Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription (8573 Views)

The Inscription On Placards Used By JAMB Protesters (Photos) / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] / UTME Use Of English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Timijo(m): 8:32am On Nov 13, 2014
Which is correct?
Cars are parked at owner's risk or cars are parked at owners' risk.
Please state your reason(s)
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by melotreaah(m): 8:37am On Nov 13, 2014
Timijo:
Which is correct?
This is correct>>>>> Cars are parked at owner's risk

3 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2014
Cars are parked at owners' risks.
The risk will come in plural form.
Ayamlaykorn

8 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Spicylate(f): 9:13am On Nov 13, 2014
melotreaah:
what you are saying is that: cars are parked at owner is risk. which is wrong. i think it should be the latter

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by christejames(m): 9:18am On Nov 13, 2014
Cars are parked at owners' risk is correct.

11 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Timijo(m): 9:19am On Nov 13, 2014
laykorn:
Cars are parked at owners' risks.
The risk will come in plural form.
Ayamlaykorn
I agree with you. I told my boss who is a white man but he is yet to be convinced.
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 13, 2014
Timijo:
I agree with you. I told my boss who is a white man but he is yet to be convinced.
What does he say it should be?
Ayamlaykorn
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by melotreaah(m): 9:56am On Nov 13, 2014
Spicylate:

what you are saying is that: cars are parked at owner is risk. which is wrong. i think it should be the latter
No dear.... don't get it wrong ok. For example you own a bag, and if i should come and found your bag on the floor and i asked who owns this bag; reply: Its spicylate's bag. #shikena. Same thing applied to <owner's risk>. wink

2 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by brainpower(m): 10:08am On Nov 13, 2014
I think its cars are parked at owners' risk. Cos since the cars is plural then the owners should be plural with the mark after the letter s. But if the statement was "car parked at owner's risk" then you can put the letter s after the mark.

23 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Spicylate(f): 10:10am On Nov 13, 2014
melotreaah:
No dear.... don't get it wrong ok. For example you own a bag, and if i should come and found your bag on the floor and i asked who owns this bag; reply: Its spicylate's bag. #shikena. Same thing applied to <owner's risk>. wink
kk

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by md4real(m): 10:19am On Nov 13, 2014
It should be cars are parked at owner's risk. apostrophes always shows possession.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by rattlesnake(m): 10:42am On Nov 13, 2014
Timijo:
Which is correct?
olodo...."cars are parked for/with owners risk"
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Abbey2sam(m): 11:59am On Nov 13, 2014
Cars are parked at owners risk

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Timijo(m): 12:09pm On Nov 13, 2014
melotreaah:
Can you explain why it is cars are parked at owner's risk? If we are to rewrite it without the apostrophe, it will be cars are parked at the risk of owner. The question is, can 1 person park more than one car at a time? The answer is no. So it is wrong.
The correct one is: Cars are parked at owners' risk. If we rewrite it without using apostrophe it will be, cars are parked at the risk of owners. Since we have owners, then we have many cars and this is correct. But one owner can not park more than one car at a time.

18 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by lanetrips: 12:15pm On Nov 13, 2014
cars are parked at owners' risk...cars being plural are expected to be owned by 2 or more owners or drivers(the apostrophe ' is to take care of the second s as you cannot have another s after owners in that context)

4 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by meelorlah(f): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2014
md4real:
It should be cars are parked at owner's risk. apostrophes always shows possession.
Yea,It shows possession but in this case,we have more than one owner. So the mark comes after d plural noun and that's y we have owners' .
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Timijo(m): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2014
melotreaah:
I want you to understand that it is a bag (singular) and one person (Spicylate). The cars and owners are plural words. I also want you to understand that the word ''owners'' was not used as a name in the sentence, it was used as possessive pronoun.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by frank4t(m): 1:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
Timijo:
is he mr English?
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Codedboy95(m): 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
owners' risk is right... someone already explained why..
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
Cars are packed for owners risk....lol
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by lyricalpontiff(m): 2:20pm On Nov 13, 2014
Timijo:
Can you explain why it is cars are parked at owner's risk? If we are to rewrite it without the apostrophe, it will be cars are parked at the risk of owner. The question is, can 1 person park more than one car at a time? The answer is no. So it is wrong.
The correct one is: Cars are parked at owners' risk. If we rewrite it without using apostrophe it will be, cars are parked at the risk of owners. Since we have owners, then we have many cars and this is correct. But one owner can not park more than one car at a time.

