Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know (13576 Views)

Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop / Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by mayorde(m): 2:20pm On Nov 25, 2008
i just want to know if this blue chip companies discriminate againts Part Time Bsc Holders i.e those without NYSC certificate. u information will relly go a long way to help. thanks
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by mayorde(m): 11:16am On Nov 27, 2008
hi
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by mayorde(m): 1:08pm On Jul 18, 2009
I have asked this question a long time but didnt bother to find answers cos i gained admission to OOU but the faculty did not accept me cos i didnt have the O level requirements to study Accounting( i applied for DE with my ATS-ICAN and i use to be a science student).

Now i Need Answers please. i have my PE 1 in ICAN and thinkin of putting in for DLI after my ACA. pls Bros in the house i need ur guidance/inputs/opinions/suggestion everything. thanks.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 18, 2009
Why don't you do the part time program, and try running it at the same time as a full time university programme?
I knew people who were doing Hnd and Bsc in my class, at the same time,
At the end you get 2 degrees,
Focus on your goals, forget about if people will discriminate or not.

Cheers
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by showbobo(m): 4:04pm On Jul 18, 2009
Yes They Do,
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by AloyEmeka9: 6:40pm On Jul 18, 2009
Do they write part time in their certificates?
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by showbobo(m): 10:52pm On Jul 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Yeah
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by douecho: 2:16am On Jul 19, 2009
I know that UBA doesnt employ pple wiv part time certificates for some positions.even if the candidate has the degree in the required field.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by feasy1(m): 7:03am On Jul 19, 2009
Just wondering, does the certificate reads the study was on part time
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Epiphany(m): 10:05am On Jul 19, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I dont know about local schools, but i asked someone in the UK this question when i was contemplating studying for an MBA part time and he said that most of their schools DO NOT WRITE 'PART-TIME' ON THE CERTIFICATES. The certificates they issue are exactly the same ones they will give to the full time students.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by feasy1(m): 10:40am On Jul 19, 2009
Sure, the UK Schools nor elsewhere in Europe will never write such on the certificate, I doubt if that is obtainable in naija either
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by baslone: 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2009
They don't in Nigeria too but you can't get an
opportunity to serve plus it takes a long while
before you get your certificates.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by tommyex(m): 7:04pm On Jul 19, 2009
they do not put part time on certificates in Nigeria, so if you can survivie the interview without them knowing no problem, but der is a limit to the job u desire, as no NYSC means fewer oppurtunities
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 19, 2009
u can still graduate and fine ur name on the sheet for NYSC or bribe ur way through. But with some of kind of rare skills, no desperate employer asks. I wasn't asked of my O'level sef. I work with computers.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by slimslim: 9:53am On Jul 20, 2009
NYSC do give exemption certificate to part-time graduates, though it normally does not come immediately. Most organisations still consider exemption certificates. I don't think part-time is written on certificate anywhere.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by tunnytox(m): 11:31am On Jul 20, 2009
Someone told me that NYSC does not issue exemption certificates for part time graduates, pls can someone tell me how far that is true. I finished my Bsc in OOU about 4 years ago but soon left for the UK, which means I have not really used my certificate to seek for employment in Nigeria. I have a friend who is in this same situation, he has just concluded a Master program in one of the UK universities, he is planning to come back to Nigeria to seek for work but ppl are advising him that since he studied for his degree on part time and without the NYSC cert he may find it difficult to get employed.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Marymos: 12:37pm On Jul 20, 2009
If they wont write part time on ur certificate,then u dont need to border ursef.All u need do is to distinguish ursef by knowing all that is involve in ur Field of study to make u a guru.All the best.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Nezan(m): 1:09pm On Jul 20, 2009
Marymos:

If they wont write part time on ur certificate,then u dont need to border ursef.All u need do is to distinguish ursef by knowing all that is involve in ur Field of study to make u a guru.All the best.
I think so too
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by beknown(m): 1:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
Employers who discriminate against part-time graduates are not worth to be called employers in the real sense of the word.

