Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,054 members, 7,956,938 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 (2697 Views)

Lady Kofo-ademola 1st Black Woman To Receive A Degree From Oxford University:pic / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Oxford Dictionaries Adds ‘hot Mess,’ ‘side boob, ‘throw Shade And More To dictio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by alienvirus: 5:52am On Nov 19, 2014
“Vape”, the act of inhaling and exhaling chemical vapors from electronic cigarettes, has been named the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) “word of the year”, beating more than 150 million other words in the English language.

The term beat a number of new phrases that have entered the English lexicon since the beginning of this year, including “bae”, a term rooted in American hip-hop language, and “slacktivism”, referring to internet social campaigns such as the ice bucket challenge.

READ MORE :E-Cigarettes could save thousands of lives, experts say

According to OED staff, words are chosen each year “to reflect the ethos, mood, or preoccupations of that particular year and to have lasting potential as a word of cultural significance.”

“A gap emerged in the lexicon, as a word was needed to describe this activity, and distinguish it from ‘smoking’,” the OED said.

“As vaping has gone mainstream, with celebrities from Lindsay Lohan to Barry Manilow giving it a go, and with growing public debate on the public dangers and the need for regulation, so the language usage of the word ‘vape’ and related terms in 2014 has shown a marked increase.”

The words selected often have a significant cultural or societal meaning, and reflect the changing nature of human society. Increasingly, many of the words selected reflect advances in technology and internet culture, as social media becomes a prominent medium of human interaction.

Previous winners of the OED’s contest include the words “chav”, “squeezed middle” and “selfie”.

“Vape” also signifies the growing popularity of electronic cigarettes and vapors. The devices were originally touted as medicinal tools used to help smokers wean off their habit, and were a preferable – and trendier – alternative to nicotine patches and gum.

READ MORE:No ifs, no butts: UK's £100m e-cigarette industry up in smoke?

The rapidly expanding e-cig industry is already estimated to be worth around £1.76 billion globally. While some doctors say the move from tobacco to e-cigs could save up to 54,000 lives a year, other institutions including the World Health Organization (WHO) claim the devices contain harmful chemical toxins that could harm users and those around them.

Earlier this year, the WHO set out recommendations to prohibit their use in public spaces.
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by leonard509(m): 5:53am On Nov 19, 2014
Jic
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by alienvirus: 6:00am On Nov 19, 2014
leonard509:
Jic
JiC? Stop vaping on my thread. SMDH. shocked
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Mrval20(m): 6:20am On Nov 19, 2014
Does vaping the vapours of a cig make you a VIP?smiley

1 Like

Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by PROCTOR: 6:26am On Nov 19, 2014
Space booked,
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by kenny091(m): 6:43am On Nov 19, 2014
vaping and napping on this thread
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by frodobee: 7:08am On Nov 19, 2014
Did Patrick Obahiaogbon contribute any new word to OED this year, am curious I ve stayed too long in France.

2 Likes

Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2014
What the heck is vaping?

Give me weed..
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by alienvirus: 7:20am On Nov 19, 2014
That is the meaning. Vaping means smoking weed.
Slonge2:
What the heck is vaping?

Give me weed..
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Isaactop9(m): 7:48am On Nov 19, 2014
alienvirus:
That is the meaning. Vaping means smoking weed.
hey bro pls reduce your weed vaping
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by alienvirus: 7:50am On Nov 19, 2014
Tell that to Seun
Isaactop9:
hey bro pls reduce your weed vaping
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by iamrealdeji(m): 8:13am On Nov 19, 2014
alienvirus:
“Vape”, the act of inhaling and exhaling chemical vapors from electronic cigarettes, has been named the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) “word of the year”, beating more than 150 million other words in the English language.

The term beat a number of new phrases that have entered the English lexicon since the beginning of this year, including “bae”, a term rooted in American hip-hop language, and “slacktivism”, referring to internet social campaigns such as the ice bucket challenge.

READ MORE :E-Cigarettes could save thousands of lives, experts say

According to OED staff, words are chosen each year “to reflect the ethos, mood, or preoccupations of that particular year and to have lasting potential as a word of cultural significance.”

“A gap emerged in the lexicon, as a word was needed to describe this activity, and distinguish it from ‘smoking’,” the OED said.

“As vaping has gone mainstream, with celebrities from Lindsay Lohan to Barry Manilow giving it a go, and with growing public debate on the public dangers and the need for regulation, so the language usage of the word ‘vape’ and related terms in 2014 has shown a marked increase.”

The words selected often have a significant cultural or societal meaning, and reflect the changing nature of human society. Increasingly, many of the words selected reflect advances in technology and internet culture, as social media becomes a prominent medium of human interaction.

Previous winners of the OED’s contest include the words “chav”, “squeezed middle” and “selfie”.

“Vape” also signifies the growing popularity of electronic cigarettes and vapors. The devices were originally touted as medicinal tools used to help smokers wean off their habit, and were a preferable – and trendier – alternative to nicotine patches and gum.

READ MORE:No ifs, no butts: UK's £100m e-cigarette industry up in smoke?

The rapidly expanding e-cig industry is already estimated to be worth around £1.76 billion globally. While some doctors say the move from tobacco to e-cigs could save up to 54,000 lives a year, other institutions including the World Health Organization (WHO) claim the devices contain harmful chemical toxins that could harm users and those around them.

