Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Is Our Culture The Problem? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Our Culture The Problem? (1063 Views)

Nigerian Culture: The Imoka Festival You Don't Know About / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Uruguayan Culture: The Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2008
Will Nigeria cease to be a failed state if the government ban all decentralized culture in order to improve homogeneity among its citizens?
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by HRhotness(f): 11:12pm On Nov 22, 2008
that'd be a huge mistake. . . our culture is our identity
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by ifyalways(f): 11:13pm On Nov 22, 2008
RedHotChic:

Will Nigeria cease to be a failed state if the government ban all decentralized culture in order to improve homogeneity among its citizens?
No,culture is not our problem.
We need to change ourselves. . . . . .our reasoning/mentality,attitude and approach and general outlook.
Individual change is the thing !
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 11:18pm On Nov 22, 2008
We need to change ourselvesour reasoning/mentality,attitude and approach and outlook to life.

How do we evolve into something else drastically when about 70% of us are uneducated and very tribal?. If Nigeria becomes a confederate state, it means that an Hausa man born in Ibadan is no more from Sokoto but from the state of oyo even though his parents are originally from Sokoto. It also means that all the benefits due to any Oyo indigene including political appointments and offices can be given to him. From your perspective, do you think that dream can be achieved in Nigeria in the next 100 years if we resort to self help to change our mind?
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 11:21pm On Nov 22, 2008
that'd be a huge mistake. . . our culture is our identity

Our identity is not necessarily tied to our culture and banning decentralized cultures does not mean that there will be none left to identify us. Some aspects of our culture like tribal marks has been lost by virtue of modernization and western religion yet we still maintain our identity after that.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by bawomolo(m): 12:24am On Nov 23, 2008
what do u mean by decentralized culture?
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by iice(f): 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2008
ifyalways:

We need to change ourselves. . . . . .our reasoning/mentality,attitude and approach and general outlook.

gbam! kiss
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by MandingoII(m): 8:09pm On Nov 23, 2008
INDIVIDUALS with Power is the problem.

Also,

an unmotivated public - not seeking CHANGES.

Barak Obama's campaign drew up the blue-print that the WORLD can copy.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 23, 2008
ifyalways:

Exactly. . . . One's culture does not define one's self.
Our Culture might be our identity, but there are times we have to think, and say "hmm, this is not right. I need to change it".
Sometimes what my people think is proper (such as a younger brother marrying his older brother's widow), I think is wrong, and I try to avoid it.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 10:18pm On Nov 23, 2008
Exactly. . . . One's culture does not define one's self.
Our Culture might be our identity, but there are times we have to think, and say "hmm, this is not right. I need to change it".
Sometimes what my people think is proper (such as a younger brother marrying his older brother's widow), I think is wrong, and I try to avoid it.

Then how do we mobilize people to change their tribal mentality since self help is almost not gonna happen?
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 23, 2008
RedHotChic:

Then how do we mobilize people to change their tribal mentality since self help is almost not going to happen?
If we pass it around.
If one person stops it and tells the other the wrong in that particular act. . . .if it gets passed around, then it'd be change.
But if we continue to do the act in fear of what others think, then no change will occur.

One person can make a change. . . .if that one person turns into group, into a team. . . .

Change cannot occur if we continue to fear.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 11:30pm On Nov 23, 2008
If we pass it around.
If one person stops it and tells the other the wrong in that particular act. . . .if it gets passed around, then it'd be change.
But if we continue to do the act in fear of what others think, then no change will occur.

One person can make a change. . . .if that one person turns into group, into a team. . . .

Change cannot occur if we continue to fear.

Write down your blue print for me on how it'll become a success and will it hurt if you lead this crusade?

Lol, start by banning veteran tribalists like sisjinx and Mcusman, they bring out the demon in me tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by bawomolo(m): 11:46pm On Nov 23, 2008
sisijinx is a tribalist?
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 23, 2008
bawomolo:

sisijinx is a tribalist?
shut up jor. You and DZ needs to get married. y'all wahala is too much. Her ekiti thread got me banned angry tongue

RedHotChic:

Write down your blue print for me on how it'll become a success and will it hurt if you lead this crusade?

Lol, start by banning veteran tribalists like sisjinx and Mcusman, they bring out the demon in me tongue tongue tongue.

I'll answer this in a few SECONDS wink . . .
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 6:41am On Nov 24, 2008
shut up jor. You and DZ needs to get married. y'all wahala is too much. Her ekiti thread got me banned

Who is this? That thread also killed DeepZone with one bullet in the skull. Seun must be the grandson of Sani Abacha.
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:48am On Nov 24, 2008
1. We need to enact appropriate laws to deal with institutionalized tribalism in Nigeria.

2. The existing laws must be enforced.

3. Nigerians must get out of that subservient/timid mentality that makes them accept all kinds of bullshit from certified idiots masquerading as politicians.

4. More enlightenment is needed to discard aspects of our culture that are utterly useless, senseless, foolish and macabre:
i. belief that some goon is in control of the  (no mortal has even an iota of control over the supernatural)
ii. belief that human sacrifice gives the murderer supernatural powers (the oldest bullshit in the history of anthropology!)
iii. belief that one can be harmed by another person by supernatural means (can an ant dictate to an elephant when and how to move?)
iv. attributing every death as having to do with the supernatural (no wonder our health care system is one of the worst in the world)

When Mary Slessor was campaigning against killing twins, the con men and opportunists that are referred to as babalawo, dibia or juju priests told us that allowing twins to live amongst us will bring the greatest calamity to our society because the gods will be angry. Today we love our twins and those idiots that lied to us and still lie to those dumb enough to listen to them are stuttering in unending idiocy!
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by SisiJinx: 2:56am On Nov 25, 2008
bawomolo:

sisijinx is a tribalist?

Errr. . . Duh! I can’t believe you still have to ask!!! Haven’t you noticed all the tribal bashing threads I’ve opened? Okay, okay maybe you missed them because they are under the names DeepZone, RedHotchick and any other asinine names I can come up with.

Well now you know, so stay tuned for more bashing because my day is never complete until I’ve made derogatory and baseless comments about other tribes!  grin
Re: Is Our Culture The Problem? by RedHotChic(f): 6:25am On Nov 25, 2008
Errr. . . Duh! I can’t believe you still have to ask!!! Haven’t you noticed all the tribal bashing threads I’ve opened? Okay, okay maybe you missed them because they are under the names DeepZone, RedHotchick and any other asinine names I can come up with.

Well now you know, so stay tuned for more bashing because my day is never complete until I’ve made derogatory and baseless comments about other tribes!

shocked shocked shocked shocked

History is my witness.

(1) (Reply)

Grover Washington Jr. - Little Black Samba / Quality Branded/customized T-shirts And Indian Wears / Yoruba Woman Kills Baby In UK?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.