Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. (8448 Views)

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? / Landing Cost Of Petrol Increases Because Of Devaluation Of Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by decode55(m): 6:46am On Nov 26, 2014
Devaluation of the Naira has both Positive & Negative effects oga.

You did a good job of informing "us" on the negative side of things.

How about the positive aspect?
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by freshness2020: 6:51am On Nov 26, 2014
It can only get better!
Fear not 365 !
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by abdulwastecx(m): 6:52am On Nov 26, 2014
warrior01:

While your mates are seeing opportunities, you're still looking for excuses. Smh

you just don't get it... yea there is huge potential because of the population but the problem are just too numerous.
don't full yourself that most made in China goods are produce in Aba or Onitsha. The reality is it is much cheaper to produce in china than Nigeria even when you consider the shipping cost and other things.

We used to run a furniture company where we produce panel doors, flush doors, kitchen cabinets etc but it was impossible to compete with better manufactured Chinese furnitures that are cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing.

what we have in Nigeria are marginal entrepreneur which can hardly feed themself...they are hardworking but the government and system make things very hard for them.
imagine how many Nigerians are hawking along the express way, imagine how many of them are pushing wheel, conductors, taxi drivers, labourers, spare part selllers etc.

Nigeria is a country with little skilled Labour force

4 Likes

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by EzePromoe: 7:08am On Nov 26, 2014
omenka:
You sound really naïve. Who says the exchange rate is not one of the (if not the most significant factor) factors that influence inflation. If more naira is needed to import a particular good (sadly, this economy is import/consumer based and our balance of trade figures are not looking pretty) then more would be needed by the consumer to purchase such good since the importer has to maintain his profit margin. And when more and more money is needed to buy one particular product, what do you call such a trend
Obviously you misunderstood the whole point. Who was talking about imported goods here? When I mean 'not the price of every goods' I mean that the price of locally produced goods remain constant provided that the inflation rate remains constant. It's a big lie to say that currency devaluation induces inflation. What really causes inflation is scarcity, a situation where there is higher demand for limited goods.
In summary, the price of common goods in the market can't be affected by currency devaluation unless it has to do with imported goods.

1 Like

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by EzePromoe: 7:12am On Nov 26, 2014
fortunes0215:

Correct. Not all goods would be affected by price increase. Those of imported goods and products which are produced locally with imported raw materials will increase. Time to think entrepreneurship, export and patronage of locally manufactured goods. More positives than negatives though. Salary earners would need to get pay rise.
Omenka, here is someone who got my point smiley

1 Like

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by omenka(m): 7:28am On Nov 26, 2014
EzePromoe:

Omenka, here is someone who got my point smiley
Lol. Don't be happy just yet buddy. Here's the thing. There are lots of goods produced locally with some parts/materials brought in from overseas. Such "local" goods are going to witness hike in their prices. Agreed though, NOT ALL GOODs will be affected, agricultural products (raw materials) might maintain their previous prices but when the effects of this whole thing starts cascading to the point it affects the pump price of gasoline, trust me, the price of agricultural products will no doubt take a hit as well.

Truth is, we haven't built enough structures and systems to effectively absorb the economic shockwaves policies like this trigger. More often than not, for an economy like Nigeria's, this policy is akin to walking inside a marketplace blindfolded!! We can hardly accurately predict where things would head, but definitely, there's no gainsaying the cons outweigh the pros.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BlackTechnology: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2014
abdulwastecx:

how do you developed technology when all Nigeria lack all the basic research centers ?

How do you developed technology in a country of 175million people with only 6000 megawatts of electricity?

How do you developed technology in a country where it is impossible to borrow money from banks?

poeple are just running away from, the truth is that Nigeria lack the leadership, technical labour force, right environment to developed

Have you visited ABA NNEWI or any other SE industrial zone

What they need are
1) publicity,
2) further training ,
3) access to youtube programs that teaches how technology work/are produce
4) and a public or private venture to help them get their products to long distant customers without them leaving their locations or travelling to their customers location.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by Kaysiii(m): 7:47am On Nov 26, 2014
nickxtra:
Am exempted, because in times of scarcity, I shall live in plenty.

