptop and start to go back. On a second thought, i decided to opt out without further payment. And when ask them for refund of my #5000 they stop picking my calls.
I don't know how many they have defrauded OLX. Please if you are reading this, don't just stop at reading, share the information so that we can together put them out of business. Thanks
maga of the century, so pple still pay money to unknow persons?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OLX Scam Alert by arosteph: 12:35pm On Oct 30, 2014
The OLX advert on Television will make people feel is very genuine.
Share the information
Re: OLX Scam Alert by bedfordng(m): 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2014
olx told you guys to see face to face with sellers before paying.even the tv advert also advice you meet with buyers.more over, such kind of tactics is the definition of scam.the sellers will use that to hold buyers since they have already paid,so in most cases the buyers would have no option than to follow their tune.be wise, meet sellers before buying.

1 Like

Re: OLX Scam Alert by mirakecrea8(m): 6:20pm On Oct 30, 2014
arosteph:
I was a victim of their scam, when i saw a laptop that interest me from one mr peter. I call him we negotiated, because i was far from his location we both agreed on pay on delivery. But he ask that i should pay the cost of delivery which he said is #5000. Could you believe that after payment he still ask i increase it to #8500 which i refused. Later he now directed i speek with the MD, and when i did, he directed that since i am not the only person he is going to delivered to, and more so that they might be getting to my location late and carrying money at that hour is very risky and so, i should pay the whole money so that when they get to my location they will just deliver the laptop and start to go back. On a second thought, i decided to opt out without further payment. And when i ask them for refund of my #5000 they stop picking my calls.
I don't know how many they have defrauded on OLX. Please if you are reading this, don't just stop at reading, share the information so that we can together put them out of business. Thanks
mchtewwww..... who doesnt know their concept... we are used to this format. God save you. i sale things on olx but never pay anything without seeing it.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by arosteph: 10:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
Tell one another about scammers on OLX
Re: OLX Scam Alert by israel007: 11:54pm On Nov 01, 2014
So u r looking for sympathy. Y on earth would u pay money to an individual u don't knw?

They should hv collected all the monies from u.

So what do u want us to say or do? Are we magicians?

Mtcheww abeg move.

arosteph:
Re: OLX Scam Alert by naijarates(m): 12:50am On Nov 02, 2014
What Next? Follow link on signature to do the needful .

Re: OLX Scam Alert by dupeoraf(f): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2014
hmm
Re: OLX Scam Alert by dupeoraf(f): 10:18am On Nov 02, 2014
The intent of olx website has been compromised by the fraudsters that crash prices of items that they don't have for sale.

We also have the fraudsters who study the adverts and pick on those that are legitimate and defraud them of their goods.

Olx says pays upon delivery, you follow all olx guidelines and the buyer pays you fake bills.

For those of you that use instant messaging apps like bbm, whatsapp etc, let me run the mode of how these fraudsters work.

They'll chat you up for a few minutes and go offline for a few days, and come back to chat you up again and won't say anything for another few days.

During this period, they are getting information from you and getting you anxious. It is the information provided you provide that will be used to get to you.

In the course of your discussions, just listen to their request and answer accordingly.

Another way to know they are fraudsters is that their orders are usually for a very large quantity.

These fraudster just want to run you out of business.

CAVEAT: DONT BE IN A HURRY TO LOOSE YOUR MONEY.

In the event the order seems like it's for real, get the SSS to accompany you, place trackers in the goods supplied, and also have people on ground to trace the location where the goods will be taken to.

You may think of saving the cost of paying an armed officer, but it's better than loosing all your money.

They also ask you to deliver at an address that doesn't belong to them. They'll go and pose there like they live there.

Some fraudsters are even diabolic, they use charms to make you agree to what they have to say.

Shun such people off.

I have been defrauded on olx, yet I still transact business on olx.

It's unfortunate what we have turned our Nigeria to be. But we the few that stand for the truth are the ones that will fix it. Else it will continually be in a mess.

HAPPY SUNDAY PEEPS.

May the good Lord continually rebuke the Devourers for our sake and restore to us what the palmer worms and canker worms have stolen from us in Jesus name. Amen

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OLX Scam Alert by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
arosteph:

bros u fv,ck up...u fall my hand big time

After agreeing on pay on delivery you still went on to pay #5000?
Whats the essence of the pay on delivery?

Even those who meet face to face still get scam not to talk of pay on delivery..

Even OLX will tell you to meet the person before transacting any biz so its ur fault.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 02, 2014
dupeoraf:
This is a learning for all.

I am an entrepreneur that trades baby diapers, wipes, baby formulas etc.

The story line the fraudster gave me was that they got my pin from olx and wanted to buy.

That they are based in Gambia and a air hostess helps to move the goods by airfreight to Gambia.

Order was for 110 cartons of huggies diapers, 24 cartons of huggies wipes, 5 cartons of sma.

The mobile number of the girl named Bola is 09098097297.

The BlackBerry pin is 32305A4C.

Goods were delivered opposite chicken republic at Ilupeju, in front of a closed shop that belongs to Alhaja. The address given was actually 10, Ogunji road, Ilupeju but because the street was busy, she advised that I offload to the shop off the road.

She paid me with fake 100 dollar notes and sent me a bbm the next morning to thank me for the goods and how the dollars were fake and adviced that I should not go to the bank or bureau de change cos i'll be arrested for tendering fake dollars.

Their mobile number is still working as they probably have other people that they are working on to dupe.

The network provider-Etisalat doesn't have their address registered against the number.

