Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume (21428 Views)

How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume / How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview / Format Of A Nigerian Resume (CV) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 17, 2014
One of the most neglected parts of a resume is “Hobbies” it is usually located before the reference. Experience and observation have shown that graduates don’t understand what a hobby is or that they don’t know how to apply it in their resume or curriculum vitae.

Like other section in a resume, hobby has a crucial part as it helps to create a spider web link to one of the sections in a resume most specially the skills and ability section.
Hobby section deserves the same time devoted when writing other section. Many resume as failed because of this section. The question is how?

1. Your hobby above other things, tell your recruiter more about your social life.
2. What you do when you’re not working
3. How you manage your time
4. How you use your skills and ability in an informal settings
5. Your availability for team work.

With this 5 point, you can see a gap in your resume when you neglect the place of hobby.
No recruiters would want to employ a robot as employee. Hobby gives your recruiter a clearer picture of you. One of the benefit of hobby in a resume is that is can create an atmosphere for discussion with your recruiters during the job interview.
Now that you know the important of hobby, you should be careful not to lie or list all the hobbies you can think of. Three to four is enough. You might want to ask why.

If you list all the hobbies you can think about, then your recruiter might be force to think that you might never have time to do any formal work outside the work environment.
So what are you waiting for, start editing your resume if you have one already.
And remember, except you are writing a general resume (fresh graduate), try to tailor your hobby to match your job specification and not just that, make sure there is a linking or connection with your skills and ability or other section in the resume.
Example
If you write internet research as one of your skills then there should be reading or writing in your hobby... there is a link between internet research and writing/reading. This is just a sample. There can be other things which can link each other in a resume apart from the example above and below.
Creative thinking can link chess/Sudoku/scrabble game

http://gradslodge..com/2014/11/how-hobbies-can-make-you-have-bad-resume_16.html?m=0

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by EagleScribes: 2:40pm On Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the info

How many hobbies cab one add to his CV/resume?

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by koolet: 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
dont mind the o.p if your hobby is a bad one, Lie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Lordkedd(m): 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
Good one @op... Tnxx...
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by dstnd: 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
listening to music....terry G...my hobby

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
True that. While applying for the financial analyst position in my current place of work, I included on my resume that I love playing scrabble, chess and reading books. The main interviewer who happens to be a big chess fan noticed it and started questioning me on it. Asked me why I love playing chess and some other basic questions about the game. I don't know what rubbish I was saying but he seemed to be really impressed because I saw him smiling for the first time during the interview.

After getting the job, I advised all my friends to pay more attention to the hobby aspect of their Cv. My friend who fancies ludo like crazy did the same by writing playing ludo and draught as his hobby on his CV. We don't know what is wrong but he is still at home looking for a job up till this moment despite the fact that he made 2.1 in school. cry

FriedPlantain

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by lonelydora: 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
Serious?

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by pekeyim: 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
wow i'll check it out.
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by tiamiyukunle69(m): 2:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
Makes sense. Eye opener for guys
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by kennosklint(m): 2:44pm On Feb 19, 2015
ok.com take one bottle of origin make u de see front wella

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by bjayx: 2:44pm On Feb 19, 2015
hobbies ar things u do to relax ur mind n body....so wats my employers business except we share some similarities. Naija wit bullish employers since date was discovered.
Dat recruitment up up there....na scam...walahi.
wat kinda firm dont av a name and needs all kind of certificate holders..it must be GLND.

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 19, 2015
Nice
I think mine is........ tongue
I remember failing an interview because I love Crime/Detective Novels...hahaha
__I also remember passing one because I play chess. So, I agree with you. wink

The problem is, Nairalanders keep clamouring for CHANGE, now this is thread that would help (potential) job-seekers tailor their CV properly. They won't comment.

On the flip side, "does a girl need big bosoms to look good?" ___ 17pages...Holy Grail shocked

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by PrinceAkbabio(m): 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
Ppl r nt intrested in dz thread because its nt about apc/pdp

1 Like

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Analysiscorner: 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
ON POINT, MY DEAR!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INSIGHT!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by toluwaniyahoo(f): 2:46pm On Feb 19, 2015
Yeah this is noted but op can l add sleeping as one of my hobbies
Nice write up. thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by bobchigar(m): 2:46pm On Feb 19, 2015
Nice
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by Ogbuefienubiaka: 2:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
How you write your CV do not count and I must say this. Employers look out for competent staff that can fill in gaps and in Nija who know who also matter. I have seen where CV are drawn by people that want to employe them.
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by XtraSmooth404: 2:54pm On Feb 19, 2015
hobby; making friends and travelling cheesy
I have seen this like a thousand times
Re: How Hobbies Can Make You Have A Bad Resume by 360musicng(m): 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
me wey my hobby be blogging nko?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shoprite Vacancy @ Delta Mall, Warri. / ''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / How Genuine Is BRIMSTONE GLOBAL SOLUTIONS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.