Earlier this year, the WHO set out recommendations to prohibit their use in public spaces.
What about Fanute? A new word found by French Montana which means to step something up,they better add it up to oxford dictionary on time cos everybody is saying Fanute Fanute
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by herald9: 8:29am On Nov 19, 2014
iamrealdeji:

What about Fanute? A new word found by French Montana which means to step something up,they better add it up to oxford dictionary on time cos everybody is saying Fanute Fanute

Niqqa you funny....

what's fanute... are you Sure you heard him well....or you were busy vaping undecided
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by iamrealdeji(m): 8:35am On Nov 19, 2014
herald9:

Niqqa you funny....

what's fanute... are you Sure you heard him well....or you were busy vaping undecided
Because you're not current,in "stay scheming",he said "From the Hoopty coupe to the ghost dawg" and people thought he said "Fanute the coup to the ghost dawg" due to the way he flows lazily,and since then everybody started saying Fanute on twitter and complex magazine even went to interview him because of that,and he wasn't even aware,they had him check twitter and he saw everybody saying it
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by kelechiMarie(f): 8:40am On Nov 19, 2014
vaping ,weed what's the diff anyway you're inhaling something shakisskiss
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by herald9: 8:42am On Nov 19, 2014
iamrealdeji:

Because you're not current,in "stay scheming",he said "From the Hoopty coupe to the ghost dawg" and people thought he said "Fanute the coup to the ghost dawg" due to the way he flows lazily,and since then everybody started saying Fanute on twitter and complex magazine even went to interview him because of that,and he wasn't even aware,they had him check twitter and he saw everybody saying it

From hooptie coupe to the Ghost dawg
Pigeons on the roof like ghost dawg
Dwight Howard on the post dawg
My niggas got the powder through the post dawg
Watch the body tilt when you hit the head
Niggas lost mills tryna beat the feds…

Where do you see fanute there...

one advice: STOP VAPINGcheesy

1 Like

Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by iamrealdeji(m): 9:01am On Nov 19, 2014
herald9:

From hooptie coupe to the Ghost dawg
Pigeons on the roof like ghost dawg
Dwight Howard on the post dawg
My niggas got the powder through the post dawg
Watch the body tilt when you hit the head
Niggas lost mills tryna beat the feds…

Where do you see fanute there...

one advice: STOP VAPINGcheesy
You're talking to a number one French Montana fan,google Fanute and see what it'll bring out,i didn't say fanute was there,people mistook From the hooptie coupe for Fanute the coupe,dont get me wrong
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by herald9: 9:55am On Nov 19, 2014
iamrealdeji:

You're talking to a number one French Montana fan,google Fanute and see what it'll bring out,i didn't say fanute was there,people mistook From the hooptie coupe for Fanute the coupe,dont get me wrong

So French Montana got fansshockedshocked

What do you learn from his lyrics?
dude got no wordplay
no metaphor
he only trump in senseless words just to create rhymes..

I'll prefer 2chainz to him any time any day...

I was right after all when I said you were Vapinggrin
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by ignis: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2014
The Lord is my shepherd, I cannot be vaped.
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by stuff46(m): 10:42am On Nov 19, 2014
ignis:
The Lord is my shepherd, I cannot be vaped.
lol
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by dew1: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hello Gurus in the house,
There is this Facebook campaign group for my
boss, a guber aspirant with over 13,000 members.
The 'Judas' whom we trusted as to allow create
the group has been compromised. He suddenly
stripped off all the group's Admin: I, my boss, our
campaign Org's DG and that of a party Chieftain,
leaving himself as the sole Admin. Just last week,
he went further to ban all the aforementioned
from the group.
Now, all he & his fellow ingrates of a team does
is character assassination, spreading lies & false
propaganda, and all sorry of falsehood &insults to
the person of my boss. He deletes and ban any
member who posts anything positive, counter his
lies and/or ask questions on why his sudden u-
turn.
My Boss, the guber aspirant is this kind of 'God
knows best' humble and peace loving kinda
person so he vehemently dismissed the idea of
taken legal action when we have every proof to
sue 'Mr Judas' Bottom for libel, slander and
defamation of character.
So pls if there is anyone who can re-hijack and
restore back our admin rights or outrightly wipe
the group off Facebook, holla so we can negotiate
a deal pls. Or if there's anyone with a tool/
software that can achieve same, so i can know
how much you ate willing to sell it and tutor me
so I can go about it myself...Gracias Amigos!
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hmmmm..... angry
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by mikechibuzor(m): 3:36pm On Nov 19, 2014
*yawns*how does this change the fact that i'm lonely embarassed
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by iamrealdeji(m): 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2014
herald9:

So French Montana got fansshockedshocked

What do you learn from his lyrics?
dude got no wordplay
no metaphor
he only trump in senseless words just to create rhymes..

I'll prefer 2chainz to him any time any day...

I was right after all when I said you were Vapinggrin
French Montana is the next King of Newyork,hes the future of hiphop,go and listen to his past mixtapes,listen to Coke Boys 1,2,3,4 listen to his first mixtape,French Revolution before saying that
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by hawksford: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Johnfavour(m): 9:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
2 much vapers her. I am vaping FP
Re: Thank You For Vaping! Oxford English Dictionary Names ‘vape’ Its Word Of 2014 by Adeoba10(m): 8:30am On Nov 20, 2014
Na lie joor... Vaping for my secondary schl na to steal ur partner properties, like biro n pencil. e. g I don vape Salewa's pencil... but since oxford don talk say na to dey smoke weed indirectly, na dem come knw...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Msc Program Being Run By Jpts Genuine? / Prepare For The BECE Mathematics With These Five Easy Steps For FREE / 7 Most Used Words by Nigerians in 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.