I will go with yours.
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by zieraw2005(m): 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2014
cars are parked at owners risk is the correct English. thank me later
www.zieraw..com
cars parked at owners risk! how did you see that? hope good?
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Wisegeek01(m): 2:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
If cars are parked @ owners risk then park the car somewhere else Bruv. .. Lol *sips Alomo*

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Timijo(m): 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
zieraw2005:
cars are parked at owners risk is the correct English. thank me later
www.zieraw..com
cars parked at owners risk! how did you see that? hope good?
Yours is wrong without the apostrophe after owners.

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Tokunbohkinibig: 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2014
The correct sentence is Cars are parked at "owners'" risk.
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by willi926(m): 3:06pm On Nov 13, 2014
Whether car park @ owner's risk or cars parked @ owners' risk, d tin b say we understand wetin e wan convey. English no b we own.
Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by MadCow1: 3:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
Owners' that is the correst form..

Reason: This is simply a matter of Singular Possesive nouns versus Plural Possesive Nouns.. When you put an apostrophe (') before an 's' in a possesive noun, the noun is 'Singular' (meaning one owner).. But when you place the apostrophe (') after an 's' in a possesive noun, it refers to many..

Owner's = Singular possesive Noun. (Implies 1 owner)
Owners' = Plural possesive Noun. (Implies many owners)

Example..

1. The Boy's Books are on the Table.. (One Boy)
2. The Boys' books are on the table... (Many Boys)

MadCow... Mad since 1921..

5 Likes

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by AndreRose(f): 3:19pm On Nov 13, 2014
melotreaah:
Your correct. See Evidence...

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by MadCow1: 3:27pm On Nov 13, 2014
AndreRose:

Your correct. See Evidence...

Very wrong..

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 13, 2014
MadCow1:

Very wrong..
she just saw "at owner's risk" and concluded that it was right. She forgot too soon that there was no "cars are parked" in that sentence.

1 Like

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by MadCow1: 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2014
Vessi:

she just saw "at owner's risk" and concluded that it was right. She forgot too soon that there was no "cars are parked" in that sentence.

Below is a snippet of the article she referenced..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1860160_cusersl0239211picturesc_png376a402e862871afe7e42d7f1c6cdb25

It was a case involving a parking garage and a Man (Mr Thorton) who was claming damages for an accident that happened inside the garage..

That line is a narrative on wikipedia referencing just mr. thortons car not all the 'Cars'.. Notice how the sentence begins with 'In the present case'.. grin

Kai.. I love the English Language.. grin

The thing has cost people billions because somebody misplaced a comma in an agreement.

Re: I Need Good Speakers Of English To Correct This Inscription by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
MadCow1:

Below is a snippet of the article she referenced..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1860160_cusersl0239211picturesc_png376a402e862871afe7e42d7f1c6cdb25

It was a case involving a parking garage and a Man (Mr Thorton) who was claming damages for an accident that happened inside the garage..

That line is a narrative on wikipedia referencing just mr. thortons car not all the 'Cars'.. Notice how the sentence begins with 'In the present case'.. grin

Kai.. I love the English Language.. grin

The thing has cost people billions because somebody misplaced a comma in an agreement.

grin The Law court is an interesting place to watch people cry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Times Nature Made Us Say “NOPE” (VIEWERS DISCRETION) / 90 % Would Fail This Question / Apply for 2020 BSc, MSc and PhD Chinese Government Scholarship- HND can apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.