Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,782 members, 7,824,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler (35273 Views)

The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / She’s 21, An Entrepreneur And Trains Others To Start Businesses / Nigerian Entrepreneur And Indonesian Conglomerate Sign $ 1 Billion Mou With Gove (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by erad(m): 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
Note: Everything below is my personal opinion and I don't see myself as an authority on this write-up. Other opinions will be duely appreciated.

I don’t know how general this is or how every other person sees it but I feel it needs to be addressed. I see people referring to entrepreneurs as hustlers and the other way round. I’m an entrepreneur and will surely feel disrespected being called a hustler.

According to Oxford online dictionary, an entrepreneur is defined as a person who sets up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of making profit. A hustler on the other hand is defined as a person adept at aggressive selling or illicit dealings.
For years now, the two words (entrepreneur and hustler) have been used interchangeably, most times wrongly. Their definitions clearly does justice to the differences between both words but this article aims at expatiating on their differences.

[size=14pt]1. Mission statement:[/size] This is a statement of the purpose of a company, organization or person, its reason for its existence. For an entrepreneur, the purpose of his actions and activities is to give solutions to economics problems. Legitimately providing goods and services efficiently with the aim of making and maximizing profit. A hustler on the other hand is not consciously trying to provide solutions to economic problems. He’s just after making money, not necessarily through the provision of goods and services and not always legitimately.

[size=14pt]2. Source of Motivation:[/size] What is the major driving force behind and entrepreneur and a hustler? What’s their major source of motivation? The major source of motivation for most entrepreneurs is passion and for some others, freedom. The need to be self sufficient and control the odds. The major driving force for a hustler is money and for others, more money. How they get it isn’t so important.

[size=14pt]3. Legitimacy:[/size] One major feature of entrepreneurs is their legitimacy. Their activities are always within the confines of the law. An entrepreneur understands the implications of whatever illegal actions he might be considering and the negative impact such actions will have on his business, its goodwill and his reputation. A hustler on the other hand has little or no regards for the law. This was clearly stated in its definition- illicit dealings. He’ll do whatever it takes to get money, legally or illegally. This doesn’t mean all hustlers are not law abiding but none of them will turn down an illegal offer to make some quick cash, that’s the essence of hustling.

[size=14pt]4. Ultimate Goal:[/size] The ultimate goal of an entrepreneur is fulfillment and success, which are most times accompanied by wealth. The ultimate goal of a hustler on the other hand is to live the good life, live big and amass wealth even if it’s at the expense of others.
Yes there are entrepreneurs who are extravagant spenders, but it’s most times a means to an end, an indirect form of investment.

In conclusion, not all entrepreneurs are a 100% decent and not all hustlers are criminals. It’s just a thing of concern when internet fraudsters are referred to as entrepreneurs and a honest highway gala seller is called a hustler.

I’m a graphic designer and I’m an entrepreneur, what are you?

[size=14pt]Check the portfolio(s) of Nairaland logo designers here; https://www.nairaland.com/1823110/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers[/size]

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by kilokeys(m): 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2014
true..

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nice one. It depends on the country you are from. The word hustler in Naija (forget your dictionary and stick with Olamide) means, "Someone who strives to become successful"

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by joedejana(m): 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
I'm a Billionaire in a Chinese Company undecided
I'll be awarded youngest billionaire by Forbes 5th of January 2015 undecided

7 Likes

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by stonemind(f): 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
d
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Adyrin(m): 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
Booked
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by richardjemedafe1(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Tt
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Well it depends on the dictionary you're using, some online urban dictionaries will tell you that:

hustler  [hus′lər] a hustler is a person who is aggressively hard-working who knows how to get around problems, or a person who makes money by doing something dishonest.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by kurajordan(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by dlex21(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Hustlers work for money but entrepreneurs... money work for them

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by danaiks(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Entrepreneurs tho undecided

1 Like

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by donigspain(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
So true

1 Like

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Adyrin(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by VocalWalls: 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
Every hustler has the potential to become an entrepreneur.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Dahmum(f): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
undecided Lº°˚°ºL.seee defination!!! To me dey r not dat difrnt words, thier diffence comes clearer in d'context u r using them for.its just like saying (a child and Pikin). If u understnd d'"rubbish" am tring to explain.

8 Likes

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by olayincar(m): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
Fact
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by zzybaby: 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
Just with time I will be dere......... 3rd to comment though

1 Like

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
I m c uming!
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by igbsam(m): 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2014
Interesting Piece.
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Sunnycliff(m): 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2014
An entrepreneur combines wit with skills and ability to use others to get what he wants while a husler only deals with his skills!

4 Likes

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
Dnt knw oh!!

Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
ah hustle fr wee.d. Period cheesy
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by godson0032000(m): 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
Ok!!!
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by iceberylin(m): 9:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
Ok
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by 4reigningqueen: 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2014
oh Lord! its been long that i was FTC. i feel like tearing my clothes to reveal xxxxxxx cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by ayukdaboss(m): 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nice Write-up
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by Slingkey(m): 9:35pm On Nov 02, 2014
Front page tins.......moduppe lowo oluwa
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by SmellOfSecondMonkey(f): 9:36pm On Nov 02, 2014
N
Re: Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler by nigerianvenom(m): 9:36pm On Nov 02, 2014
VocalWalls:
Every hustler has the potential to become an entrepreneur.

fact!
depending on op's definition of a hustler.
in our context,a hustler is one who strives hard to make ends meet but with sole purpose of achieving a future set goals.
with the above been stated,its made to be understood that today's entrepreneur was yesterday's hustler.

Dangote hustle through d sales of sweet n biscuit in secondary school, then loan some cash from his uncle to start a cement business,but today he is a great entrepreneur (that's d spirit of a hustler).

most billionaires today,e.g innoson,mike adenuga,gabriel chukwuma,owner of peace mass transist among others were once hustlers but they are today's entrepreneur.

an entrepreneur must struggle at the beginning and that "beginning" is what we tag "hustle"

peace out

57 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Makes N150,000 Daily From Selling 'Fura Da Nono' In Kaduna / E-Naira App Vanishes On Google Playstore Amid Poor Reviews / Chinese Chamber Of Commerce In Nigeria Breaks Silence On Abuja Supermarket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.