Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,720 members, 7,813,372 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Writing - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Writing (6637 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing by ezeagu(m): 10:21am On Nov 07, 2014
A new system.

1 Like

Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 10:22am On Nov 07, 2014
New.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2014

1 Like

Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2014
More:

Re: Writing by FlintGuevara(m): 10:55am On Nov 07, 2014
I so love the nsibidi writing system, but it would take ages before one can master or even learn to read abd write it.
Re: Writing by FlintGuevara(m): 10:55am On Nov 07, 2014
I so love the nsibidi writing system, but it would take ages before one can master or even learn to read and write it.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:00am On Nov 07, 2014
FlintGuevara:
I so love the nsibidi writing system, but it would take ages before one can master or even learn to read and write it.

It seems so, but I haven't actually seen anyone attempt to learn it.
Re: Writing by FlintGuevara(m): 11:11am On Nov 07, 2014
ezeagu:

It seems so, but I haven't actually seen anyone attempt to learn it.
Well, I'm interested in learning it, but as you rightly posited, most people (my humble self included) are yet to make any attempt whatsoever at learning nsibidi.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:12am On Nov 07, 2014
This is their facebook page, questions are answered there. https://www.facebook.com/Nsibiri
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:13am On Nov 07, 2014
FlintGuevara:
Well, I'm interested in learning it, but as you rightly posited, most people (my humble self included) are yet to make any attempt whatsoever at learning nsibidi.

The list of nsibiri and their meaning have been posted on the blog for download.
Re: Writing by FlintGuevara(m): 11:21am On Nov 07, 2014
ezeagu:

The list of nsibiri and their meaning have been posted on the blog for download.
Heading to the blog ASAP. Thanks.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:29am On Nov 07, 2014
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:36am On Nov 07, 2014
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 1:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
Re: Writing by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
Wow! Really wonderful. The Society For Promoting Igbo Culture should pick up the gauntlet from this guy and source for more nsibidi signs. Kudos to this guy. He deserves a national award.
OP front page abeg. Nigerians must hear this.

1 Like

Re: Writing by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 07, 2014
ezeagu:
The people at [url=nsibiri..com]Nsibiri Blog[/url] have developed a writing system for Igbo which is claimed to be better suited for Igbo than the Latin script. The script has been developed/modified from nsibidi, the symbols that the people from the cross River area used for communication before Europeans, into an alphabet and logographic script like those used by the Ancient Egyptians and the Chinese/Japanese. It's to be used for most Cross River languages in addition to Igbo.

The list of all the characters and alphabet for Igbo as well as rules of using the script can be found on their website and in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f1an210zc1oznt/63616534-Ikpo-Nsibidi-Igbo.pdf?dl=0

Their website also a mission page on what the outcome of the project is meant to be.
http://nsibiri..co.uk/p/mission.html

Is it worth learning? Could be interesting to strengthen an Igbo/Cross River iconography.
Ezeagu, Eze Ndigbo na omenala. I congratulate you for bringing this good news to limelight. So the Nsibidi writing can be brought back to life. Wonderful.
Re: Writing by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 08, 2014
This should be compulsory teaching for kids from primary school up.

1 Like

Re: Writing by cheruv: 9:29am On Nov 08, 2014
this is quite interesting smiley smiley
I've always maintained that Latin isn't useful for tonal lingos..of which Igbo and Chinese are good examples.this even made me to try and learn Chinese..so that I can be able to develop hanchi just like the Koreans and Japanese have hanja and kanji respectively.
pls the developers should make it entirely ideographic.. so that words like akwa,egbe,oke whose meanings change based on tones can be easily distinguished.
long live nsibiri!!
viva regna magna del Igbo Terra!!
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 5:46pm On Nov 08, 2014
Chiwude:
Wow! Really wonderful. The Society For Promoting Igbo Culture should pick up the gauntlet from this guy and source for more nsibidi signs. Kudos to this guy. He deserves a national award.
OP front page abeg. Nigerians must hear this.

Definitely, that's one of the missions I believe, but I think if they've carried it this far they can do it on their own.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 5:46pm On Nov 08, 2014
Chiwude:
Ezeagu, Eze Ndigbo na omenala. I congratulate you for bringing this good news to limelight. So the Nsibidi writing can be brought back to life. Wonderful.

Not only can it be, it has been.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2014
ROSSIKE:
This should be compulsory teaching for kids from primary school up.

Good idea, that would definitely spread knowledge, just like the resurrection of Tifinagh among the Tamazight (Berber) speakers in Morocco.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 5:49pm On Nov 08, 2014
cheruv:
this is quite interesting smiley smiley
I've always maintained that Latin isn't useful for tonal lingos..of which Igbo and Chinese are good examples.this even made me to try and learn Chinese..so that I can be able to develop hanchi just like the Koreans and Japanese have hanja and kanji respectively.
pls the developers should make it entirely ideographic.. so that words like akwa,egbe,oke whose meanings change based on tones can be easily distinguished.
long live nsibiri!!
viva regna magna del Igbo Terra!!