For your Mind
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BlackTechnology: 7:57am On Nov 26, 2014
abdulwastecx:

you just don't get it... yea there is huge potential because of the population but the problem are just too numerous.
don't full yourself that most made in China goods are produce in Aba or Onitsha. The reality is it is much cheaper to produce in china than Nigeria even when you consider the shipping cost and other things.

We used to run a furniture company where we produce panel doors, flush doors, kitchen cabinets etc but it was impossible to compete with better manufactured Chinese furnitures that are cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing.

what we have in Nigeria are marginal entrepreneur which can hardly feed themself...they are hardworking but the government and system make things very hard for them.
imagine how many Nigerians are hawking along the express way, imagine how many of them are pushing wheel, conductors, taxi drivers, labourers, spare part selllers etc.

Nigeria is a country with little skilled Labour force

Now that the price of imported furniture will rise dont you think your company's product will be in high demand
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by okiezman(m): 8:40am On Nov 26, 2014
warrior01:
You should have equally made it known to your audience that now is a good time for those creative hardworking men and women in Aba and other cities that produce those shoes, belts, weavons etc that are exported to African countries. If not for laziness and over dependence on government's welfare, you should have noticed the positive sides too.

Seconded
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by Oyimzy(m): 8:45am On Nov 26, 2014
kmariko:
It is time to go into production using locally sourced raw materials....
It is also time to export Nigeria from abroad and invest as it will buy more.
it is time to corner the market in area where foreign goods dominate.
It will be time to go into agriculture and food processing of native food.

Every situation is an opportunity for those keen on making it

Well said!
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by grellworld: 9:32am On Nov 26, 2014
bappahman:
---It means Those Naira Notes In your
Wallet,Pockets, or in Your Bank Account has Move
some steps Closer to being Mere Pieces of Paper.
---It means You need more Money to Care for your
Daily needs, You Need More of those Pieces of
Papers to Meet Ends Need.
--it Means the STANDARDS for You to Cross the
line of Poverty (and be Categorized as Average
living) are Further RAISED. So You better try to
earn more of those Currency if Not you will be
Engulfed by the Tide of the Poverty Line.
-- It means the Number of people Living Below a
Dollar per Day will Increase..because Now even if
a a person Survives By N168 you still fall Under
that Category.
-- It means You Most hold more Naira for You to
Buy That KPOMO, GARRI, BREAD, RICE, MAIZE,
And if you STILL DIDNT GET IT
--It means that Plate Of AKPU, POUNDED YAM,
JELLOF RICE, OR GARRI with EGUSI SOUP that You
always BUY from MAMA PUT will Increase..
So Take NOTE and Fasten Your Belts.

it also means that if health workers get pay raise as a result of the strike, they gained nothing
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:38am On Nov 26, 2014
Money is not your supply...

1 Like

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 26, 2014
I OLUWASEGUN Shall be blessed above all people.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by hardbody: 12:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
bappahman:
---It means Those Naira Notes In your
Wallet,Pockets, or in Your Bank Account has Move
some steps Closer to being Mere Pieces of Paper.
---It means You need more Money to Care for your
Daily needs, You Need More of those Pieces of
Papers to Meet Ends Need.
--it Means the STANDARDS for You to Cross the
line of Poverty (and be Categorized as Average
living) are Further RAISED. So You better try to
earn more of those Currency if Not you will be
Engulfed by the Tide of the Poverty Line.
-- It means the Number of people Living Below a
Dollar per Day will Increase..because Now even if
a a person Survives By N168 you still fall Under
that Category.
-- It means You Most hold more Naira for You to
Buy That KPOMO, GARRI, BREAD, RICE, MAIZE,
And if you STILL DIDNT GET IT
--It means that Plate Of AKPU, POUNDED YAM,
JELLOF RICE, OR GARRI with EGUSI SOUP that You
always BUY from MAMA PUT will Increase..
So Take NOTE and Fasten Your Belts.

