Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,941 members, 7,821,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? (1126 Views)

Is Religion Really The Opium Of Nigerian Society? / Religion: Truly The Opium Of The Masses. / Does Anyone Believe That 3am Is Really The Evil/demon Hour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? by Chikoson5000: 8:22pm On Nov 09, 2014
I once attended a mass that the officiating priest just came back from Canada. During the priest's sermon, I was made to understand that in Canada, mass servers, ushers, and other church members who play active role to ensure that mass is well celebrated are paid from the proceeds from tithe, offerings, donations, etc. That is, they are not told their reward is in heaven while the pastor/priest/CEO of the church corners everything as his own reward starts on earth and then to heaven.

In Nigeria however, the church has become a medium through which the highest form of slavery is perpetrated. I accompanied a friend of mine to one of these booming one-man churches in Nigeria. Throughout the 4 hours I stayed there, I closely observed some group of well kitted young men and women who stood up walking about till the end of the service. These young people went round on several occasions counting and recording the mammoth crowd in the church (I keep asking why the members were counted).

In fact, they ensured there was order in the church; they collected offerings and tithes, administered communion, directed members to seats, etc. If I'm to estimate the money realised from that service, it would not be less than 3 Million Naira.

Now, ask me out of those proceeds what becomes the reward of those able bodied young men and women. Nothing of course, they are doing the work of God hence should wait for their heavenly reward. The General Overseer cum founder of the church whose reward is on earth takes the proceeds and pays the pastors a meagre sum. He then builds some mighty business empires including schools that even the ushers who work for the money can't afford.

What pains me most is not even the business empires these 'men of God' (I call them CEOs) have built for themselves, it's rather the manner in which educated youths have willingly submitted themselves to slavery. This is just a tip of the whole sad scenario. What about those that walk in hot sun and rain distributing flyers and advertising churches they have no stake in? Indeed, Karl Marx was right, religion has become an opium of the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 09, 2014
Karl Marx was referring to religion with Christianity as his reference.
Islam does not have an established priesthood... we are directly reponsible to the Creator for our actions. Independence is encouraged in Islam. Allah tells us to "reason", "ponder" or "think" dozens of times in the Qur'an.
Re: Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? by onetrack(m): 10:25pm On Nov 09, 2014
Abuamam:
Karl Marx was referring to religion with Christianity as his reference.
Islam does not have an established priesthood... we are directly reponsible to the Creator for our actions. Independence is encouraged in Islam. Allah tells us to "reason", "ponder" or "think" dozens of times in the Qur'an.

Go to Senegal where the Mallams do the exact same thing as the preachers in Nigeria. Also the Quran does ask the reader to reason but ultimately commands you to obey Muhammad.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 09, 2014
Senegal is not a case study for Islamic law. It is ignorance that makes them worship their shehus. It's like losing your money to a pyramid scheme, then claiming that all investment is foolishness.
Obedience to the prophet (saw) emphasises obedience to God's law as delivered by him. The preservation of prophetic traditions with such care has made Islamic law accessible to any sincere seeker who cares to open a book (website?). Before any "Shehu" can tell me story, he will have to provide valid evidence from Islamic sources.
That is why Islam encourages independence. It is difficult to deceive a learned muslim.
Re: Is Religion Really The Opium Of The Masses As Opined By Karl Marx? by otemanuduno: 9:34am On Apr 18, 2017
Hmm

(1) (Reply)

Scriptures Expounded: Blinded Eyes And Hardened Hearts - John 12:40 / What Is The Theme Of This Year To You? / SERMON JOTTERS: Warfare Weapon That Never Fails {part 1}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.