Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies (1670 Views)

Snake Delicacies Refresh Our Skin– Nigeria’s Snake Eaters / Nigerian Delicacies That Will Make You Bite Your Fingers- Photos / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by Confession14(f): 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2014
Hi House, I have always fancied Igbos since childhood eventhough am not a Nigerian.It is thus no error that I now reside and work here in Nigeria. Probability is, I may someday decide to marry from here. Point is if u enjoy cooking the following soups, kindly teach me how so that I may not only take care of his bed and house but also his stomach:
Well lets go slow but steady...
WEEK ONE: OHA SOUP
1. What ingredients do I need to buy for a 3person dish?
2. Methods of preparation: step by step guide needed...
NB: I will put ur theory into practicals every Saturday and I promise to upload pictures. Thanks as u assist in making me a better woman!
Re: Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by achinaboy(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
am not a lady,but for oha soup,,its not a magic,,just cook ur meat and fish together to a nice texture,,when the water starts boiling ,,add red oil maybe 4tea spoonful to give it a nice colour,,add salt peper,,cook for like ten mins to change the taste of the red oil,,then add cocoyam,,,but before then cook the cocoyam seperatly,,and pound it like u are pounding fufu atleast 2 or 3 cocoyam,,after punding it,u add it to the pot of soup,add slowly to make the soup a little thick,,let it cook for atleast 5 to 10mins,,but taste the food as u go along to know when the fresh oil taste has changed,,then add oha leave, let it cook for less than 5 mins so the leaves don't become so soft,,then wala u have a pot of oha soup,,,taste it ,if i does not taste good, repeat the same thing next time hopefully,it will taste like the oha soup u know. veel plezier
Re: Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by Confession14(f): 11:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
achinaboy:
am not a lady,but for oha soup,,its not a magic,,just cook ur meat and fish together to a nice texture,,when the water starts boiling ,,add red oil maybe 4tea spoonful to give it a nice colour,,add salt peper,,cook for like ten mins to change the taste of the red oil,,then add cocoyam,,,but before then cook the cocoyam seperatly,,and pound it like u are pounding fufu atleast 2 or 3 cocoyam,,after punding it,u add it to the pot of soup,add slowly to make the soup a little thick,,let it cook for atleast 5 to 10mins,,but taste the food as u go along to know when the fresh oil taste has changed,,then add oha leave, let it cook for less than 5 mins so the leaves don't become so soft,,then wala u have a pot of oha soup,,,taste it ,if i does not taste good, repeat the same thing next time hopefully,it will taste like the oha soup u know. veel plezier
wowwwwww! All this coming from a male? Thanks a million achina....u rock !
Re: Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by upmanagers: 7:10pm On Nov 06, 2014
Ingredients for OHA soup:
Oha leave
Meat/fish
Stockfish (washed and deep into warm water to soften) you can stil use the water if soup is too thick
Palm oil
Thickner (you can use pounded cocoyam or grinded Achi or usu) I prefer achi
Pepper
Crayfish
Salt and seasoning

Preparation:
Cook meat with salt and seasoning
Add washed stockfish when meat is almost done
Put palm oil and let it cook for 3mins
Throw in your thickener, pepper, crayfish and 1 cube of seasoning, stir and let them boil for 3-5mins while checking to make sure the water content is ok
Now put your oha leave and wait for 2min
Final add salt to taste

Your oha is ready.
Re: Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by Confession14(f): 11:38pm On Nov 07, 2014
achinaboy:
thanks a lot achinaboy...it did the practice today and it was great... Hey I used the stuff called ofor instead.... Same great taste...u got my five star thumbs up
Re: Teach Me How To Cook Igbo Delicacies by achinaboy(m): 10:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
Confession14:
thanks a lot achinaboy...it did the practice today and it was great... Hey I used the stuff called ofor instead.... Same great taste...u got my five star thumbs up
cool

(1) (Reply)

Recipes For Desserts! / Brand New Nigerian Restaurant In London - Free Delivery!!! / Drinking Garri With Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.