Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,114 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Practical Christian Life Counselling - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Practical Christian Life Counselling (3852 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Kumuyi - Why The Church Is Called Deeper Christian Life Ministry - / Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2014
Christian Counselling is giving Christian advice. This is what this thread is all about.
"Lack of guidance leads to a nation's decline whereas numerous counsellors bring success” – Prov 11:14

Advice is a recommendation/ suggestion that you reserve the right to accept or reject.
Why do we need advice? Because we are forewarned of the challenges that life is filled with.
"Many are the troubles of the just but the LORD delivers them from it all” – Ps 34:20.
Every day in this world has it’s challenges. The Almighty GOD never promised us easy passage rather safe passage and arrival if we walk with HIM.
The solution of solidly walking with HIM is FAITH.

“Yet without faith it is impossible to please him: no one draws near to God without first believing that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him earnestly”. Heb 11:6

2 Likes

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 12:58pm On Nov 12, 2014
The foundation of every Christian in Christ is built on FAITH in HIM that never fails.
Life challenges keep throwing at moments of faith crisis. We experience this almost all facets of our daily life: Sorrow, Love, Giving, Marriage, giving, worshipping, work/ career, family life, etc

Our persistence in striving after HIS promises depends on the type of faith we have in HIM.

But what is faith?

“Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, evidence of things not seen” – Heb 11:1. Faith is believing in what GOD has revealed and holding onto it to be true without doubt or questioning.
Christian Faith may sound abstract but for the Holy Bible that is our guide for living a Christian life. Any situation we are going through is not original as somebody passed through such and emerged victorious in the LORD. It helps to go through the bible and chose a Faith model for any situation.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 12:59pm On Nov 12, 2014
A man in this world may not be good as a faith model due to man’s inconstancy. That is why it is said you can only be a Saint after your death because that is your birthday in Heaven but it is the result of your life on here that determines your destination afterwards.

My Biblical faith models in most situations are:
Mary, mother of our LORD Jesus Christ
Joseph, the husband
Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah (Schedrach, Meshach and Abednego)

Are you surprised that Abraham (our Father in faith) is not included?
I’ll state my reasons for the people I adopted as we journey along.
As we journey along, try and adopt your own faith models so we can jointly navigate life challenges that come our way
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 2:48pm On Nov 12, 2014
How does this our Life journey using faith models apply to life situations?
Take Joseph as an example. “Then Joseph her husband made plans to divorce her in all secrecy, he was an upright man and in no way did he want to discredit her (Mary)”. Mat 1:19

First He was on right standing with GOD. He was kind hearted and not vengeful

An Angel told him in the dream and told him not to reject Mary as it by the Holy Spirit that she is pregnant. And he believed !! How could he believe what has never happened before – Faith!!
Even at that, they could not even afford a good place for the Child GOD to be born. Imagine you as a Father or Father to be not being able to provide for your family? How do you handle it? Do you give up? Command GOD? Pray and hope? Take the situation “wholly’ into your hands and do whatever you fill is necessary?
But Joseph just had faith. Imagine being told to flee from a mere mortal. That he the man GOD chose would call father on earth should take the Child Jesus (Son of GOD) and flee from a mere mortal?
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 2:49pm On Nov 12, 2014
This was after the wahala of moving the pregnant mother to Bethlehem due to the census order. I imagine he had to trek alongside their wife’s camel/ donkey
But Joseph had “foolish” faith in GOD and did as told. Funny thing was that if I were to be Joseph at this instruction in the dream to flee, when I wake up I will:
a) ask GOD for instant confirmation of Mary as a Godly woman not one marine spirit
b) ask the GOD to show me real tangible proof about the baby and the mother
c) ask GOD to prove HIMSELF as capable and take care of the person pursuing us
d) and so on and so forth incl that I see that HOLY SPIRT physically
All these and more I would DEMAND without even checking my standing with GOD
But he did none of these – faith is marvelous !! Faith lets us allow GOD to be GOD and not command HIM to do our will or submit to us
What about you? Have you been is such situations?
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:05pm On Nov 12, 2014
It continues:
Then you return and continue life as a carpenter to provide for your wife (Mary), your Son (Jesus also Son of GOD). And God allowed it so.
How come he did not ask:
what kind of GOD is this?
Or go to consult some seers?
Have you ever wondered if he desired to see Jesus perform miracles?

