Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? (10960 Views)

Ayodele Dada: "How I Graduated With All-Round A's & 5.0 CGPA" / Meet The Unique Identical Twins Who Both Graduated With First Class.. Photos / She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by eunisam: 9:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
Got this question from one of our Facebook fans. “Beautiful morning CV Wizards. Please with 2.39 which is pass in a polytechnic system, would it be possible for me to get a job without connection? What are my chances of being employed?” To be candid, It’s going to be very tough for you out there considering the fact that you’ll be competing with a lot of Distinction and Upper Credit graduates. Not to mention University graduates. I advice you apply to the University through direct entry to cover your deficiency. But you must sit up. University education is more tasking than Polytechnic education. I’m saying from personal experience because I’ve experienced both levels of education. If You think that would be difficult, you may consider the other option which is to hit the job market. If you opt for this, then You must; 1. Work on your psyche or mindset to get rid of any form of inferiority complex associated with your grade. 2. Work on your communication skills (verbal and written). You can achieve that by reading books, watching English movies, taking note of strange words, checking them up in the dictionary for the correct spelling, pronunciation and usage. Avoid vernacular and pidgin English. 3. Acquire a Masters Degree through PGD and/ or professional certification. 4. Know the practical side of your profession. A lower grade/class of degree or diploma means you didn’t perform well theoretically. Since every profession has got a practical and theoretical aspect, there is good news for You. Only if You’ll swallow your pride, now is the best time for You to gain practical knowledge which will give You an edge over other candidates with excellent results. For instance, if you read Electrical Engineering, go and learn from the man at the road side. 5. Network: Make friends with people who know people in position to help. E.g. You may not have access to the CEO of a company. But You may know someone who knows him. You can approach that person and ask him/her to connect you to the CEO. When You eventually gain access to the decision makers, tell them what you can offer, and I believe they’ll give you a listening ear. Good luck.

Credit to http://blog.cvwizards.com.ng/?p=29

2 Likes

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 30, 2014
The writer should ask himself if he would offer a job to a pass graduate when there are probably first and second class applying for the same job.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by nke001: 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
blink182:
The writer should ask himself if he would offer a job to a pass graduate when there are probably first and second class applying for the same job.

If only he or she could take a walk to organisations. He will definitely get that job with the right skills, it is not all about certifications.

If larry E. had most of our mind sets, he would not have allowed Marc Z. anywhere near his organisation, Oracle but guess what, the same school dropped out has 90% of the world's personnel profiles at his finger tips. ''The Big Data'' bank called facebook.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2014
nke001:

If only he or she could take a walk to organisations. He will definitely get that job with the right skills, it is not all about certifications.

If larry E. had most of our mind sets, he would not have allowed Marc Z. anywhere near his organisation, Oracle but guess what, the same school dropped out has 90% of the world's personnel profiles at his finger tips. ''The Big Data'' bank called facebook.
As much as I support what you have said, we have to live in reality and not some fantasy we hope the Nigerian job market place could become.

The industry Larry and Mark operate in is virtually non existent in Nigeria. Most big online firms barely have more than 10 staffs, I know some with as much as 100 but even then, they want a minimum second class upper employee when in reality your degree has totally nothing to do with your job description with them.

As I said earlier, I agree with your point but we have to live in the Nigerian reality. The one you will wake up to tomorrow not the one we hope to wake up to in 2030.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by tosyne2much(m): 12:13am On Oct 31, 2014
Some fallacies sighted

Firstly, Who told you you can apply for DE with a pass ?

Secondly, who told you a university is more tasking than a polytechnic.. How ? It's like you don't knw that Polytechnics will bombard you with irrelevant courses

Thirdly, if a student hits 2.5 out of 4.0 scale and still falls in lower credit and a university student on the other hand hits 3.5 and fall in Upper credit, then which one is more tasking ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by JayKaba(m): 12:44am On Oct 31, 2014
Truth...you are not likely to get a job (in your field) in Nigeria. If you still want to go to school, consider re-applying for another HND program with your OND result. Or, look for a profitable business to engage in.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Daluuzor(m): 2:13am On Oct 31, 2014
cry lipsrsealed(Congrats!!! cry
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Uchwilliam(m): 5:54am On Oct 31, 2014
Without connection nd corruption its absolutely IMPOSSIBLE!
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 6:30am On Oct 31, 2014
Yes,in his family establishment.

