Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Prevention And Treatment Of Heartburn During Pregnancy - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Prevention And Treatment Of Heartburn During Pregnancy (1537 Views)

Lassa Fever: Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment By WHO / Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment / Doctors In The House: What Is The Curse Of Heartburn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Prevention And Treatment Of Heartburn During Pregnancy by globalwaly(m): 1:53pm On Nov 23, 2014
More than half of all pregnant women report symptoms of severe heartburn, particularly during their second and third trimesters. Heartburn, also called acid indigestion, is an irritation or burning sensation of the esophagus caused by stomach contents that reflux (comes back up) from the stomach.
During pregnancy, the placenta produces the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus. This hormone also relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach, allowing gastric acids to seep back up, which causes that unpleasant burning sensation.

Prevention and Treatment of Heartburn during Pregnancy

To reduce heartburn during pregnancy without hurting your baby, you should try the following:

• Eat several small meals each day instead of three large ones.
• Eat slowly.
• Avoid fried, spicy, or rich foods, or any foods that seem to cause relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter and increase the risk of heartburn.
• Drink less while eating. Drinking large amounts while eating may increase the risk of acid reflux and heartburn.
• Don't lie down directly after eating.
• Keep the head of your bed higher than the foot of your bed. Or place pillows under your shoulders to help prevent stomach acids from rising into your chest.
• Ask your doctor about using over-the-counter medications such as Tums or Maalox, which are generally safe to use during pregnancy. You may find that liquid heartburn relievers are more effective in treating heartburn, because they coat the esophagus.
• Wear loose-fitting clothing. Tight-fitting clothes can increase the pressure on your stomach and abdomen.
• Avoid constipation.
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Avoid any tightness around your waist and tummy.
• Bend at the knees instead of at the waist.

Source: Overcoming Heartburn During Pregnancy http://healthsaveblog.com/overcoming-heartburn-during-pregnancy/

1 Share

Re: Prevention And Treatment Of Heartburn During Pregnancy by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 3:52pm On Nov 24, 2014
Nice one there. I could remember during one of the gestation period of my mother, she was having severe heartburn and when we decided to take her to the hospital she refused, she said it is normal and the heartburn she is having was as a result of the hairs on the head of the unborn baby. Funny enough my baby sister had lots of hair on her head when she was born. Maybe it just one of those traditional stuffs.
Re: Prevention And Treatment Of Heartburn During Pregnancy by globalwaly(m): 9:51am On Nov 29, 2014
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Nice one there. I could remember during one of the gestation period of my mother, she was having severe heartburn and when we decided to take her to the hospital she refused, she said it is normal and the heartburn she is having was as a result of the hairs on the head of the unborn baby. Funny enough my baby sister had lots of hair on her head when she was born. Maybe it just one of those traditional stuffs.

Lol, yea i believe its probably one of those traditional stuff we heard every time here.

(1) (Reply)

If You Eat Wheat, Here Are 7 Scientific Reasons To STOP Today / 6 Facts On The Best Known Treatment For Lung Cancer / Firmcare Diagnostics & Medical Services Ltd.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.