He did none of these ‘cos he had faith and faith in GOD has contentment with divine providence attached to it.
No wonder the disciples said “Lord increase our faith”
But first step is to, ask the Holy Spirit to illumine your life that you may know your faults, repent, have perfect contrition, purge ourselves of fleshy desires, submit to the leading of the holy Spirit, ask for HIS mercy. All these aim to improve our standing with GOD. We are not perfect but we are meant to aspire for it.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:45pm On Nov 12, 2014
You may have noted one phrase I used :"allow GOD to be GOD
How does it work? Examples from my faith models:

Mary
The life of your son that the Angel told you is the Son of GOD and you are quite sure was conceived by the HOLY SPIRIT is filled with experiences that contradict human dictates (no wonder Peter told Jesus to stop saying HE will be killed) such as
The flight during pregnancy
No place to give birth
The prophecy of Simeon at HIS presentation
HIS staying back at the temple after feast of Passover
HIS upbringing in a carpenter’s family
Death of Joseph without GOD stopping it
Death of nephew (John the Baptist) without Jesus or Father in Heaven intervening
Telling the servants to do whatever He tells them when HE just sort of disagreed with you – miracle at Cana
HIS submission to human authority to carry the cross when you know and have witnessed HIS miraculous powers at work
HIS passion: crucifixion and death

How come she never despaired? Can any of us today accept such?
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 4:04pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah (Schedrach, Meshach and Abednego)
This their statement to King Nebuchadnezzar says it all: “King Nebuchadnezzar, we need not defend ourselves before you on this matter. If you order us to be thrown into the furnace, the GOD we serve will rescue us. But even if he won't, we would like you to know, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden statue you have set up." Dan 3:16 - 19
This demonstrate:
Conviction in GOD, HIS power, HIS love, mercy and HIS sovereignty, HIS exclusive reserve to do whatever HE chose but firm believe that all is to HIS glory. Which is the underlying principle of FAITH – Glory of GOD first not good of man. It is in HIS glory that man benefits
They were convinced of their decision to obey GOD not because HE MUST or WILL or HAVE TO rescue them to save HIS name but because they love HIM and were not willing to offend HIM to please man
These three young men said such even before the benefit of having the precious blood of JESUS shed for them !!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2014
Most crisis we go through in life has faith crisis as underlying cause. We seem to inherently cling to the believe that we are right. That GOD should do what we want. That we know what is best for us.

In the bible some Prophets, patriarchs, Priests etc suffered Faith crisis/ doubts although they never remained down nor despondent. HIS mercy makes sure we don’t remain down trodden so far we are willing – even just a little bit.
Observe one thing common to my faith models: They never suffered a faith crisis. Why?
They had “foolish” faith in GOD and aimed for HIS glory first before their own good.
They never commanded or demanded from GOD
They never requested that HE change rather they changed to fit with HIS will
They believe that HE knew what is best for them and abandoned themselves to HIS will
But we have much more going for us – The sacrifice of the cross hence we are more that the Prophets, etc – more than conquerors
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2014
So what crisis or challenge are you facing now?
What is that challenge that is threatening your faith in GOD?
making you question HIS love, mercy,blessings, steadfastness, promises?
Is it marital challenges? family wahala? career? peer pressure?

Remember whatever you are facing now is not original. people faced such and overcame it. And you are much more endowed to overcome than they were. How do we submit and let/allow GOD to lead us and not us lead HIM?

