Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps (3980 Views)

Top Apps That Are Draining Your Battery, Occupying RAM And Eating Up Your Data / Doogee HOMTOM HT6 – A 6250mah Monster-battery Android Phone / How To Make Your Battery Android Phone Last Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by ubiquitousade(m): 9:10pm On Nov 06, 2014
Is your phone or tablet battery constantly reduced to a sliver of red on the screen? New research has found the worst performance-draining apps on Android devices, and Facebook is the biggest culprit.

It may seem to consume every spare moment of our lives, but the world's most famous social networking app is chewing up our mobiles too, with Facebook topping a global list of the most performance-draining Android apps, which considered battery drain, storage consumption and data use.

But it's not just Facebook draining our mobile power -- a raft of other social apps, games and even bloatware are consuming more processing power, battery life and data than many of us realise.

The findings come from new research conducted by AVG which took anonymous data from more than 1 million AVG Android app users in order to collate a list of the worst offenders in the Android app world (measured over Q3 2014, based on apps with more than 1 million Google Play downloads).

Culprits included pre-installed apps pushed out by device manufacturers, with 3 of the 10 biggest battery draining apps that run on start-up coming from Samsung. News apps also warrant a mention, particularly those that update in real-time, with the New York Times' Breaking News app topping the list of the most storage-hungry apps we use.

But with 62 percent of the time we spend on Android tablets or smartphones dedicated to playing games, gaming apps warranted their own top ten. In these stakes, King, the developer behind Candy Crush Saga and other titles in the Saga series, took out the dubious honour of holding 4 of the top 10 spots for performance-draining game apps.

So what should you do if your battery life is dropping faster than all those sugar balls in Candy Crush? AVG recommends turning off app notifications, limiting refresh intervals, deleting your cache of temporary files and limiting the amount of data an app is allowed to download while you're not watching.

Top 10 Performance-Draining Apps

Facebook
Path
9GAG Funny Pics & Videos
Instagram
Spotify Music
BBM (BlackBerry)
QQ (Tencent Technology)
textPlus Free Text & Calls
Wattpad Free Books & Stories
iFunny : )

Top 10 Battery Drainers -- Run at Start Up

AllShareCast Dongle S/W Update (Samsung)
ChatON Voice & Video Chat (Samsung)
Beaming Service for Beep'n'Go (Moheam)
magicApp: Free Calls (magiclack VocalTec)
Samsung WatchON Tablets
Facebook
Path
PPS for Mobile
Vault-Hide SMS Pics & Videos
Al-Moazin Lite Prayer Times

Top 10 Storage Eaters

NY Times -- Breaking News
Tango Messenger Video & Calls
Spotify Music
Facebook
Chrome Browser
9GAG Funny pics & videos
Instagram
LINE camera -- Selfie & Collage
Vine
Talking Angela

Top 10 Battery-Draining Game Apps

Puzzle & Dragons (GungHo Online Entertainment)
Hay Day (Supercell)
Candy Crush Saga (King)
Minecraft -- Pocket Edition (Mojang)
Cookie Jam (SGN)
Pet Rescue Saga (King)
Clash of Clans (Supercell)
Bubble Witch 2 Saga (King)
Farm Heroes Saga (King)
Angry Birds (Rovio Mobile)

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/whats-killing-your-battery-androids-top-10-performance-sapping-apps/
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by alancash01(m): 10:49pm On Nov 06, 2014
Nothing but the truth, facebook and tango na real power, storage and data sucker...
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by AnodaIT(m): 12:39am On Nov 07, 2014
Check this article http://www.ityunit.com/2015/04/tips-to-keep-your-phone-battery-healthy.html

I had tolerated Facebook for some time even though I knew it was draining my battery but when they decided to move messages to another app, I could not imagine having two Facebook battery draining apps on my phone. I deleted it.

Now I use a browser to access Facebook only when I want to.

