Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,147 members, 7,849,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:05 AM

What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man (2058 Views)

Entrepreneur And Entrepreneurship, The Who And The What. A TERM PAPER / NOUN 100 Level Entrepreneur And Business Management / Business Man Demolishes New Era Primary School In Okpanam, Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man by Gizmo(f): 6:15pm On Nov 15, 2014
Hi All,

I have been a member since 2007. I remember the exciting and educating topics i would read on this platform. I am back hopefully as an active member. An active member in the sense that i would share my learnings and hope to learn from your experiences and learnings too.

Today, I was part of the Global Entrepreneurship Walk organized by EDC and Pan-Atlantic University. During this walk, i happened to be chatting to a new friend. We were sharing case studies of what is what like to be an Entrepreneur. In that breadth, another friend walked up and joined the conversation. His question was what is the difference between and Entrepreneur and a Business Man.

From my experiences as a Social Entrepreneur. I will make an attempt to define these two titles. The Entrepreneur is a person who has ventures following a goal. Meaning Ade had an idea, he decides to pursue and in that light it made tonnes of money while these ventures sustainable or institutionalized. This is just an example.

The Business man on the other hand, is a person who has the goal solely for making money and and therefore looks for any and everything that can bring money.

For a wider enlightenment on this topic, i have culled an article from the web. Enjoy your learning. Share your opinions too.

CULLED FROM: http://www.cfagbata.com/difference-between-an-entrepreneur-and-a-business-owner/

An entrepreneur is an innovative business leader who identifies a business opportunity, pulls resources to exploit that opportunity and who stays abreast with market trends in order to provide the best possible product or service for the market. That is my perspective anyway and not everyone would share that view. So going by that definition I don’t expect a shop owner who sells provisions to be called an entrepreneur but a blogger who blogs about water sports can rightly be called an entrepreneur because he is providing a service that serves a particular market, a solution to their problem. I choose to state things this way for the following reasons;

An entrepreneur sees problems first then finds a solution that will serve a particular group of people (niche) which is how they identify opportunities unlike the ordinary business man who wants to own a business in order to make profit (money). So by what they are motivated by we could say entrepreneurs are problem solvers although they may also make money by the side whereas business owners most likely are after the money.
Entrepreneurs usually have an active stake in the business they form.

For instance Steve Jobs, co-founder of apple wasn’t just a shareholder or investor in the business he was the business’ main manager, overseeing the day to day affairs of the business. He worked tirelessly to overcome the challenges that faced the business and also create opportunities wherever they existed.

I heard some people say Jobs wasn’t really a genius as much as the world was led to believe maybe in terms of technical prowess but certainly as a sales man and an effective market analyst Jobs is probably one of the finest marketers the world has ever known and bottom line whatever business he founded, he was an active force in it, whereas your typical business owner may only be after who gets employed and where but may not be totally committed to running the business as long as the profit keeps coming, I liken them to investors but Jobs proved to be an entrepreneur at heart.
To the entrepreneur their business legacy is their life.

When Steve Jobs was fired from apple he wasn’t depressed because he had lost his job but rather that something he had worked for tirelessly would be taken over by other people he felt knew less about it than himself. He wanted his lifelong dream to be realized even if he had to lose his job for it but certainly not when you lose both ways (the dream is taken over and dies, the dreamer loses control over his dream) that explains why jobs agreed to return to apple even after he had successfully created two other multi-million dollar companies that also made him wealthy and world famous.

I wonder how Bill gates would feel like if Microsoft went belly up but with all his billions still with him. He wouldn’t complain of losing his control of the market, rather that his lifelong dream has disappeared. For a business owner as long as the profits remain even if the business is sold or taken over all is fine. Entrepreneurs are simply insane people.

Share your views. Thank you.

Re: What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man by kinibd(m): 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2014
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man by wierdpsycho: 6:19pm On Nov 15, 2014
A business man is basically involved in the buying and selling of good, and nothing more..... while the entrepreneur engages in marketing, strategizing, packaging, rebranding etc
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
Gizmo:
Hi All,

I have been a member since 2007. I remember the exciting and educating topics i would read on this platform. I am back hopefully as an active member. An active member in the sense that i would share my learnings and hope to learn from your experiences and learnings too.

Today, I was part of the Global Entrepreneurship Walk organised by EDC and Pan-Atlantic University. During this walk, i happened to be chatting to a new friend. We were sharing case studies of what is what like to be an Entrepreneur. In that breadth, another friend walked up and joined the conversation. His question was what is the difference between and Entrepreneur and a Business Man.

A business man has no new business idea, all he cares is buying, selling and profit. An entrepreneur is mostly a visioner and pioneer of an idea; it could be a new idea or a hybrid idea. But his main goal is: developing the idea and making it outlive him or her. The idea could be for profit or not for profit as is with NGOs.
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Entrepreneur And A Business Man by Oludiran2: 11:37am On Feb 02, 2015
Looking for a good alternative to pan Atlantic university, then click www.ciaps.org. Weekend classes also available.

Internships/internship
We have partnered with over twenty organisations to provide essential work placements for our students, in order to ensure each learner has a variety of opportunities to combine the theoretical components of the classroom with the practical elements of the work place.
For weekend classes: www.ciaps.org

Closely Related Queries:
lagos business school,lagos business school fees,lagos business school courses,business administration,business schools in lagos,business school in lagos,gmat,mba,business administration,schools in lagos,private schools in lagos,wharton business school,warwick business school,ie business school,a business degree,online mba,online mba programs,columbia business school,esut business school,insead mba,business school netherlands,gmat test,mba courses,international school lagos,international school in lagos,havard business school,mba jobs,masters in business administration,henley business school,what is mba,business school,london business school mba,business schools,online business degree,lagos university,mba scholarships,hult business school,lagos business school mba,harvard business school executive education,wharton executive education,business programs,lagos business school nigeria,harvard executive education,edhec business school,lagos business school address,business administration degree,mba rankings,insead business school.

(1) (Reply)

How To Calculate Delsu Post Utme Aggregate – 2015/16 / How Can Polytechnic Be Equal To University? (LASPOTECH As Case Study)- Pictures / BREAKING!!! ASUU Announces Date For Commencement Of Nationwide Strike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.