Adopt a faith model from the bible and let’s continue. It is well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by ebankole: 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2014
How can a believer overcome fear??
Thanks.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by OasisofRefuge(f): 5:07am On Nov 13, 2014
Nice one sir @op. Bless you
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by OasisofRefuge(f): 5:08am On Nov 13, 2014
ebankole:
How can a believer overcome fear??
Thanks.
fear of what? you didn't state it.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 9:14am On Nov 13, 2014
Fear:

Fear can be general or specific. General fear of all things is fundamental but fear for/ over specific things stems from experience. Fear also can be GOOD or BAD !! Example Fear of GOD is very good !!! It is normally qualified as reverent fear!!! Under this includes fear of offending him ignorantly, willingly by act, words, thoughts or omission. This fear should flows from LOVE of GOD. We are afraid to offend GOD that loves you so much and we are striving in our own little way to Love HIM- though we can never love him as much as HE loved and loves us. This makes us develop fear of sin/ sinning!! This is because we don't have perfect love !!!

There are many verses in the bible that states need to fear GOD but all are based on the fact that we don't have perfect love of GOD. Perfect love of GOD drives away fear and all that is left is LOVE and REVERENCE of HIM !!!

We all know ourselves and our inherent weaknesses and inconstancy hence we should have reverent fear of GOD!! It makes us realise that without HIM we can do nothing !!!

We sometimes encounter this type of fear also in our everyday lives and with the people around us.

A child that normally sees his Dad as his all in all would be afraid of offending him and making him sad. He would want always to do things that the Dad would be happy with

A husband that loves his wife and sees/ believes her to be a gift from GOD would be afraid of offending GOD by being unfaithful to her, etc

A Parent would be afraid offending GOD by being negligent with the children he/ she believes are gifts from GOD
An unmarried girl/ boy would be afraid of offending GOD by defiling her body that she holds to be temple of the HOLY SPIRIT
An unmarried pregnant girl would be afraid of aborting her pregnancy though out of wedlock because she believes that though she sinned, aborting adds to her offences against GOD
A prophet would be afraid of not delivering any prophet message GOD revealed to him to the intended beneficiary and hence displease GOD by this act of obedience
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 9:40am On Nov 13, 2014
So the fundamental question is what is the source of any fear we have?

Answer to this would reveal the type of fear we have. Good or Bad Fear. Use of Good or Bad is to distinguish btwn the types of fears as above

Bad Fear
"Bad" fear is as a result of weakness in faith (whenever i use faith, i mean Christian faith in GOD)
doubt about GOD’s love and steadfastness in our lives.
doubt of HIS sufficiency
doubt about HIS Provision
doubt about his faithfulness to HIS word
believe that we are incharge
believe in oneself over GOD
believe in the created instead of the Creator
inability to explain GOD and HIS mysterious ways which leads to doubt

We would now use practical everyday life experiences to discuss these and how to overcome this type of fear
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by ebankole: 11:19am On Nov 13, 2014
OasisofRefuge:
fear of what? you didn't state it.

i thought Tranglatar has answered my question.

Well,as for you question,Fear of the unknown??
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by ebankole: 11:22am On Nov 13, 2014
Enm

Saraha1

et al

You are welcome comment and let's encourage our brother.
Thanks
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Saraha1(f): 12:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
The fear of the unknow is what most people face.
You see christains asking indirect question through their action, question such as : how long will this continue? When extacly will God hear my cry? Hmm! Hope all what have being seeing in my dream is not the opposite that God is giving me in reality?
Is it true that there is actually nothing impossible for God to do?

All I ask of everyday is the ability to overcome fears.

Over to you translator.
What are the outcome of fear in the life of a christain and how do we overcome fear?

1 Like

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:35pm On Nov 14, 2014
Fear of the unknown

Is there really anything like fear of the unknown?
Every fear we have has an object, source. We always know what we are afraid of, for what and over what.
That we chose not to confront our object of fear, etc and hide behind the cloak of unknown stems from the fact that we want to mask/ mystify our object of fear to avoid being mocked.
If a child is afraid of going into a dark place, do we call it fear of the unknown?
I don’t think so as the child can list to you so many things he’s afraid would happen to him.
If we chose not to go to the village for an occasion due to hindsight of prophetic warning about possible negative consequences, is this fear of the unknown?
When I am afraid to take on greater challenges for fear of failure and being laughed at, is this fear of the unknown?