Talking about foodstuff will amala, ewedu and gbegiri remain static?

In another news, it will foster higher inflation which will spiral. Cost of transportation will go up, ditto house rents and utility. Babes go also raise their bar for services rendered. All these , no thanks to rabid old geezers embezzling us blind in the name of politics while we are here throwing tantrums at each other in Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by MazadoGoodman: 1:13pm On Nov 26, 2014
Tokunbohkinibig:

That statement hurt me so much bro cos I know how hardworking Nigerians are. The last tym I came to Nigeria which was around April, I saw how Nigerians are struggling to survive on the streets of Lagos right from the airport down to my home state and it is painful to see someone calling these resilient and hardworking Nigerians "LAZY PEOPLE".

Bring US and EU citizens to Nigeria to live for 3 months and I can assure that they would be a genocide case in Hague.............

I felt it too, bro. I refer to these set of Nigerians (including me) as the "unsung heroes". There's a "but" though, to our situation. That is, if we'd not allowed ourselves to be polarised along religious and tribal sentiments, we would simply run "them" down and out. But tribalism + religious ism = SENTIMENTS, suspicion, division .... Our undoing.
We look to better times and things.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by tonjeola(m): 1:29pm On Nov 26, 2014
Everyone need a plan B
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by icemania: 1:50pm On Nov 26, 2014
GEJ... Is this the fresh air you promised?
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by Tokunbohkinibig: 2:36pm On Nov 26, 2014
MazadoGoodman:

I felt it too, bro. I refer to these set of Nigerians (including me) as the "unsung heroes". There's a "but" though, to our situation. That is, if we'd not allowed ourselves to be polarised along religious and tribal sentiments, we would simply run "them" down and out. But tribalism + religious ism = SENTIMENTS, suspicion, division .... Our undoing.
We look to better times and things.

Yes i agreed with you bro. Like i always tell my african colleagues and friends who care to listen that the only reason Why the white people were able to colonised us- African was because of division, tribal war, betrayal and of course covetousness.

However, in d next couple of years, things ll definitely change in terms of Nigerian leaders, tribal wars and every other tings that are confronting Nigerians at d moment.

The answer to our tribal problem is quite simple but cos of arrogance and selfishness, the tribal issue continue to hurt every Nigerians directly or indirectly. The simple answer to all this tribal and religious problem is all about respecting one another. Let me use PDP agreement as an example, PDP has an agreement in place to share power between South and d north so as to keep peace among us. All we ought to have done in d South was to to agree among ourselves on how to rotate this presidency among ourselves. Yoruba was there for 8years, then let Igbo choose d best among themselves when it is our turn again in d South. The next could be Ijaw man or Urhobo man and everybody ll eventually feel a sense of belonging. Bro, look at Niger delta at moment, militant choose not to attack our pipelines cos they believe that Jonathan is one of them.

Bro, another solution to dis tribal and religious issue is to have a good selfless leaders in this country. A country where everybody could aspire to become whatever they have chosen to become, a place where people could afford three square meals etc
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by eledacedar(f): 4:30pm On Nov 26, 2014
fortunes0215:

Correct. Not all goods would be affected by price increase. Those of imported goods and products which are produced locally with imported raw materials will increase. Time to think entrepreneurship, export and patronage of locally manufactured goods. More positives than negatives though. Salary earners would need to get pay rise.

And most times, when the pay rise happens, job cuts follow because the employer has to make profit. Ordinarily, if the employer is to make profit, the possibility of pay cut is often the best/easiest way out. However, for the purchasing power of the employees to correspond with the devaluation, they need pay rise.

This was what happened in 2008/2009 when the price of crude fell and CBN raised naira/dollar rate from #139=$1. The ripple effect led to many jib cuts with the banking sector hit very hard. I won't be surprised if job cuts start happening by 1st quarter of 2015.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by kaboninc(m): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
abdulwastecx:

How do you produce using local raw material when you lack industrial productivity. Nigeria lack the basic know how, infrastructure and finances to sustained a strong manufacturing productivity.