In a competitive environment,HELL NO.

Not ruling out favoritism though.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2014
Yeah, you can start a small scale Business on your own.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by rattlesnake(m): 7:28am On Oct 31, 2014
Too long to read
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 31, 2014
tosyne2much:
Some fallacies sighted

Firstly, Who told you you can apply for DE with a pass ?

Secondly, who told you a university is more tasking than a polytechnic.. How ? It's like you don't knw that Polytechnics will bombard you with irrelevant courses

Thirdly, if a student hits 2.5 out of 4.0 scale and still falls in lower credit and a university student on the other hand hits 3.5 and fall in Upper credit, then which one is more tasking ?
Fallacy:
1. 'Upper credit' in a University? Nah.
2. Polys have more irrelevant courses than a University? Nah
3. Grading of CGPA is based on cumulative equality, not on 'ratio-ed' assumptions (fractional postulations). It is more like (x+y+z)/j, than x/j, in summary, GPAs are not just fractions.
My point, GPA grading in UNIS and MOST Polys differ. QED.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 31, 2014
its highly POSSIBLE......
U can work as a CHURCH CLERK....
U can work in INNOSON....
U can operate DANGOTE TRAILER ....
U can even work in GOVT..HOUSE....(most people who do maintainance work and cathering services there are not even graduates..)
...YES U CAN......
JUST BE DILIGENT AND HARDWORKING.
ABOVE ALL....;
TRY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO MOVE WITH WISE PEOPLE...

4 Likes

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by tosyne2much(m): 10:40am On Oct 31, 2014
Johnzzy:

Fallacy:
1. 'Upper credit' in a University? Nah.
2. Polys have more irrelevant courses than a University? Nah
3. Grading of CGPA is based on cumulative equality, not on 'ratio-ed' assumptions (fractional postulations). It is more like (x+y+z)/j, than x/j, in summary, GPAs are not just fractions.
My point, GPA grading in UNIS and MOST Polys differ. QED.
Are you trying to say Second Class Upper is not synonymous to Upper Credit ? Ooooh maybe you expected me to use the normal " Second Class Upper" based on what we are all familiar with

Back to the topic
**clears throat
My broda, let me not deceive you.. Forget about the discrimination against polytechnic education and let's be frank here

Go and make your research and you would realize that Polytechnic is more tasking.. Do you know you have just 4 semester for each half in the polytechnic system? Do you knw that 4 semesters is not enough to cover your fuckup, however, when you fuckup in the first semester, you might probably not regain your stand anymore

Let's also look at it from a different angle, the minimum GP that still keeps you in the polytechnic is 2.0 out of 4.0 scale.. When your CGPA drops to 1.99, you are out of the school. Isn't that tasking enough ?

The minimum GP that keeps you in a university is 1.0 out of 5.0 scale ,though it varies..

So ask yourself, who one is more tasking ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by 100Cents: 11:15am On Oct 31, 2014
Bro, you can be anything you want to be in life not minding a degree or qualification, whether you have an education or not.

One of the directors in a bank I served in was a 3rd class degree holder. Before one becomes a bank director, you should know how many promotions one must have had on his job .

There abounds many biographies of success stories. If a man has an excuse to fail, he must definitely fail. If a man has a reason to succeed, he must definitely succeed..
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by ignis: 11:26am On Oct 31, 2014
blink182:

Nice question.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Malcolmx12: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
I'll advice tonsyne2much and co to stick with the op request..... not some argument.... he needs advice.....

op in life u can make it with even a primary school certificate..... its what u hav inside dat matters most.... think about wat u can do for a start.....
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by alexis007(m): 1:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
Op,the right question should be.....'IS THERE ANYTHING GOD CANNOT DO'?
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by samhay: 2:06pm On Oct 31, 2014
GT N7200 China fone built in form samsung note3
8.0mp camera.