I would welcome someone giving me a typical example of fear of the unknown.

Unless what we mean by the unknown is our inability to determine the result of any of our action. Since we cannot be sure of result of our actions/ decisions, etc we tend to fear.

Is this not akin to pride? Fear of failure? Fear of being wrong?
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2014
A lot of the so called Atheists remain as they are because they cannot fathom GOD. They cannot understand HIS ways, predict HIM and analyse HIM. This inability to apply logic to the Almighty GOD is frustrating to someone that one wants to be sure of the outcome of any of his actions/ decision

I think that what we call fear of the unknown is frustration at not being able to predict the future with certainty. So because we don’t know what lies ahead we tend to fear to venture.

This fear can never be eliminated via any other way except by trusting in GOD. HIS steadfastness, love, provision, etc.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2014
Take a very practical everyday scenario as an example:

Miss A and Master B are praying and waiting for the right marriage partner
Both are good practicing Christians living out the faith
Both have kept their body from defilement and lived righteous lives
Both believe in GOD with all their heart
Both have not met or aware of each other’s existence

One day someone introduced Master B to Miss A and without wasting time, master B proposed to miss A – there and there at the first meeting !!!
What do you think miss A did? She literally ran away. Master B kept following up with to say yes or no!!
Miss A kept praying, but never said yes or no to master B

After much persistence, Master B started consulting prophets, pastors, seers, etc to confirm if miss A is indeed his God assigned life partner.
Meanwhile Miss A is in decision land agony. Consulting all the above and even waiting for GOD to speak out to her loud from heaven

Let’s analyse what has played out / playing out:
Master B was convinced the first time
Miss A was scared – of what? The unknown?
Miss A is scared she cannot predict her future with master B
This later affected master B who expected it to be “easy” and straight with his GOD “assigned” life partner.
Even the prophets, etc cannot assuage miss A’s fear of an uncertain future
Doubt would crawl gradually into master’s B’s mind

In this situation, what went wrong and suggest possible solutions.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 4:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
To me this is lack of faith in action

Miss A would prefer that GOD tell her from the heaven, assure her and show how her life started and would play out with Master B. (within the idea that she can attribute any challenges in challenge that may arise in the marriage to GOD’s choice for her and blame HIM – like our guy Adam)

But does and would GOD do that? Even if HE did for Miss A do you think she will believe HIM? Of course NO!!! Why? We don’t trust GOD !! We only trust what we conceive within ourselves

Remember what Abraham told the rich (in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus), that even if someone is went from Heaven to warn/ tell his brothers what await them if they don’t change, that they won’t believe.

It is very difficult for her to accept that as she has lived a good life, prayed, etc that she should consider the Christian character merits of the guy and say yes or no. If yes and they prayerfully continue in righteous living till wedding then whatever challenge that arise already has solution in GOD!!

These challenges would always arise.
Master B is developing doubt due to reactions of Miss A. He would forget that he should continue asking in prayer. Doubts arise because in his mind he is already married to Miss A and could envision what their life together would be like.
The mere thought of approaching another girl is out of his mind as he is already married in his mind. He has come to conclusion and awaiting for GOD to sanction it.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
In the above circumstance, miss A failed to realize that GOD would not give HIS own stone/ scorpion when he asks for bread.

The key consideration are the following (from miss A’s perspective as she’s facing the dilemma):

Miss A standing with GOD
Her trust and Faith in HIM
Her purpose for marriage – it must be for God’s glory first not to give vent to any sexual fantasies playing out in her mind
Her readiness to face marital/ family challenges
All other family checks, incl cultural affinity, etc

IF she is in affirmative in all the above, she should say yes having firm faith that if Master B is the wrong person for her then the marriage proposal would come to naught. The Holy Spirit would “blow” him out of her “sight”, this is the extend of HIS steadfastness with us if we walk with HIM.