I guess no need for a Chinese derived script now, Igbo and other Cross River languages has had it's own script since!
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 5:52pm On Nov 08, 2014
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 7:54pm On Nov 08, 2014
New writing.
Re: Writing by cheruv: 10:58pm On Nov 08, 2014
ezeagu:
[img]http://2.bp..com/-IutX8lq5sOM/UtxpPBxFD3I/AAAAAAAABL4/oUhKdqvUE_Q/s800/Aha+Igbo.png[/img]

Igbo names
though this is good am not quite impressed.. sad
the script should be purely ideographic not a mix of alphabets and ideograms.like
1]chidiebere ::::this should ve been represented by the ideograms for chi and ebere with addition of marks on/around the "chi" ideogram representing the verb "di"
2]Chiamaka:::: this likewise is represented by the ideograms for 'God' and 'beautiful' .those two ideograms when put together tells the reader that God is beautiful/Chiamaka

these two examples are enough to convey my intentions and expectations of this nsibiri script. this would enable our people to
1]save time and effort... the time I'd use to write a name like ikechukwu would be reduced to that I'd use for 2 ideograms denoting ike(power) and Chukwu(great God)
2]encourage calligraphy among our people
3]encourage creativity and artistic reasoning among our folk
4]encourage literacy kos people only need to look at the ideogram to understand what's on ground
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 2:06am On Nov 09, 2014
cheruv:

though this is good am not quite impressed.. sad
the script should be purely ideographic not a mix of alphabets and ideograms.like
1]chidiebere ::::this should ve been represented by the ideograms for chi and ebere with addition of marks on/around the "chi" ideogram representing the verb "di"
2]Chiamaka:::: this likewise is represented by the ideograms for 'God' and 'beautiful' .those two ideograms when put together tells the reader that God is beautiful/Chiamaka

these two examples are enough to convey my intentions and expectations of this nsibiri script. this would enable our people to
1]save time and effort... the time I'd use to write a name like ikechukwu would be reduced to that I'd use for 2 ideograms denoting ike(power) and Chukwu(great God)
2]encourage calligraphy among our people
3]encourage creativity and artistic reasoning among our folk
4]encourage literacy kos people only need to look at the ideogram to understand what's on ground

I get what you mean, but it would be very difficult to learn the amount of characters that would be needed to represent every word in Igbo, that's point 1. 2. The script is split to the verb root, so Chukwu is actually 'chi' and 'ukwu', it makes it easier to remember. 3. How will particles be represented? Like in 'diri' "carry on", the 'ri' is not a word on its own and would have to be represented, it would add even more headache to make every possible Igbo particle into a character, instead of just having an alphabet that helps with that. 4. What happens when an Igbo person inevitably forgets a character? 5. How will people learn the reading of a character without referring to English?

The author of the blog explains it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f1an210zc1oznt/63616534-Ikpo-Nsibidi-Igbo.pdf?dl=0

1 Like

Re: Writing by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 09, 2014
I heard that the language was under threat because Igbos choose to communicate in English, hopefully this will reignite interest in the Igbo language among Igbo speakers.
Re: Writing by ezeagu(m): 11:06am On Nov 09, 2014
A brand new one.
Re: Writing by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 09, 2014
Re: Writing by gatiano(m): 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2014
Are you for real? true? you see, i only wish for, and since GOD is most sufficient, He provides. tell me please that it is real? and it must be written from right to left and not like english devil's language.
i'm what someone would call from the southwest, but i'm simply a blackman, and i find this facinating and interesting. You try, thankyou.

ezeagu:
The people at [url=nsibiri..com]Nsibiri Blog[/url] have developed a writing system for Igbo which is claimed to be better suited for Igbo than the Latin script. The script has been developed/modified from nsibidi, the symbols that the people from the cross River area used for communication before Europeans, into an alphabet and logographic script like those used by the Ancient Egyptians and the Chinese/Japanese. It's to be used for most Cross River languages in addition to Igbo.

The list of all the characters and alphabet for Igbo as well as rules of using the script can be found on their website and in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f1an210zc1oznt/63616534-Ikpo-Nsibidi-Igbo.pdf?dl=0

Their website also a mission page on what the outcome of the project is meant to be.
http://nsibiri..co.uk/p/mission.html

Is it worth learning? Could be interesting to strengthen an Igbo/Cross River iconography.
Re: Writing by cheruv: 5:57pm On Nov 09, 2014
gatiano:
Are you for real? true? you see, i only wish for, and since GOD is most sufficient, He provides. tell me please that it is real? and it must be written from right to left and not like english devil's language.
i'm what someone would call from the southwest, but i'm simply a blackman, and i find this facinating and interesting. You try, thankyou.

languages were previously written right to left kos of the paint ,brush and scroll scenario.. though only Hebrew, Arabic and other Semitic lingos like Aramaic still retain it while the others due to latinization and also advent of biros have changed gears cool
nsibiri which is called nsibidi by the ekois though ancient is still deficient in certain aspects. the center for development of Igbo lingo in enugwu would be advised to take up development of this script so that in the nearest future it can supplant Latin as the script used for writing Igbo language
Re: Writing by cheruv: 6:46pm On Nov 09, 2014
ezeagu:
[img]http://2.bp..com/-bgJDIIj6WWc/VF83etk9T5I/AAAAAAAAAOE/xzp5wiJiBvY/s900/Ndi%2Bnchi%2Boha%2Bugbo.png[/img]
forgive me for being too forward in criticism but I must confess am quite amazed at what I saw after going through that guys PDF format for his work.
his script has a vocabulary of 1400 characters and from what I noticed some of the characters were built by addition/modification of 2 or more existing characters to form a new term.that's a good way of increasing the vocab..at least increasing to 10000+ characters isn't bad.after that he should send it to SPILC Enugwu and also make it available on the net,so that patriotic Igbos like myself can have it.
if this script is taught concurrently with the Igbo Latin script to kids as early as the ota akara stage,I wonder why they can't be proficient in it by the time they get to high school undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Life Like Living In Africa? / Hausafulani The Most Beautiful People In Africa(photos) / 25 English Words Borrowed From Igbo Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.