Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:36 AM

Learning Advanced Vocabularies - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Learning Advanced Vocabularies (476 Views)

TODAY QUOTES: Learning From History / Learning About Yourself Exercise / Lessons From The 'world's Ugliest Woman': 'stop Staring And Start Learning' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learning Advanced Vocabularies by marenx: 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2014
Learning Advanced Vocabularies with Maren John Mafuyai
An interview with a freelance interviewer, O.S Babajide.
Babajide:Can we know you as a Language Expert?
Maren: My name is Maren John Mafuyai, a proudly Nigerian Expert in teaching English and French as International Languages online. A father of one, I’m a dedicated language teacher, teaching both adults and children for six years. Now doing it both off- and on-line.
Babajide:Let’s go straight to the point. How do you treat knew words (vocabularies) when you first come in contact with them?
Maren: I treat them as I welcome any considerate visitor into my house. I often listen and attain to them curiously.
Babajide:What does advanced sentence mean?
Maren: Advanced sentence is a simple, compound or complex sentence type constructed by a significant choice of words.
Babajide:Can you describe an advanced word also?
Maren: Well, advanced word means a word that sounds professional because it’s not common. It is usually employed in a formal writing or speech.
Babajide:Hmmm! Then how can we master both advanced words and advanced sentences?
Maren: The only step is learning vocabularies. Vocabularies are often uncommon words such as insurgency, nomadic, latitude, replenish, galvanized, freelance, etc. You learn them by reading articles pertaining several areas of interest such as banking, government, marketing, sport, etc. Or simply gather public speeches and study them if you want to be a guru in such field.
Babajide:‘Guru!’ This is my favorite word when I was in secondary school back in 90’s. But do you mean, using common words like a ‘cat’ and a ‘dog’ doesn’t make the speaker sound professional?
Maren: Not really, not exactly. I mean, the speaker sounds professional if he or she has a good choice of words.
Babajide:Then can you give us one example of an advanced sentence with a ‘cat’ and a ‘dog’?
Maren: Why not? I will even give you with an analysis.
Here is it:
There is a significant reason why we feature a cat and a dog on our logo.
Here is the analysis:
What makes the [above] sentence sounds advanced is the use of ‘significant’ and ‘feature.’ If, for instance, I used ‘important’ instead of ‘significant’ or ‘show’ instead of ‘feature’, I would have sounded unprofessional. The sentence would have been:
There is an important reason why we show a cat and a dog on our logo.
This later version sounds unprofessional.
Babajide:Your final word to those who may cherish to use advanced language to improve their businesses and characters.
Maren: Why don’t you setabout looking for those advanced words to learn perfectly? I started a new blog recently with wordpress where you can visit to learn more through our Facebook Page. To get regular update about learning advanced vocabularies, click here to like the page.

Read the original version here http://languageexpertintl./2014/11/26/learning-advanced-vocabularies-with-maren-john-mafuyai/

(1) (Reply)

The Faith Angle Episode 3 / Black / Short Fiction Award In Benin City 1st Place-5,000,2nd place-3000, place 3rd-1500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.