Good employers know that the world does not stand still. unlike Nigeria, development is at a fast pace all over the world. Advancement means that the methods of study (full time, part time and distance learning) is irrelevant.

Universities and colleges abroad attach the same recognition to their own qualifications regardless of the method of study. Also, employers abroad give the same recognition to qualifications regardless of the method of study.

It is very sad that real advancement is lacking in many facets of Nigeria society.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Redfox(m): 1:29pm On Jul 20, 2009
Yes they do
Not having the NYSC discharge is indeed a stumbling block to your career ascension in this naija.believe me,you just have to be ready for discrimination if you intend to go in for part time in your first degree.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by mafolayomi(f): 2:18pm On Jul 20, 2009
i learnt LASU does not indicate part time on their certs, while LAG does that. not too sure anyway
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by peelovee(f): 2:50pm On Jul 20, 2009
beknown:

Employers who discriminate against part-time graduates are not worth to be called employers in the real sense of the word.

Good employers know that the world does not stand still. unlike Nigeria, development is at a fast pace all over the world. Advancement means that the methods of study (full time, part time and distance learning) is irrelevant.

Universities and colleges abroad attach the same recognition to their own qualifications regardless of the method of study. Also, employers abroad give the same recognition to qualifications regardless of the method of study.

It is very sad that real advancement is lacking in many facets of Nigeria society.

grin WORD grin
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Beline(f): 5:46pm On Jul 20, 2009
mafolayomi:

i learnt LASU does not indicate part time on their certs, while LAG does that. not too sure anyway

exactly
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by mrperfect(m): 6:51pm On Jul 20, 2009
No I have not heard of such.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by baslone: 7:48pm On Jul 20, 2009
LASU does not write part time on their certificates, neither
do they send names to NYSC for service. NYSC does not give
exemptions to part time graduates. The only way to serve or
get an exemption is to pass through the back-door. Don't let
anyone deceive you.

Also, 98% Nigerian employers believe in your papers "Not What You Can Do".

1 Like

Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by sababass: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
yes there is
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by toideve(m): 10:08am On Jul 21, 2009
uniben does not write on their certificates
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by call4shola(m): 10:24am On Jul 21, 2009
If your friend is up to 30 years of age, he/she has the opportunity to get exemption cert, send me a mail on regulating2003@yahoo.com, would be glad to help out. Later.

tunnytox:

Someone told me that NYSC does not issue exemption certificates for part time graduates, pls can someone tell me how far that is true. I finished my Bsc in OOU about 4 years ago but soon left for the UK, which means I have not really used my certificate to seek for employment in Nigeria. I have a friend who is in this same situation, he has just concluded a Master program in one of the UK universities, he is planning to come back to Nigeria to seek for work but ppl are advising him that since he studied for his degree on part time and without the NYSC cert he may find it difficult to get employed.
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Maryam: 10:40am On Jul 21, 2009
Lasu issues the same certificate to both Part-time & full-time candidates

Unilag includes distant learning on the Part-time certificate

i really do not know if they discriminate against the certificates with part-time written on it
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by Nezan(m): 10:48am On Jul 21, 2009
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by wendoworld(m): 1:30pm On Jul 22, 2009
na wa oooo, for where this country dey go i never see, dem go come dey tell us about rebranding and dem dey discriminate their own naija certificate because of part time wey dem dey write ontop i mean it`s stupid when person go dey yankee read finish come naija come serve, but you wey dey naija read no go get the chance serve because of part time wey dey ontop palee , e no make sence at all angry
Re: Is There Discrimination Against Part Time Graduates? I Need To Know by omokafe(m): 5:06pm On Jul 22, 2009
please nairalanders let d experienced member say something am also interested .All i know is that even though u don't serve u would be given and exception certificate of nysc

(1) (2) (Reply)

African Development Bank (AFDB) Job Recruitment 2017 (15 Positions) / Apply For The Drury Industries Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (30 Positions) / Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.