Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Do You Use GIMP? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Do You Use GIMP? (1837 Views)

3d Vfx Blender Maya Max Photoshop Gimp And Tech Community / Can You Use Blender Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Use GIMP? by namzo(m): 11:53am On Nov 28, 2008
I just downloaded Gimp 2.6 and it's looking pretty much like photoshop to me. I already use photoshop/illustrator. please i need informatn from anyone already using the software, if there's anything GIMP achieves better than PS.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by uspry1(f): 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2008
GIMP is an alternative to PS for those who cannot afford buying PS. IT IS FREE DOWNLOAD!

GIMP is used to be for LINUX operating system ONLY, now GIMP support Windows and MAC operating system. Hooray!!!! grin

Does not matter which graphic software you use, that is graphic designer preference to choose. NO COMPETITION, NO COMPARISON!!

There are many graphic software out there other than GIMP, PHOTOSHOP, COREL PAINT PRO SHOP, etc.

I use PS, 2nd Corel Paint ProShop, and 3rd GIMP switchable whatever I feel comfortable myself to design, create, or export/import image files each other.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by uspry1(f): 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by namzo(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2008
Thanks for the links grin. I tried opening my existing psd files with gimp but it didn't handle them properly. I'll suspend PS for while, and see what gimp can do. I also checked out the links,  really impressive. Thanks
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by uspry1(f): 4:57pm On Nov 28, 2008
namzo:

Thanks for the links grin. I tried opening my existing psd files with gimp but it didn't handle them properly. I'll suspend PS for while, and see what gimp can do. I also checked out the links,  really impressive. Thanks

PSD files will not work with GIMP unless if GIMP has its add-on plugins for PSD to make it work for GIMP. I have no idea if GIMP has add-on plugins. I strongly believe every applications including graphic, multimedia, browser has its own add-on plugins/modules.

ALL GRAPHIC SOFTWARE will work using import/export ANY jpg, gif, bmp, or png files to edit, delete, modify, whatever you are doing on images/graphic works. (PSD, PS, any application files such as SWF, FLA, DOC, XLS, PDF, will not work on ANY GRAPHIC SOFTWARE without add-on plugins/modules)
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by smartsoft(m): 8:09pm On Nov 28, 2008
see see see,  there something you as a designer you don't understand.  seee eh i think as a designer you should know it by now,  It's not how much software you have, but it's how you use it to accomplish your goal, there is not like PS and AI,  even FW & CDR it's how you use them  i can tell you other sofwtare i know that produce good design but after running, you will still come back to your house  a softeware is good for different projects  you can't tell me that if  the big names like D'banj ask me to design a poster for him for a lauch of new album  and you expecting me to use Corel ? fine other might use Corel  infact a guy here use COREL Photo paint  and you will think is using one kind of of  PS  i can work on COREL too  i can produce good brushes with it and use it for my design  if yu check well on this graphics section,  i use corel to design an abstract that you can use for a design or wallpaper but i'm always ready to go with PS when it comes to core-design.  Design like Coporate design can go with me on Corel and with the help of PS in producing good quality imagery + creativity in action.  ciaoooooooooooo
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by namzo(m): 7:05pm On Nov 29, 2008
smartsoft:

see see see,  there something you as a designer you don't understand.  seee eh i think as a designer you should know it by now,  It's not how much software you have, but it's how you use it to accomplish your goal
@smartsoft: I get ur point. But, i'm not tryin' to have all softwares, i'm just trying to see what gimp has got to offer. who knows wink. I started graphics with corel but now i use only photoshop.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2008
@ Smartsoft. As i read your post now it makes me laugh, You mean you are Mr Photoshop, you do the all your ur design on photoshop without touhing any other software. I dont use Corel but Why are you tring to condemn Corel Draw?

@ All. It is good for you to advance in any other software but the main point is that it most ne function and be useful. You cant just learn any new sofware for noting. I am busy now, i will get back to this thread later.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by smartsoft(m): 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2008
lol ajayi, u dey make me laugh gaaaaaaaaaaaan ! see proejects determines what kinda software to use, thats only thing i can tell you,
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 3:54pm On Nov 30, 2008
@smart. Cool, You are now talking. project determines software you use. i don't ushualy use corel draw but i use it once a while (couple of months ago sha).
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by MrCrackles(m): 3:56pm On Nov 30, 2008
I use a WIMP!
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by sojioguns(m): 10:29am On Dec 01, 2008
Software this, software that. A lot of people miss the very essense of some software. Corel draw is merely a page layout tool. It is not a fantastic design tool. Although i have seen some good work come out of it. Until there are proper brush tools and layer blending modes in corel draw i wouldnt consider it. Corel photopaint is more like it.
Gimp is very well worth considering. It's because a lot of people are enjoying the benefits of using bootleg software and getting away with it. If clients demanded original software license keys before commissioning jobs, what would you do? Open source has always been the messiah of those that cant afford the original.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 11:49am On Dec 01, 2008
@ Sojigun. lmao. I think think the Corel x4 is better small sha.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by smartsoft(m): 2:31pm On Dec 01, 2008
@ajayi give me 5 features in your x4 if it is really better as you preach. i mean 5 features i woun't find with the lower versions
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by sojioguns(m): 3:56pm On Dec 01, 2008
I cannot see any improvements in Corel Draw X4. Maybe photopaint, which i have never launched. I have met a lot of foreign designers that really do not use Corel. More of Fireworks and photoshop, which is the SI unit of design software. A verb has even been formed from the awesome software. U hear statements like, "An 8 year old could have easily photoshopped that."
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by smartsoft(m): 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2008
Thank you for pointing that out o jare, ! what is corel draw corel draw my ass
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 6:29pm On Dec 01, 2008
You guys makes me laugh grin. I don't use Corel draw at all. But i still have point with corel; Easy freehand drawing, They re-setup their colour palette, Easy to use, easy page setup( for designing, and so on. For you that is talking about photpshop. I know the colour pallete of photoshop can not be compare atall and the print put too is tha bumb.But there are lot of things you can't handle with photoshot (you have to use corel instead).

Note that i am just supporting Corel Draw but i don't use it as a professional.
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by sojioguns(m): 6:57pm On Dec 01, 2008
I really cannot think of anything that a designer would want to do with corel draw that he can't use photoshop for.
COREL DRAW IS A PAGE LAYOUT TOOL!!!!!!!
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 9:19am On Dec 02, 2008
grin grin grin sketching with freehand?
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by sojioguns(m): 9:22am On Dec 02, 2008
Hello! Brush tool
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by smartsoft(m): 6:20pm On Dec 02, 2008
because Ps is full of Layers thats the reason most ppl run, lol
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by sojioguns(m): 10:11am On Dec 03, 2008
Without layers a design is not complete. Look at it like onion skin.
Top layer: General background colours and elements
Next layer: Major text and information, etc
Re: Do You Use GIMP? by ajayi1(m): 11:11am On Dec 03, 2008
Yea, It is good tht there is layer in PS, without layer it will not be interesting.

(1) (Reply)

First Illsration Work Done On Coreldraw / AE & PP Workflow In Post-production / 30 Unedited Pictures That You Won’t Believe Are Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.