Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! (3749 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Why Most Nigerians Go To Malaysia Instead Of Europe And America / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by eben5(m): 2:14am On Aug 09, 2006
ITS KIND OF COMMON TO MOST NIGERIANS ABROAD,WHENEVER THEY COME BACK HOME,THEY FELL TOO BIG TO THEIR MATE HERE IN NIGERIA, WELL THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH ME, BUT I THINK ITS BAD, SO U CAN ALSO SHARE UR EXPERIENCE, !! smiley smiley
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by LiquidMind(m): 2:35am On Aug 09, 2006
CAUSE LIGHT CAN ONLY SHINE IN DARKNESS
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by ZuluNation(m): 2:43am On Aug 09, 2006
What's the deal with all the capital letters, no point of screaming guys sad.

@ Topic,

I'm very careful when I'm in Nigeria, I don't hang out a lot, people think because you from America you flowing with dollars and you never know who the armed robbers are any more in Nigeria. Sad some people think you feeling to big.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Douzy(m): 3:26am On Aug 09, 2006
e-ben:

ITS KIND OF COMMON TO MOST NIGERIANS ABROAD,WHENEVER THEY COME BACK HOME,THEY FELL TOO BIG TO THEIR MATE HERE IN NIGERIA, WELL THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH ME, BUT I THINK ITS BAD, SO U CAN ALSO SHARE UR EXPERIENCE, !! smiley smiley

Actually, I'm yet to really notice this.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Eastcoast(f): 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2006
Maybe it is because some people at home start to lick the shoes of those that return thereby, making them to feel so kool and on a different level
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by DAMMYGLOW(f): 3:16pm On Aug 09, 2006
Yeah, i feel u
they are faking it
not all of them though
depends on the relationship u have with the person before they left the country
am not praising my self
but with my self carriage
absolutely no one can look down on me
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by naijadiva2(f): 3:57pm On Aug 09, 2006
@topic

that's not all true.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by iice(f): 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2006
Maybe because once people know you are from abroad, automatically they think you are rolling in dollars (can't even understand why they think that) Ahhh and for those who are susceptible to praises that makes their head swell. For others, they alrdy have the 'too big' mentality before ever leaving naija so its natural they want to shine when they go back. Once again not everyone is like that.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2006
maybe because you are trying to compete with them and you never meet up, that why you say they feel big.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Eastcoast(f): 6:10pm On Aug 09, 2006
@iice, i completely agree with you about some people already feeling to big b4 they left for abroad. Even around me, i see some nigerians and they still feel to big. To me, i'm always like, ah ah, you carried this mentality here again, ain't we in the same america?. And some times, i don't blame them coz back home, there parents are CEOs, ministers, governors etc.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Eastcoast(f): 6:11pm On Aug 09, 2006
having said that, i don't know understand why those at home, have so much hatred and jealousy for those abroad. undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Eastcoast(f): 6:28pm On Aug 09, 2006
i totally agree with you.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Oracle(m): 1:48am On Aug 10, 2006
Well i guess they feel big about going out and coming back and their friends are probably not in the same class anymore as they are
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by diddy4(m): 3:34am On Aug 10, 2006
well, i think what causes that is they feel like their level don change.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Oracle(m): 2:20am On Aug 12, 2006
thatz it Diddy it has to do with level, class
going out makes some people feel they're they've been upgrded
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by jaybaby(f): 9:43pm On Sep 21, 2006
Wat class- na 'em sabi

i'v nt noticed it' who cares 'who dey look UCHE face lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by chichimma(f): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2006
I have noticed it as well. Whenever, I am home many Nigerians want to show off or distinguish themselves from those that are living at home.This comes forth also because most people back home see them automatically as money bags and as some of you said kiss their asses well well! It is very annoying but then again most of the peeps you see are been discriminated, insulted and treated as nothing abroad so they can spend a short time feeling big or special at home.

I would not say it is the best thing to do but at the same time I can understand where it is coming from. That kind of attitude will not work for me because it is not my style If I see people behaving too big simply because they are living abroad (most of the time depressed over there) I do not give them my time! wink
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by ell77(f): 10:03pm On Nov 08, 2006
I have to agree with most of the posters who say it is because of the ass-lickers. Although to be honest I don't think that many act like they are better I think they are the minority, you may be mistaking the way Nigerian's treat them with the way the overseas crew are acting and be misreading things.

But for those who do act big it can be that they have always been cocky.