1 Like

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 11:28am On Nov 17, 2014
Courtship for ten years does not guarantee that you know your fiancé/fiancée when she/ he does not even know herself/ himself.
Have you not heard people say of themselves:

I was surprised I could do that.
I never knew I had it in me.
My actions that time amaze me.
I wondered if I was the one.
I didn’t know how I did that

How can one be sure of HIS presence?

Believing in the sacrifice of the cross
Striving not to mock the cross by sins, etc
Purging of oneself of sinful desires
Forgiving people who offend us
Showing love and mercy to our neighbor
Try to live a Holy life. When we fall, get up and continue. Don’t stay down brooding.
Having a repentant heart and perfect contrition for our sins
Offering HIM worthy praises and adoration
(remember that our worship and praises adds nothing to HIS greatness. Rather it is a gift from HIM that profits us for our salvation). So don’t get puffed up with HIM because you’ve rendered praise hence should be blessed in return.

Laying our desires at HIS feet
Submitting to HIS will
Avoid pride and arrogance –
(none of the above gives you automatic merit to HIS presence, this is what is expected of you in the first instance. “…afterall the servant when he comes back from the farm would wait on the master before ..”). But doing all these put you in a better disposition for HIS unmerited grace

1 Like

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 11:32am On Nov 17, 2014
Fear of the Unknown and Parable of the talents

I am sure most of us are familiar with the talents; where a man going on a journey gave his servants different quantities of talents to each of his three servants. “… to each according to his ability”
The servants that received five and two talents respectively were active, overcame fear of failure, invested and had returns. The servant with one talent submitted to fear of failure, went passive and did not invest rather waited with excuses to report to the master when he comes back.
And what did that earn him from the master?
GOD created us to be active Christians in faith not passive Christians.
Believing in HIM and having faith in HIMN without good works is passive Christianity due to fear of failure
We have to trust in HIS steadfastness and be active in our Christian lives with good works
Remember HIS words; "i would prefer that thou wert cold or hot....you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold so I will spit you out of my mouth"
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 11:33am On Nov 17, 2014
When you do all these be sure that challenges would arise, but HE has provided the solution already. Be wise, prudent and follow HIS direction

Why would challenges arise:

We are constantly at war in this world till Heaven
You “risk” avoiding hell and are headed for Heaven which the devil doesn’t/ won’t like
The world (agents of the devil) would hate you and want to pull you down to their level
You may be standing on a faulty foundation – like Gideon. And as HE showed Gideon how to rebuild his foundation, so also HE would show and direct you
Your life (words, thoughts and actions) make you a soul winner
You become a cause/ source of joy for the Heavenly Church (remember “.. that there is great joy in Heaven over one repentant sinner…”). What do you think the Heaven would think of you?
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 11:46am On Nov 17, 2014
Do you still doubt HIS steadfastness? How would I be sure that HE would be there for me when the challenge arise?

I’ll discuss the Miracle at Cana a little so we may realize that GOD is ever present and at work in our lives whether we realize it or not. And constantly protect us from shame and defeat without our knowledge.

Vs 1 - Two days later there was a wedding in the town of Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,
Vs 2 - And Jesus and His disciples had also been invited to the wedding.
Commentary: Divine providence is always provided by God for those that trust in Him

Vs 3 - When the wine had given out, Jesus’ mother said to Him, “They have no wine left”.
Commentary: The Saints and Angels in Heaven are ever ready to intercede for us before Christ. Nobody that puts his trust and faith in God will ever face shame or defeat.

Vs 4 - You must not tell me what to do,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come”.
Commentary: Our prayers and desires must be subordinate to the will of God and His time. The prayers of the saints and angels can win us GOD’s favours like the persistent widow.

Vs 5 - Jesus’ mother then told the servants,” Do whatever he tells you.”
Commentary: Total faith and trust in God is required for in prayers as exemplified by Jesus Mother. “… whatever thou asketh Thee in prayer, believe that Thou has answered it ..” The Mother right from time always believed that God can do all things!!!