How do you corner the market where foreign producta dominated when you can't produce the substitutes. You need all those electricity, skilled man power to produce goods and services that will be competitive with foreign products.

Go into agriculture? agriculture already contributes more to the GDP. What you need is strong mechanized agriculture. where will you get the tractors, farm inputs, processing factories etc when we a very weak currency.

Stop sitting behind that screen of yours. Go out, get informed and involved!
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by nickxtra(m): 10:13pm On Nov 26, 2014
Kaysiii:

For your Mind
For my mind and in reality
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by fr3do(m): 2:16am On Nov 28, 2014
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BlackTechnology: 6:09am On Nov 28, 2014
fr3do:

and engage our universities and polytechnics in arms manufacture grin

Olodo

In arms development wink while DICON mass produced outstanding newly developed weapons. cool
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BlackTechnology: 6:18am On Nov 28, 2014
eledacedar:

And most times, when the pay rise happens, job cuts follow because the employer has to make profit. Ordinarily, if the employer is to make profit, the possibility of pay cut is often the best/easiest way out. However, for the purchasing power of the employees to correspond with the devaluation, they need pay rise.

This was what happened in 2008/2009 when the price of crude fell and CBN raised naira/dollar rate from #139=$1. The ripple effect led to many jib cuts with the banking sector hit very hard. I won't be surprised if job cuts start happening by 1st quarter of 2015.

I need better explanation on how the rise of naira/dollar rate to #139=$1 caused banks to cut jobs down.

Remember

Sanusi was witch hunting banks owned by Southerners.

Also your information failed to let the world know that cheap importation destroys local industries.
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by zeepatoprick(m): 8:21am On Nov 28, 2014
EzePromoe:
The devaluation of the naira is something that was bound to happen. It's unfortunate that all these while we've solely depended on crude oil and now that the black gold has lost its value, what were you expecting next? Point of correction OP, that the naira was devalued doesn't really mean that the price of every goods will go high. That can only be determined by the inflation rate. That is to say that garri will still sell at same price even if naira falls to 200/dollars.

Devaluation of naira.. Puts inflationary pressures on the economy... Especially if that economy is an import dependent economy..u find that when international buyers import goods for domestic purposes... Dese goods are being handled in foreign currencies (eg us dollars).. When the naira is devalued as against the dollar.. Goods for import purposes become more expensive.. And an importer carrying out activities for the sole purpose of making profits.. Would increase prices of those goods for the final consumers to bear.. So in a way devaluation affects the mere man
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by zeepatoprick(m): 8:44am On Nov 28, 2014
Evry one has a point.. But we are talking abt a macro economic scale... One activity affects anoda.. the devaluation of the naira is as a result of economic performance...
Our external reserves is low.... Our economy being a mono cultural one ( heavily dependent on crude oil) and inability of not diversifying our economy, economic mismanagement, corruption, political instability, security situation. Evry agent and factor is a role player in d devaluation of the naira...
So also can devaluation of the naira affect local prices of goods and services....there is no doubt abt dat...
One of the planned fiscal policies to stem the fall in oil prices..is to cut down expenditures like the removal of subsidies.... Tell me how that won't affect the agrarian faction.... Which will still boil down to the final consumers..
Local industries are still heavily dependent on imported raw materials.. Which will still boil down to final consumers.. So we jst gat to kip our head afloat
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by fr3do(m): 11:48am On Nov 28, 2014
Re: What CBN Devaluation Of Naira Means: In Case You Don't Get It. by BlackTechnology: 11:56am On Nov 28, 2014
fr3do:

grin oh, its arms development

undecided

Are you homo

For your information I am not

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Has Nairaland Enabled You To Achieve This 2013 / Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? / Naira Appreciates To N498/$ As Reserves Hit $28.3bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.