Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol (920 Views)

Petrol Tanker On Fire Along Lagos Ibadan Expressway / Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by Piyke: 10:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
Wished that our petrol here had octane ratings just like the UK or US. I guess the need for this thread wouldn't have arisen. I've decided to make this thread because this year alone, I've had 3 separate experiences of bad petrol in my car. I'm currently having one.

I also believe different car may react differently so what are the signs you normally notice when you buy bad gas.
Re: Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by Piyke: 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
For my 2003 Accord LX rarely would it show immediate signs. But it did do so some years back by throwing a Check Engine Light once exiting the filling station. A bottle of injector cleaner and some driving cleared the CEL.

Didn't have a scanner then so I couldn't check for the codes!
Re: Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by Piyke: 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2014
By far the most common sign the Accord gives me when I've got bad gas shows up the next morning after filling up...A sluggish rise in RPM at startup angry angry angry

Usually in this model of Accord once the engine is cranked, the RPM go sharply to 1500RPMs and then reduces as the car warms up. But with bad petrol sometimes, it would just sluggishly rise to 1500RPM. It may even stall!

I remember how I thought I had a fuel pump issue when I experienced this for the first time. I usually deal with this by driving till fuel light comes on then I fill up and add injector cleaner . Voila its gone grin

Should one drain the fuel rather than drive? sad
Re: Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by lonelydora: 10:26pm On Nov 13, 2014
I was experiencing it with my mercedes 230E back in the days but have not experienced it with my current honda accord. Maybe because I buy petrol from only one filling station in PH.

1 Like

Re: Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by ogawisdom(m): 7:33am On Nov 14, 2014
I always buy fuel frm abt two filling station so ve nt experienced this yet. I always ve this in mind while buying fuel.
undecided
Re: Signs That You've Bought Bad Petrol by Piyke: 10:34am On Nov 14, 2014
Another sign I noticed, is fluctuating idle speeds. I was surprised how this vanished with new and good fuel

(1) (Reply)

My Car moves Reluctantly When Climbing Please Help / GoPro Ride Alongs / BMW Authority / Plz I Need Urgent Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.