Command-Abule egba,Lagos.

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by tosyne2much(m): 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2014
Malcolmx12:
I'll advice tonsyne2much and co to stick with the op request..... not some argument.... he needs advice.....

op in life u can make it with even a primary school certificate..... its what u hav inside dat matters most.... think about wat u can do for a start.....
I'm sowi boss, I neva meant to derail the thread, just trying to make a little clarification
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by Elevation(m): 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2014
tosyne2much:
Are you trying to say Second Class Upper is not synonymous to Upper Credit ? Ooooh maybe you expected me to use the normal " Second Class Upper" based on what we are all familiar with

Back to the topic
**clears throat
My broda, let me not deceive you.. Forget about the discrimination against polytechnic education and let's be frank here

Go and make your research and you would realize that Polytechnic is more tasking.. Do you know you have just 4 semester for each half in the polytechnic system? Do you knw that 4 semesters is not enough to cover your fuckup, however, when you fuckup in the first semester, you might probably not regain your stand anymore

Let's also look at it from a different angle, the minimum GP that still keeps you in the polytechnic is 2.0 out of 4.0 scale.. When your CGPA drops to 1.99, you are out of the school. Isn't that tasking enough ?

The minimum GP that keeps you in a university is 1.0 out of 5.0 scale ,though it varies..

So ask yourself, who one is more tasking ?
Officer CGPA no be moi moi ok come to think of it u can have a pass in ND n grad with distinction HND buh in a varsity ur graduating result starts from the first exams you write go and consult d cgpa curve,u need God to blow up ur cgpa cos the curve was designed that you easily drop in points and HARDLY increase,whoever invented cgpa must be something else.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by JustCurious: 3:33pm On Oct 31, 2014
nke001:

Sadly, this is easier said than practised by organisations. We are still in a certificate-driven nation. Same reason why companies would prefer B.Sc certificate to HND.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by eunisam: 5:38am On Nov 01, 2014
The excellency of a man should no be measure by certificate.Honestly am graduating today November first 2014.congratulations to me.Eunisam did it.but not a first class oo lol.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by nke001: 9:55pm On Nov 01, 2014
JustCurious:

Sadly, this is easier said than practised by organisations. We are still in a certificate-driven nation. Same reason why companies would prefer B.Sc certificate to HND.

blink182:
As much as I support what you have said, we have to live in reality and not some fantasy we hope the Nigerian job market place could become.

The industry Larry and Mark operate in is virtually non existent in Nigeria. Most big online firms barely have more than 10 staffs, I know some with as much as 100 but even then, they want a minimum second class upper employee when in reality your degree has totally nothing to do with your job description with them.

As I said earlier, I agree with your point but we have to live in the Nigerian reality. The one you will wake up to tomorrow not the one we hope to wake up to in 2030.

It is sad that we Nigerians still live with such a early 1900s believe.
But we the NOW generation change start the change.

##FACT##
Imagine a graduate in electrical engineering who opted to use AV cable to draw power from a 220v power source. This is what every road side electricians know can cause fire hazard or definitely fail under a minute load.

If one would ask, who are the MAJOR economy drivers? The president, ministers, legislators? Not at all. That welder, mechanics, goods traders, machine operators, motorists, etc are the major economy drivers. If these people dont pay taxes; the economy suffers, fiscal financial budget for the next fiscal year is also affected and also the people.

We will get there, Insallah!

Least I forget, HAPPY NEW PROSPEROUS NOVEMBER 2014.
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by nke001: 10:16pm On Nov 01, 2014
eunisam:
The excellency of a man should no be measure by certificate.Honestly am graduating today November first 2014.congratulations to me.Eunisam did it.but not a first class oo lol.

congratulations!!!
Re: I Graduated With A Pass. Is It Possible For Me To Get A Job Without Connection? by eunisam: 5:27am On Nov 02, 2014
nke001:

congratulations!!!
thanks.

(1) (Reply)

PTDF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM 2010 / Unilag Postpones Post-utme Aptitude Test / NECO Exams Resume On Monday, 9th November 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.