I had previously greenify the Facebook app but it stubbornly always wants to restart.

As for vault, I suspected it when it showed up on my battery Stat so I am having it greenify, when the bank alert (or any other text) enters, I manually open and move it to the Vault.

Another app that I installed but that one was the worse drainer was x-privacy, my battery went off per minute.

2 Likes

Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by liljboy(m): 4:05am On Nov 07, 2014
alancash01:
Nothing but the truth, facebook and tango na real power, storage and data sucker...
wetin u go tell instagram and badoo?? I respect those two. they zap my 100MB like Mma nkechi kunu. I fear!!

2 Likes

Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by claycares: 5:48am On Nov 07, 2014
I'm surprised you didnt mention Google Play Services. So your list is just a scratch. Checkin service should be the number one and every o ther app with permission to keep phone awake. They make the phone not to sleep and so continue to suck the juice out of the battery

2 Likes

Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by liljboy(m): 5:58am On Nov 07, 2014
claycares:
I'm surprised you didnt mention Google Play Services. So your list is just a scratch. Checkin service should be the number one and every o ther app with permission to keep phone awake. They make the phone not to sleep and so continue to suck the juice out of the battery
that's if you don't turn off your "automatically notify me of updates"
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by kilokeys(m): 6:49am On Nov 07, 2014
4gb in a month?.. infact.. Android no go kill me..

i would employ u android folks to download the noRoot firewall app..

u can stop any program from accessing the internet.. save data and avoid adverts..

below me, the screenshot

i am feeling the app.
no adverts, no updates
i even blocked google play services.. ( chief battery and data sucker)

1 Share

Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by tempem: 8:12am On Nov 07, 2014
kilokeys:
4gb in a month?.. infact.. Android no go kill me..

i would employ u android folks to download the noRoot firewall app..

u can stop any program from accessing the internet.. save data and avoid adverts..

below me, the screenshot

i am feeling the app.
no adverts, no updates
i even blocked google play services.. ( chief battery and data sucker)
You got it, for me, I used droid wall.
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by kilokeys(m): 8:55am On Nov 07, 2014
tempem:

You got it, for me, I used droid wall.

if ur phone isnt rooted u can't use droidwall

but with noRoot firewall.. u don't need to root it to use it.
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by hausadreturn(m): 9:39am On Nov 07, 2014
pls i know this is out of topic...
when browsing online using on a laptop, i notice that the mb starts zapping even when nothing is loading. Within 10 minutes, 40-50mb can get exhausted. What usually causes this? How do i solve this problem?
Thanks
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by AnodaIT(m): 9:59am On Nov 07, 2014
hausadreturn:
pls i know this is out of topic...
when browsing online using on a laptop, i notice that the mb starts zapping even when nothing is loading. Within 10 minutes, 40-50mb can get exhausted. What usually causes this? How do i solve this problem?
Thanks
If You are using Windows 7 below, just go to Windows update and select "Do not notify or download automatically" or something like that. Then half of your problems is gone.
But if it is Windows 8 above, sorry, you may need a third party app to put the firewall
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by hausadreturn(m): 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
AnodaIT:

If You are using Windows 7 below, just go to Windows update and select "Do not notify or download automatically" or something like that. Then half of your problems is gone.
But if it is Windows 8 above, sorry, you may need a third party app to put the firewall
ok....for windows 8, how do i get d firewall? Thanks for that little piece of info.
Re: What's Killing Your Battery? Android's Top 10 Performance-sapping Apps by pikapizy(m): 10:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
the way my battery drains this days I dey fear to press my phone cos it drains 3 times faster than before ...charging it with gen is almost useless cos it drains so fast when charged with gen

(1) (Reply)

How I Got Mtn &.5 Gigabyte With No IMEI Tweaking,no Cheat Required / Mtn 2018 Latest Browsing Cheat (double Data) / What Is The Difference Between Infinix Hot 8 And Hot 8 Lite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.