Also another reason is most of them bust their butts overseas and get no recognition - infact they are usually working in the most low paid and demeaning jobs. So when they come home and people automatically rush to them like they are golden eggs they can either be annoyed, flattered but humble or take advantage of the situation by stretching the truth and just enjoying all the attention and feeling that for once (i.e. one month in three years) they can feel like they are SOMEBODY. Don't take it to heart if u ever meet someone like that ok? Just concentrate on getting yours.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by esoneek(m): 1:28pm On Nov 09, 2006
i don dey jand now 3 weeks, i've been at london-victoria, leeds and now at sheffield.Though the place fine and all, but the real enjoyment na for back home o!i think pple who do d feet -licking are kinda ignorant.I've seen both worlds now, nd i think naija is the place to explode financially.But me i no go mind make some pple lick my feet when i fly back at christmas o , especially the babes wey don dey use me do yanga b4.omo, me sef i go too form when i land , u go tink say na me be tom cruise sef.
No long thing grin cool
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Sewami: 4:34pm On Nov 10, 2006
I think it depends on our own reaction to them,if u give them d impression dt they are big they will definitely feel big.even ladies flop around most of them cos of money.they think it is dt easy 4 them to make money over there.they alows think they are semi god that must be worshipped.as 4 me i always look at those of them dt feel too big as rubbish,i mean panti ewa ni won.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 30, 2007
@e-ben,
   From your post,you said you have not fallen victim to this 'abroad bigness' before,why then are you complaining?
As for those who have truly experienced it,I assure you that people who feel too big when they come home are people who have NO social status overseas and some Nigerians at home provide them the much needed opportunity to boost their ego by swarming around them like bees on honey.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by BlackMamba(m): 7:06pm On Feb 03, 2007
On the average they're better than home based Naija. You can't force one to be humble if they have advantages over you.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by SMC(f): 5:41pm On Feb 04, 2007
@ e-ben

I THINK U SHOULD DEAL WITH YOUR INFERIORITY COMPLEX MATE (YOU AND YOUR MATES). If you said it does not apply to you, where are you getting all the balderdash from aye?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by OmoEko1(f): 5:41am On Feb 05, 2007
@ e-ben

I think inadequacy multifaceted is bothering u so much grin grin, or are u jealous of people that just come back from abroad because I don't understand what will prompt u to ask this type of question.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Nobody: 5:15am On Feb 06, 2007
"Why do most nigerians abroad feel big when they return home?"
Simple, it's because we give them unnecessary attention. Most time, people feel under achieved and this aura of inferiority covers guys up when they're around them. I wonder what will happen if you now sit by a white on the train?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Lotuken(m): 8:06am On Mar 16, 2007
I've been in and out of nija on several occasions and even when i'm coming from the states you'll never know because i still see myself as me nothing special.I don't really think people abroad feel big but it is our people here that think like that maybe because of complex or whatever.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Lotuken(m): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2007
@esoneek,are you just travelling for the first time?Let me tell you something, A time will come when you will feel awfull to let people know you are travelling because as at that time you might have been travelling for more than 50times.So it won't look special to you any longer.Please don't form too much when you come back because you don't know who is watching you.A word is enough for the, ,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by dblock(m): 1:59pm On Mar 16, 2007
CAUSE LIGHT CAN ONLY SHINE IN DARKNESS

Naija no be darkness o angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 16, 2007
The thing that perplexes me is that when you go home,people are shocked to hear me speaking Igbo with my local dialect.
I don't know if they think that speaking Igbo is what a low class does or am I expected to forget my native tongue because I live in America.

Personally,I don't consider myself higher or better than anyone but you can't help but notice the stares and whisperings and people being unusually polite to you when you return home.
I went to the local market with my mom and sister last December and I could hear strangers whispering to themselves"O di ka ndi a si London nata"(It looks like these people came from London),why we stood out,I have no idea.
That scared me because of some stories I had heard
We wore regular clothes and shoes like everyone else but apparently we were still unable to completely go unnoticed.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by jacq(f): 10:19pm On Mar 16, 2007
Not everyone thinks they are better.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Feel Too Big (important)when They Come Here! by gbeborun(m): 11:37pm On Mar 16, 2007
no mata what they do, our folks at home will always beef. If nepa take light and u talk, dem go complain, if u complain about the heat and traffic, they will also complain. Infact there's nothing that u'll do that will seem rite to them. Dem go always find something talk. Anyways, make we leave this mata for mathias!!!!!!!!!!!!!
World people go always yan, abeg no long thing!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please How Do I Get To Teslim Balogun Stadium From Mile 2: Lagos / Picture Of Medview Airline, Aero, Azman, Dana, Discovery Aircraft @ MM2 Tarmac / Canadian Visa Expert, Scam Or Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.