Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,685 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Laws Of Learning - The Law Of Association - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Laws Of Learning - The Law Of Association (2233 Views)

11 Little Known Laws Of Karma...you might wanna know / 12 Little Known Laws Of Karma (that Will Change Your Life) / Oou: Olabisi Onabanjo University,school Of Entertainment Or Citadel Of Learning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Laws Of Learning - The Law Of Association by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 08, 2014
Everyone has an understanding memory if activated. Your memory is not as bad as you think. In fact, its capability is amazing when harnessed. When we focus on how our memory may have disappointed us in the past - maybe in an examination or oral interview or at a time when we needed it the most - then we will tend to assume that we have a poor memory, which is hardly the case.

In a post on four laws of learning, four important laws of learning were discussed there - repetition or recitation, over-learning, confidence and reintegration. Here, another important law of learning - the law of association will be discussed:
The Law of Association

The law states that for you to remember anything you are learning, you must associate it with something that is similar to what you are learning.

For example, do you have difficulty in spelling the word "separate" and often spell "seperate" instead? To separate means "to part"; in other words, for you to remember separate, you can associate it with the word "part", and you will easily remember the spelling while learning it.

Another instance for one that goes to church: when you go to the altar to drop your offering, it is important that when you return, you should find the right place where you were sitting. Since the chairs in church would usually look alike, how would you do it? You may recall that you often associate the position of your seat with something else such as the number or rows in front of it to the offering basket or a bag on a chair in the same row with the chair in which you were sitting.

There are three rules of association:
1. The Rule of Similarity

This rule states that two ideas may be associated if they resemble each other. For example, the name Edison, which a man had been trying to recall for weeks after learning something about a man bearing the name he met a few days earlier was associated by similarity with the name of the famous Thomas Edison. The name flushed back to his mind the moment he picked up a book and started to read an article about the great inventor.
2. The Rule of Contrast

This rule states that two ideas may be associated if they contrast with each other. For example, when the word hunger is mentioned, we at once think of food. It is the same thing when we associate by contrast things we have learned.
3. The Rule of Contiguity

This rule states that two ideas may be associated if they have occurred together. For example, a well known song has the line: "moonlight and roses bring memories of you". Moonlight and roses were associated by contiguity with the song writer's beloved because they had probably all been present on the same occasion.

Culled from: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/11/laws-of-learning-law-of-association.html

Other Laws of learning: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/11/four-laws-of-learning-that-can-help-you.html

You can also find out about the law of revision at: http://www.mynaijadream.com/2014/11/laws-of-learning-law-of-revision.html

1 Like

Re: Laws Of Learning - The Law Of Association by zyzxx(m): 5:56pm On Nov 08, 2014
God bless u op. U are on point.
I remember back den. If we solve math in class I will understand, even wen I reach ome I will resolve it maybe just once and I believe it suppose to be there for life, after a week If I come across similar questions, I will be unable to solve dem, so I assume I don't av Gud memory. And it discourage me to read because I believe I will forget it. ( I believe there are genius )
Latter I moved closer to some brilliant student in my class we read together, I nw discovered dat dey too forget things easily even some forget things so fast dan me, but they use d law of associative.
pastor adeboye once said dat in his university days his professor tought dem dat until u solve and equation ur selve 10 times until den u won't forget.
Since den my mentality as change and it help me to read more often.

1 Like

Re: Laws Of Learning - The Law Of Association by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 09, 2014
zyzxx:
God bless u op. U are on point.
I remember back den. If we solve math in class I will understand, even wen I reach ome I will resolve it maybe just once and I believe it suppose to be there for life, after a week If I come across similar questions, I will be unable to solve dem, so I assume I don't av Gud memory. And it discourage me to read because I believe I will forget it. ( I believe there are genius )
Latter I moved closer to some brilliant student in my class we read together, I nw discovered dat dey too forget things easily even some forget things so fast dan me, but they use d law of associative.
pastor adeboye once said dat in his university days his professor tought dem dat until u solve and equation ur selve 10 times until den u won't forget.
Since den my mentality as change and it help me to read more often.
Thanks @zyzxx, you are very correct.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin Past Questions And Exam / Study In Philippines / Say No To CULTISM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.