The learning is: don't be in a haste to trade.
Ask for bank transfers if you'll be dealing with foreign currencies, and large amount.

The value of the goods is 515,700 naira.

The person's name on bbm is Nikky's place.

I'll appreciate if this person can be brought to book.

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Apart from being scam you should be arrested for making business transaction in dollars here in Nigeria...

I'll blame you for everything,even if the person is from America,he/she should convert the money to naira before doing an biz cos it is against the law.

1 Like

Re: OLX Scam Alert by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
bedfordng:
olx told you guys to see face to face with sellers before paying.even the tv advert also advice you meet with buyers.more over, such kind of tactics is the definition of scam.the sellers will use that to hold buyers since they have already paid ,so in most cases the buyers would have no option than to follow their tune.be wise, meet sellers before buying.

I call it greediness,if the buyer is discipline,he will return the money and if the seller doesn't want it then he should forget about it..
Re: OLX Scam Alert by inno10: 8:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
This Topic has just been my fears for the past 3 days now. I have been on OLX car sections, I have been disturbed with they price range of big vehicles coming up with prices like 150k, 250k, 380k, 450k, 500k etc for cars dat worth 1.8m - 3m. I dont seem to understand till nw. Maybe someone that has bought a car on OLX before could explain to me.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by inno10: 8:03pm On Nov 02, 2014
This Topic has just been my fears for the past 3 days now. I have been on OLX car sections, I have been disturbed with the price range of big vehicles coming up with prices like 150k, 250k, 380k, 450k, 500k etc for cars dat worth 1.8m - 3m. I dont seem to understand till nw. Maybe someone that has bought a car on OLX before could explain to me.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by warrenweste(m): 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
inno10:
This Topic has just been my fears for the past 3 days now. I have been on OLX car sections, I have been disturbed with the price range of big vehicles coming up with prices like 150k, 250k, 380k, 450k, 500k etc for cars dat worth 1.8m - 3m. I dont seem to understand till nw. Maybe someone that has bought a car on OLX before could explain to me.

you better dont try it many people have been scammed and will still be scammed these bhastard punks use charms to lure greedy peeps into buying it...ITS A BIG SCAM...dont pay a dime or transact with those bastards...keep off them and report them
Re: OLX Scam Alert by Nobody: 3:16am On Nov 03, 2014
udemzy101:

Apart from being scam you should be arrested for making business transaction in dollars here in Nigeria...

I'll blame you for everything,even if the person is from America,he/she should convert the money to naira before doing an biz cos it is against the law.
I thought I was the only one that observed that, the country's legal tender is Naira, so I wonder why dollars was accepted.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by dupeoraf(f): 3:37am On Nov 03, 2014
For those of you that have a problem with transactions in foreign currencies, it is because you don't get involved with imports else it won't be a biggy.

Just learn from it and take extra pre cautions from other people's experiences.

You may just be the next victim.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by arosteph: 3:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
israel007:
So u r looking for sympathy. Y on earth would u pay money to an individual u don't knw?

They should hv collected all the monies from u.

So what do u want us to say or do? Are we magicians?

Mtcheww abeg move.

I just want you to share the info. So that alot will be aware of there latest methods. I only just put them to a test and then they failed. I have done alot of transactions in same way, and was successful but not on OLX.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by Adinije(f): 4:06pm On Nov 05, 2014
arosteph:
The OLX advert on Television will make people feel is very genuine.
Share the information
Olx TV ad, website will always tell u 'meet buyer/seller face to face in a public place' 'don't meet at night' so leave Olx out.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by wunderkiind(m): 6:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
dupeoraf:
This is a learning for all.

I am an entrepreneur that trades baby diapers, wipes, baby formulas etc.

The story line the fraudster gave me was that they got my pin from olx and wanted to buy.

That they are based in Gambia and a air hostess helps to move the goods by airfreight to Gambia.

Order was for 110 cartons of huggies diapers, 24 cartons of huggies wipes, 5 cartons of sma.

The mobile number of the girl named Bola is 09098097297.

The BlackBerry pin is 32305A4C.

Goods were delivered opposite chicken republic at Ilupeju, in front of a closed shop that belongs to Alhaja. The address given was actually 10, Ogunji road, Ilupeju but because the street was busy, she advised that I offload to the shop off the road.

She paid me with fake 100 dollar notes and sent me a bbm the next morning to thank me for the goods and how the dollars were fake and adviced that I should not go to the bank or bureau de change cos i'll be arrested for tendering fake dollars.

Their mobile number is still working as they probably have other people that they are working on to dupe.

The network provider-Etisalat doesn't have their address registered against the number.

The learning is: don't be in a haste to trade.
Ask for bank transfers if you'll be dealing with foreign currencies, and large amount.

The value of the goods is 515,700 naira.

The person's name on bbm is Nikky's place.

I'll appreciate if this person can be brought to book.

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.
Really sorry about your loss, I know how it is losing such an amount...
But is the address the only information the network provider was able to provide? That shouldn't be. I feel you should also try to involve the efcc, police, cid in conjuction with the network provider to assist in fishing out the scammers from their exact location.
Re: OLX Scam Alert by bukky222: 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2015
Please be mindful of these scammers o,one Abraham want to scam me with 12k,i sharp pass am so he was not successful. Please don't pay into people's acct until they deliver or better tell them that driver shd collect money

(1) (Reply)

Daviva Distributor / Starting A Supermarket. / CBN, NEXIM Vote N500b For Local Manufacturers, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.