Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish (817 Views)

1st Female Mechanic Sandra Aguebor Begins After School Program To Teach Girls / Learn The Secret Of Getting A Job That Jobberman Will Not Teach You. / If You Are Starving For Success What Are You Doing To Feed Your Hunger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish by t6travels: 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
You've heard this old saying before: give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. You may even be nodding your head in agreement right now. Sorry— this saying is all wrong.

When a person is starving, that's not the time to fill their head with knowledge. The right thing to do is to first give the person a fish - banishing their hunger - and only then teach them to fish.

Far too often, people ignore this common sense first step. They see someone who is struggling, and they rush to offer wisdom. "Let me tell you what I'd do in your position," a well-meaning individual might offer.

But few of us understand the anxiety, confusion, and uncertainty that comes with overwhelming need. People in the midst of personal disasters are reeling. They can't think straight. Their nerves may be shot. Their confidence may be non-existent.

We all know affluent, outwardly successful professionals who lack confidence and - at least temporarily - the ability to think straight. Can you imagine how people must feel in the midst of outright failure?

Rushing to offer a struggling person long-term advice is a waste of time.

Instead, it makes far more sense to help them regain their equilibrium. Once this happens... once their ears, heart and mind open, then you have an opportunity to teach a new skill.

What does it take to decide whether a person needs a fish before a fishing lesson? Two things:

1.) The ability to pay attention: Is the other person open and receptive, or looking at the world through narrowed eyes that tip off just how terrified they feel inside? You can't just take their words at face value, because claiming to be alright is a basic survival skill. You have to look at how the person acts and what they don't say.

2.) Empathy: The more successful you are, the harder it is to imagine what it must be like to be the opposite.

By the way, don't trust everything you read on the Internet, where the "give a man a fish" saying is attributed to everyone except my Uncle Nathan
Re: Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
K
Re: Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish by sholly28(m): 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
Nice one, ose ooo
Re: Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish by iamskiigii(m): 9:16pm On Nov 20, 2014
Am I wrong?
Re: Do NOT Teach A Starving Man To Fish by t6travels: 9:00am On Nov 25, 2014
iamskiigii:
Am I wrong?

nope your not
www.t6travels.com

(1) (Reply)

Five Types Of Weird Lawyers You Will Meet In The Court Room / Latest Stanbic IBTC Job Vacancies (deadline 14 March, 2015) / Beware! Chemicals In Nail Products Are Known To Cause Cancer And Miscariage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.