Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,590 members, 7,958,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:42 AM

Laptop Troubleshooting - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Laptop Troubleshooting (1443 Views)

Networking Challenges & Troubleshooting / Help With Yahoo Troubleshooting / Troubleshooting Infiniti 3208 Large Format Printers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laptop Troubleshooting by francisgoshen(m): 4:35pm On May 10, 2005
Hi,

I have a laptop I've been working on for past weeks and it's yet to work. I was trying to reinstall an operating system on it but all have been proving abortive. Once I tried to manage to complete the installation but it didn't complete and since that time I've been seeking for knowledge on how to go about about it.

I will be expecting your wise advice.
Thanks.
Francis.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by Seun(m): 4:59pm On May 10, 2005
Hello Francis,

Welcome to Nairaland. it would be nice if you can supply the following info:[list][li]The make of the laptop, including manufacturer's name and product number[/li][li]Tell us about the events leading to the time the laptop stopped working[/li][li]Give us the full text of the error messages you get when you try to install Windows on it.[/li][/list]
Based on what you've said so far, I have to assume that you need a new hard disk. If this is not the case, we might be able to help you using the information I requested above.

Seun.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by diakim(m): 9:57am On May 11, 2005
Francis,

The problem with your laptop may not be that complicated. As Seun as asked, let us know the specs and model of your laptop, what happened just before it stopped working and what is the error message it is displaying.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by Hunter(m): 1:21pm On May 13, 2005
It's possible that all that was missing was the drivers and that prevented it running normally, once we get some more information we should be able to help you more.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by jogego(m): 7:19pm On May 31, 2005
francisgoshen:

Hi,

I have a laptop I've been working on for past weeks and it's yet to work. I was trying to reinstall an operating system on it but all have been proving abortive.  Once I tried to manage to complete the installation but it didn't complete and since that time I've been seeking for knowledge on how to go about about it.

I will be expecting your wise advice.
Thanks.
Francis.

What Operating system are you trying to install? Anyhow,Sounds to me like you have a bad installation disk. If you could try the CD on another system, that would confirm it.Or better still get another CD to use for the installation.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by Niggy(m): 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2005
if the problem is from ur hard disk as seun had guessed. i 'll suggest a repair on the hd b/4 replacement. there r some codes for return ur hard disk to a virgin state( as brought from the manufacturer) this is better than formatting. if needed let me know.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by pomotunde(m): 7:50am On Mar 11, 2006
Francis,

It's clear that the problem you have is caused by your Laptop's hard drive. But before you repartition or reformat the hard drive,
try this operation first:
Go into the Laptop's BIOS. You may have to either press F1 for IBM Laptops, F1 for most Dells, and F10 for most HP Laptops-
this is based on the manufacturer of the laptop.
Set all the configurations to DEFAULT. Then try the installation of Windows again.
If this operation doesn't solve the problem, remove the hard drive and plug it back in properly. It could be that the hard drive is loosed or may be it's not properly attached to its ribbon cable.
If this operation still doesn't solve the problem, now format the hard drive with a different file system. If the previous file system was NTFS, format it now with FAT32.
There are many ways to troubleshoot this laptop. However, for the sake of this medium, try this last method:
Let's say that you are trying to install Windows 2000, when the installation gets to a point where it asks you whether you want to setup up Windows or repair Windows, choose the option that says you want to repair Windows. Then choose recovery windows. If you are able to get to C:\ (C prompt), type chkdsk /f - this is a DOS command. When you get the C:\ (C prompt )again, type this Dos command also: fixboot.
If all these operations do not solve the problem, then you may have to buy another hard drive.

Philip
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by uzoma123(m): 1:41pm On Mar 31, 2011
@pomotunde

It is really a pity how people showcase there lack of knowledge on topics and issues they tend to proffer solution on.

I can not understand why you should be exposing your ignorance here. Maybe, you think this is all about formatting and installation of a new operating system. You should first of all ask which model of laptop and what was the original OS on it. Do you think that the way u install a 32-bit machine is the same with a 64-bit machine is the same. Please, stop exposing ur ignorance in a public domain like this.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by lifestyle1(m): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ Uzoma123 cant you see the date of the post? and why are you condemning his contribution, take things easy.
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by Alexanda07(m): 12:34am On Apr 01, 2011
Dear Engineers in the house, I have a HP Compaq nx6125 Laptop. My BIOS got corrupted, so therefore, i just can't edit anything in the BIOS Setup when i press the F10 key to the setup environment. My RAM and processor is quite okay. I therefore resolved to buy a new Motherboard for the Laptop. I have gone to HP service centers at Ikeja, Victoria Island, and Ikoyi. None was able to offer a solution. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the Motherboard in Lagos only and the expected price am to pay. Please, i love the laptop so much, even if its slow. Tel: 08038787872 Email: kcalex98@yahoo.com
Re: Laptop Troubleshooting by uzoma123(m): 12:27pm On Jun 04, 2011
The date is not the issue. The solution u are offering does not expire. People don't look at the date. They look at the prb and solution.

(1) (Reply)

Get Rapidshare Premium Account Here FREE / Brand New: Highest Grade/config Hp Laptops For Cheap Sale. / Do Nigerians Download Large Files

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.