Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,311 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' (949 Views)

Rejection Letter From Harvard University To An Intending Student (Photo) / Disturbing News From Harvard University. / Does Any One Know What Client Profiling Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by zboyd: 4:27am On Nov 18, 2014
New York (AFP) - A nonprofit group filed a lawsuit Monday against Harvard University, accusing the world-famous Ivy League institution of racial profiling in its admissions policies.

Students for Fair Admissions says Harvard limits the number of Asian Americans it admits while giving preference to other races, according to the Project on Fair Representation (PFR), a legal defense fund supporting the lawsuit.

"The university is engaging in a campaign of invidious discrimination," PFR said in a statement.

"White, African American and Hispanic applicants are given racial preferences over better qualified Asian Americans," it added, accusing Harvard of breaching civil rights laws and undermining the Fourteenth Amendment to the US constitution.

Plaintiff the SFFA alleges that Harvard and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill violated the Supreme Court's 2013 ruling on "strict scrutiny" standards which says admissions should be conducted on "race-neutral" grounds to end "race-based affirmative action policies," according to the PFR statement.

The director of PFR vowed further action on race-based admissions policies at other universities in the United States.

"These two lawsuits are the first of what are expected to be several similar challenges to other competitive colleges that continue to unconstitutionally use racial preferences in admission decisions," said Edward Blum.

SFFA said its members include "highly qualified" students that have been rejected from Harvard and Chapel Hill, and their parents.

Source: yahoo.com
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by RENOWNED2(m): 6:00am On Nov 18, 2014
My lower abdomen feels funny..............what do i do
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Nobody: 6:04am On Nov 18, 2014
- Non profit group decides to sue Harvard over what it describes as racial profiling against prospective Asian students.
- Group lists that other North American minority groups receive special preference over Asian students.
- Same group mentions after lawsuit against Harvard, would checkmate the same policy existing in other North American schools.
- Group highlights that its members are comprised of highly qualified students who were rejected from applying to Ivy league colleges including Harvard.

The problem I've with this lawsuit is that the school is right in its stance of rejecting Asians.
Harvard has a reputation of creating all-round students, i.e. they excel in education, hobbies, are creative and can socially interact with peers. Out of all the mentioned features Asian students excel only at book-smarts because Asian parents pay high attention to intelligence and nothing else.
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 18, 2014
RENOWNED2:
My lower abdomen feels funny..............what do i do
laugh till it bursts open...
Thank me later
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by AceOfDiamonds(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2014
Take them to another school simple!
If you feel a school doesn't suit you,you look for another..
I think the school authorities reserve the right to how they admit their students undecided
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 18, 2014
They don't want chinko in their school angry
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 18, 2014
Make harvard dey careful o, before the chinkos clone them.. grin.
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Profcamsey(m): 8:35am On Nov 18, 2014
Space bookers are liable to grow old
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
don't mind them my fellow chinkoians, university of maiduguri is inviting u suitable chinkoians for admission that could lead up awarding of degree in the following faculty
faculty of bomb making
faculty of terrorism
faculty of corruption
faculty of embezzment
good luck with ur choice of faculty
signed
registar
patience ebele jonathan
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Boyoboy9(m): 12:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
Just da observe
Re: Harvard Sued Over 'Racial Profiling' by Mystery007(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ok

(1) (Reply)

University Wahala. Nairalanders Come To My Rescue!!!! / IBM Datapower Training - Free Demo / Screening Of Post-utme Candidates For Admission Into The University Of Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.