Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment (1355 Views)

19 Year Old Super Falconettes Player Rejects $7,000 Pay Because She Feels Honour / Courtney Dike Celebrates Second Place U-20 Finish With Brother / Is Courtney Dike The Finest And The Sexiest Female Footballer Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by Dotng: 12:00am On Nov 04, 2014
Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment

Super Falconets player, Courtney Dike has said that the opportunity given to her to play for Nigeria was all the reward she needed rather than money.

The Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) revealed that the Falconets' star turned down the $7,000 offered to her as part of her bonus for representing the country at the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, held in Canada.

Courtney who is the younger sister of Super Eagles player, Bright Dike said she valued playing for Nigeria, more than the monetary reward.

Head of competition, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Dr. Sanusi Mohammed revealed that they were shocked at the stance of Dike's family not to take the bonus.

"Courtney Dike is based in America, when she was paid the outstanding 10 days worth of allowances in the tune of seven thousand dollars she turned it down,” Sanusi told Footballlive.ng

"When we called her Mother to confirm the delivery of the allowances, she declined it and insisted the opportunity to serve Nigeria was all the reward the family needed. Besides she said she was to young to earn that much,” the Federation member recounted.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by seankay(m): 12:07am On Nov 04, 2014
70 hundred bucks na change sha
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 04, 2014
"She was to young to earn such.." I hope thqat family is a rich one o. $7,000 for a 19 yr old college student isn't chicken change at all.

Or it could be that Courtney doesn't want to put her NCAA amateur status in jeopardy. If she receives payment for playing football for Nigeria, she could be, according to NCAA rules, barred from playing for her university team.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by AnodaIT(m): 12:51am On Nov 04, 2014
Make she no ever plan to come back village again, we have disowned her. She no know say that is our share of the National cake.
Or she think say as she no collect am, dem go use the money do better thing? Another person don corner the money since.

In Nigeria the best you can do is to collect the money and donate to a charity, in that way you are 80% sure that the money is not going into wrong hands

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by bigtt76(f): 1:02am On Nov 04, 2014
Sharp girl, Don take style book her permanent place for the team grin.... Well for as long as de man we go de chop de money still de there cos dat money ain't going to charity but someone else's pocket. She be learner shaaa undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by Nobody: 1:24am On Nov 04, 2014
bigtt76:
Sharp girl, Don take style book her permanent place for the team grin.... Well for as long as de man we go de chop de money still de there cos dat money ain't going to charity but someone else's pocket. She be learner shaaa undecided
Indeed
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by denedene(m): 1:58am On Nov 04, 2014
I wish her fada would say yes cuz I wanna marry his daughter.... don't b "rude"

1 Like

Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 7:01am On Nov 04, 2014
CFCfan:
Or it could be that Courtney doesn't want to put her NCAA amateur status in jeopardy. If she receives payment for playing football for Nigeria, she could be, according to NCAA rules, barred from playing for her university team.

Can you explain more about these NCAA rules? Thanks!
I'm trying hard to understand what could make her give up 7000 bucks.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by leo1234(m): 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Ok
Igbo girls no like money cheesy
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 04, 2014
NIGERIALOLoCOM:

Can you explain more about these NCAA rules? Thanks!
I'm trying hard to understand what could make her give up 7000 bucks.
The NCAA has broad rules concerning conduct of "student-athletes". Right from High school, potential college athletes are barred from receiving any type of gifts from coaches or other recruitment officers of a college. The same same rule, as I previously said, also applies to bonafide student athletes.

The NCAA basically regads the student athletes as "amateurs" who shouldn't be paid directly for their athletic skills. The scholarship money, which covers tuition, room and other living expenses, are the only financial rewards accruable to a student athlete who competes in NCAA tournaments.
Therefore, Dike could be in danger of losing a scholarship if she accepted NFF's money.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by kliq(m): 8:44am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:
"She was to young to earn such.." I hope thqat family is a rich one o. $7,000 for a 19 yr old college student isn't chicken change at all.

With or without the NCAA rules, Athletes are rewarded for participating in sporting activities either with cash or other benefits.She represented country hence she is being offered the bonus,besides the NFF is not under the NCAA
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 05, 2014
kliq:

With or without the NCAA rules, Athletes are rewarded for participating in sporting activities either with cash or other benefits.She represented country hence she is being offered the bonus,besides the NFF is not under the NCAA
Yes, the NFF is not under the NCAA, but playing for your country (albeit in an age-grade tourney) and being paid for it could be construed as being a professional.

It's really a grey area though
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by kliq(m): 8:54am On Nov 05, 2014
seankay:
70 hundred bucks na change sha

That's over a million naira i.e the same amount our Super Eagles would ordinarily threaten to boycott a world cup game for....and as small as the money is to her,she could still collect and hand to a friend or relatives or even waste on wears.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by kliq(m): 9:17am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

Yes, the NFF is not under the NCAA, but playing for your country (albeit in an age-grade tourney) and being paid for it could be construed as being a professional.

It's really a grey area though

I get your point,we saying the same thing...the NCAA rules work over there but down here the tradition is cash reward regardless the age eg the Golden Eaglets(U-17) they not even interested in scholarship except it's a foreign school

1 Like

Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by M4gunners: 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2014
All i can say be,may God punish poverty. The girl no dey hungry at all. God bless his Father and Mother.
Re: Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment by wordychap: 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2014
She de US na y,

(1) (Reply)

/ Biggest Payout In Sports Betting History Recorded ‏congratulation Close To You / I Need Sure 6-10 Odd I Can Play With #2000 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.