Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened (1798 Views)

Indicators Of Bad Ignition Coil Symptoms For Vehicles / Car Key Stuck To Ignition (honda Civic 2001) / My Car Key Won't Enter Ignition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by iiiyyyk(m): 7:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
About few weeks ago, i droped my car with my mechanic, came back in the evening to pick the car, only for the apprentice to start searching every were for the key. the key was not found and unfortunately, i have just that single key. several sugestions were given, but finally, we losed the ignition switch from the steering, took it to a look smith who cut out a new key. I have used the new key for few days now.

The car is 1996 toyota camry V6 xle.

Today, i packed the car infront of my office in the morning, came out in the afternoon to start the car, but car couldn't start. initially the dash board lights up but engine couldn't start. after few trials, i called the mechanic, he tried and car did not start, he said the ignition switch is bad and it will be dismantled again tomorow.
this evening i tried it again, even the dash board lights couldn't come up. the ignition swtch is just going free wheel.

please house what should I do?
should i change the ignition switch and key, that means i will be carrying two keys, one for ignition and one for doors.
Im just confused, need to travel whith that car on monday....

please i need advice from car gurus and locksmiths in the house.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by tempex88(m): 7:58pm On Nov 14, 2014
Its smallthing. Let dem re-set the ignition for you. The teeths in the iginition would be adjusted to suit d key you have.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by iiiyyyk(m): 8:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
Ok thanks,
but if the reset is done, wont it become a recurrent issue?

pls has any done such ignition reset.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by mayor2013: 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2014
tempex88:
Its smallthing. Let dem re-set the ignition for you. The teeths in the iginition would be adjusted to suit d key you have.

What kind of resetting are you talking about pardon my ignorance but I need to learn. Shouldn't your car be in the factory installed way. That key does not have a transponder chip for a 1996 camry so the issue of programming or not is ruled out. @ "op" here is it try recutting another key. This time around your ignition cylinder would be used to get the shape right. If this does not work am looking @ situation where your ignition cylinder was damaged.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by tempex88(m): 9:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
mayor2013:

What kind of resetting are you talking about pardon my ignorance but I need to learn. Shouldn't your car be in the factory installed way. That key does not have a transponder chip for a 1996 camry so the issue of programming or not is ruled out. @ "op" here is it try recutting another key. This time around your ignition cylinder would be used to get the shape right. If this does not work am looking @ situation where your ignition cylinder was
damaged.

Whatucall cylinder,dat slot where u insert the keyhas teeths that can be adjusted to work with any key.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
iiiyyyk:
About few weeks ago, i droped my car with my mechanic, came back in the evening to pick the car, only for the apprentice to start searching every were for the key. the key was not found and unfortunately, i have just that single key. several sugestions were given, but finally, we losed the ignition switch from the steering, took it to a look smith who cut out a new key. I have used the new key for few days now.

The car is 1996 toyota camry V6 xle.

Today, i packed the car infront of my office in the morning, came out in the afternoon to start the car, but car couldn't start. initially the dash board lights up but engine couldn't start. after few trials, i called the mechanic, he tried and car did not start, he said the ignition switch is bad and it will be dismantled again tomorow.
this evening i tried it again, even the dash board lights couldn't come up. the ignition swtch is just going free wheel.

please house what should I do?
should i change the ignition switch and key, that means i will be carrying two keys, one for ignition and one for doors.
Im just confused, need to travel whith that car on monday....

please i need advice from car gurus and locksmiths in the house.

Patience and 4minutes glue and all will be well.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by iiiyyyk(m): 10:09pm On Nov 14, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

pls i don't understand what u mean here....

can u xplain better. thanks
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by Kashif(m): 10:13pm On Nov 14, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Interesting...

1 Like

Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by iiiyyyk(m): 10:15pm On Nov 14, 2014
tempex88:

Whatucall cylinder,dat slot where u insert the keyhas teeths that can be adjusted to work with any key.

is it a lock smith that will do that or any other kind of technician?
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by tempex88(m): 10:59pm On Nov 14, 2014
iiiyyyk:

is it a lock smith that will do that or any other kind of technician?

I don't knw what dey call dem. They are notlock smith. The guy dat I knw dat does it comes from ladipo.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:21am On Nov 15, 2014
iiiyyyk:

pls i don't understand what u mean here....

can u xplain better. thanks
You do not have a problem with this side
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHrh12OEYsFQHMF5xYBk3QfYoyO24r97e08efpWRDC7m8ZuT0F[/img]

The problem you have is when you turn the key, electrical switch at the base does not turn in sync with the key,
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX6q6sR8DfFmKDuzKZBflkGKe9x4t83JxPkmSO90C1e6ADVk9Q5EqI16tg[/img]

Now you can buy the entire lock and (cylinder and electrical switch at base) or you can do what I did (considering if it didn't work I was going to buy the entire thing anyway) I noticed the center of the plastic switch was worn out so the turn on the key had no effect on the switch. look carefully at the center (black), so what I did was buy 4 minute glue, poured in the center (that black part) and coupled the entire thing quickly before the glue set, left it to dry for about 30mins, when I came back it worked like a charm grin. The glue was used to form a new cast to the worn out part and for over a year car works fine.
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by mayor2013: 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2014
tempex88:

I hope you do not try this on other contemporary cars. You might not like the end result
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
mayor2013:

I hope you do not try this on other contemporary cars. You might not like the end result

OP, pls try it and tell us your experience. We wish to learn from you grin
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by mayor2013: 6:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
lomomike:

OP, pls try it and tell us your experience. We wish to learn from you grin
grin
Re: Help! Can't Start My Car Again. Bad Ignition How It Happened by AutosBay(m): 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
@ Op Please follow this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSE0fOrujW0

(1) (Reply)

The 2016 Mercedes-benz-glc-coupeĢ Picture Review / Honda Discussion Continue For Sale In Badore Ajah (clean Nigeria Use)pics / Toyota Corolla 2004 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.