Vs 6 - The Jews have rules about ritual washing, and for this purpose six stone water jars were there, each one large enough to hold about a hundred litres.
Commentary: The jars were empty but cannot stop God. We don’t qualify and provide what God needs to use in helping us. Only (an enabling environment) a faithful heart is required

Vs 7 - Jesus said to the servants, “Fill these jars with water.” They filled them to the brim,
Commentary: Importance of faith and trust. Don’t ask if He can change water into wine, why not miraculously fill the jars? Why do we have to work to fill it? He does it His own way that we also may bear witness in cooperation

Vs 8 - and then He told them, “Now draw some water out and take it to the man in charge of the feast.” They took him the water,
Commentary: Total and child like trust in God is a prerequisite for efficacious prayers. He tests our faith. Even though he had done the miracle, He still referred to the content as water but the humble faith of the servants and trust in Him made them believe and not question it.

Vs 9 - which now had turned into wine, and he tasted it. He did not know where this wine had come from (but, of course, the servants who had drawn the water knew); so he called the bridegroom
Commentary: The Lord provides for His own while they sleep. Even the bridegroom did not know where the wine came from. Not even the “earthly” master of the ceremony - chairman

Vs 10 - and said to him, “Everyone else serves the best wine first, and after the guests have had plenty to drink, he serves the ordinary wine. But you have kept the best wine until now!”
Commentary: No need filling ourselves with vain things when the things of the Lord will surely come at His time. We should wait on Him and prepare for Him

Vs 11 - Jesus performed this first miracle in Cana in Galilee; there He revealed His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.
Commentary: We should allow God to glorify Himself in our lives and not interfere in His divine work.

In all these, the bridegroom was seated at the high table not knowing that the beautiful occasion was about to be cut short for lack of wine. Even if he knew at that time, what could he have done. Notice how the LORD let him stay unperturbed while HE provides. Then check out the quality of the wine HE provided as testified to by the chief of the occasion. This kind GOD!!
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 4:17pm On Nov 18, 2014
The Extra ordinary faith of the ten lepers : Lk 17: 11-19

When people read and meditate on this passage, they normally focus on the leper that came back to thank our Lord Jesus. Permit to paste the passage here while we discuss it:

11 On the way to Jerusalem, Jesus was passing along the border between Samaria and Galilee, and
12 as he entered a village, ten lepers came to meet him.
13 Keeping their distance, they called to him, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"

Even in their distress they had humility. There wanted to be healed, were desperate but believed in abiding by the law, being respectful and orderly, never forceful. It was a request, prayer, supplication not an order or instruction

14 Then Jesus said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." Now, as they went their way, they found they were cured.
Imagine faith of these Lepers !! They believed that if HE said we should go and show ourselves, then it is done already !! They did not demand for prayers like Naaman. And see what their simple and total faith did for them – they were healed. Remember how the servants at the wedding in Cana took water to the chief of the occasion? Same here.

15 One of them, as soon as he saw he was cleansed, turned back praising God in a loud voice, and
16 throwing himself on his face before Jesus, he gave him thanks. This man was a Samaritan.
17 Then Jesus said, "Were not all ten healed? Where are the other nine?
18 Was no one found to return and give praise to God but this alien?"
19 And Jesus said to him, "Stand up and go your way; your faith has saved you."

HE is waiting to do same fo all of us. Just yield/ allow/ submit and have faith.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
Sins of Omission and Passive Christianity

Our discussion would be based on the following
The parable of Lazarus and the rich man - Lk 16: 19-31
The parable of the talents: Matt 25: 14 - 30
Revelations 3:15

1 Like

Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2014
Sins of Omission and Passive Christianity

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man - Lk 16: 19-31

If I may ask what sin did the rich man commit? As you go thru the passage, note the following:

We were not told the rich man was dishonest, greedy and very corrupt - maybe he made his money honestly
The rich man was aware of Lazarus condition and did nothing
Maybe he was waiting for Lazarus to ask LOUDLY that everyone would notice
He may not even be aware of what his dogs do to Lazarus
Lazarus was never vengeful nor demanding
Lazarus maintained his humility
The rich man was even kind hearted and didn't want his brothers to join him in hell – where as a lot of us would pray and hope for that, since we never made heaven, so how can they enjoy the wealth I left behind and still make Heaven
Lazarus never replied the rich man from Abraham’s bosom – maybe filled with pity but he cannot do anything

So what was the rich man guilty of - Sin of omission !!! Not doing what he ought to do !!! beings passive instead of doing good works

As a Christian it is our duty and responsibility to pray to the Holy Spirit to illumine our minds and soften our heart to those GOD wants to favour using us.

You maybe holding onto what is not yours in the name of saving for your future generations. Love of GOD and neighbour demands good works as directed by the Holy Spirit. So don't shut the Holy Spirit out and keep worrying about yourself and your own alone.

Be a Simon of Cyrene or Veronica and someone's life to the glory of GOD. But do it as directed/ led by the Holy Spirit.
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 10:14am On Nov 21, 2014
Sins of Omission and passive Christianity (contd)

The parable of the talents: Matt 25: 14 - 30

what did being afraid of the environmental risk and pressures earn the servant with one talent that went and hid it?
What did their believing and having active faith do for the servants that invested their talents?
We as Christians should "ascertain our standing with GOD" (repent, purge and have life sanctified), then pray to the Holy Spirit to illumine their mind on what GOD has given them and where best to use it to HIS glory and not just on their own make an ignorant fearful and selfish decision.

For every Christian GOD has given the talent to be active in this life and glorify GOD. But, many Christians and non-Christians are suffering for our acts of omission

It is time for all of us to put our GOD given talent to work (invest our allocated talents). Remember we would be held accountable for how we invested/ put our talent to use for the salvation of souls.

If any feels he/ she doesn't know his/ her talent, let him/ her prayerful ask GOD to enlighten his/ her ignorance and the Holy Spirit will to the glory of GOD

And whenever we use our talent the considerations should be in the following order:
1) Glory of GOD
2) Succour for (benefiting)souls
3) Our own joy

And as we do this, we should pray that we continue to decrease and the Holy Spirit continue to increase and all glory and honour ascribed to GOD. This is very important to avoid pride
Re: Practical Christian Life Counselling by Tranglatar(m): 5:02pm On Nov 21, 2014
Sins of Omission and passive Christianity (contd)

Revelations 3:15-16

15 I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot!
16 You are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold so I will spit you out of my mouth.

To be Cold is to be an unbeliever in words, thoughts and actions
To be lukewarm is to be a passive Christian
To be hot is to be an active Christian

Given the opportunity to make a choice based on the passage from the scripture above, which option would you chose?
to be an unbeliever in words, thoughts and actions?
to be vomited? How do you like your vomit?
to be submissive to HIM?

Our GOD is not contented with just not being offended HE wants positive active actions. “You must be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect” Matt 5:48

How can a man on this evil infested world be perfect? But “What is impossible to man is possible for God” Lk 18: 27

Yield/ submit to the Holy Spirit/ let HIM have HIS way in your life – this is the solution.

Sometimes I feel it’s the liberty and freewill that GOD gave man is what become our albatross. But for GOD to give it us means it is for good !! “everything worketh for the good of those that believe in HIM”

Freewil/ liberty is not freedom to do what you like without boundaries/ rather freedom to do what you like within HIM/ HIS laws not outside !!
We should never take the love of GOD for granted like the foolish son in the parable of the prodigal son – that is why some theologians prefer to call it the parable of the prodigal father. Saying that GOD is so wasteful with love !! (Prodigal means wasteful)

Next topic we will discuss is getting married and Personal Revelations - OR DO YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA/ TOPIC

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pray For Me / A Prophetic Declaration By Bishop David Oyedepo, For 2019. / Mistranslated 1Samuel 13:1 By Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.