Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). (2921 Views)

[deleted] / Top 10 Nigerian websites according to Alexa Rank / Nairaland's Alexa Web Ranking. What Is Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by cbrass(m): 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2014
fleps:
The front page idea is a good idea. It is a forum and its uniqueness is that it has a front page. The front page helps to give you the 'important' stuffs at a glance. For example during hot era in Nigeria like Election, Protest or Political unrest, what I do is just logon to Nairaland and check the front page to get latest. This is better than going to the sections to look for news because spammers (like someone said) would have pushed it down and with spread and most times even to page 2. But the front page is longer and it takes days for topics to enter next page.

Seun here's what I'd advice:
Election is coming and Christmas is here. More people will be more engaged with the internet for news and good stuffs. Let your mods be ready for pushing those good and interesting stuffs to the front page and people will be engaged and will surely return.

As for the Alexa thing, I'm tempted to believe that more sites are rising with their traffic OR some coding has been done and it is responsible for it.
My website from about 1,900 (Nigeria) fell into 2,000 and then 2,500 and then 2,900. I added H1 tag to the header of my website and I fell more to 3,000 and then 3677. It kept falling. Then I removed the tags and worked on traffic (I advertised my articles on Facebook and shared them on LinkedIn) and now I'm 2,500 and I hope to improve daily.

Concerning the webmaster section thingy, the mods are working, but they need to work more. Some threads need to be closed the second it is opened E.G A thread reads "Learn how To Code WordPress bla bla" you open it and what do you see? just two words "contact me" so annoying!

Keep the good work on. One thing I'm sure of, Nairaland rules the land...!

By standard I think there should be only one <h1>. Tag then why remove something that should further help your site, or how did you code the name of your site in the header
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Ishilove: 3:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
cbrass:
Jeez shocked if I open Babalawo shop I will sell oo shocked , I once predicted this and its already happening.

Now Mr Seun stop the idea of selective content for FP, then sack Ishilove or whatever her name is, direct lifting of contents from other site will kill this site gradually

Encourage ppl to write more for the site, probably you can do a get paid to write thing then add some few conditions to it so you do not loose but you gain more(I have a blue print for this if interested)

Cheers Bro
Oya clap for yourself.

When last have you created any non-shitty thread? Everyone is complaining yet no one is making any effort to make the site interesting by creating interesting threads.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by cbrass(m): 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2014
Ishilove:

Oya clap for yourself.

When last have you created any non-shitty thread? Everyone is complaining yet no one is making any effort to make the site interesting by creating interesting threads.

Does that justify why you should be lifting contents from other sites and pasting it here, and pushing it to the FP
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Ishilove: 3:36pm On Nov 28, 2014
cbrass:

Does that justify why you should be lifting contents from other sites and pasting it here, and pushing it to the FP
By other sites you mean news sites? Stop spewing nonsense
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by cbrass(m): 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2014
Ishilove:

By other sites you mean news sites? Stop spewing nonsense
Me dey spew nonsense..lol I rest my case, seun nw u can see what am saying grin
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Ishilove: 4:05pm On Nov 28, 2014
cbrass:

Me dey spew nonsense..lol I rest my case, seun nw u can see what am saying grin
Yeah, you rest your case, because you have none.

What are the mods supposed to do? Manufacture news out of thin air? When posters create threads with information sourced from news and entertainment sites, and they are posted to the front page, do you consider that to be out of place? There have been several interesting threads on the frontpage with original content from Nairaland, yet you conveniently ignore those ones and pick on the ones sourced from news sites.

I repeat, stop spewing nonsense. Cbrass or whatever your name is, create an interesting thread that will appeal to nairalanders and it will find it's way to the frontpage. Even if it doesn't, nairalanders will still benefit from it.

In addition, next time when you write, let your brain, not your fingers do the thinking.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 28, 2014
Ishilove:

I repeat, stop spewing nonsense.

In addition, next time when you write, let your brain, not your fingers do the thinking.
i will deactivate my account if all the mods were like you!! A mod is abusing a user, you are the most selfish mod i've ever known. a mod that will ignore a user intresting post because he/she hates that user, such mod deserves to be tagged "selfish".
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Ishilove: 5:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
Naijazoom:
i will deactivate my account if all the mods were like you!! A mod is abusing a user, you are the most selfish mod i've ever known. a mod that will ignore a user intresting post because he/she hates that user, such mod deserves to be tagged "selfish".
Prove where I ignored a user's interesting post because I 'hate' that user, or forever hold your peace.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by abhosts(m): 5:49pm On Nov 28, 2014
A decline in Alexa Rankings does not mean that a Site's traffic has reduced. It might be as a result of increased visits to the other sites that have overtaken Nairaland.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by eliteweb(m): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2014
I think its time Oga Seun starts moderating his moderators.

Also more useful contents are needed
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by zeroshadow: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2014
I guess Nairaland has been hit by Google's Penguin update... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by zynzyn(m): 10:07pm On Nov 28, 2014
Seun:
The recovery has started. But the 3 month average rank will continue to drop for a while.

Your response shows you no dey carry last. YOU ARE REALLY ON TOP OF THIS FORUM! grin grin Wey de clap icon now?!

But i must confess, your moderators have been frustrating me and i don't think na only me!

I cannot rely on signature to promote my goods and services because signature is not visible to guests. At any time there are more guests than members online visiting most threads.

Why not make signatures editable for each thread and visible to non members, but perhaps only the first three urls will be do follow, so as not to run foul of google?
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by zynzyn(m): 10:16pm On Nov 28, 2014
Google have tried to become the god of the internet. But hey, even if they reduce your pagerank, your brand image will compensate! So, please do not ignore the interests of your users. Google penalised text-link-ads.com (now MATOMY SEO) but they have survived because of their stubbornly loyal membership base!!
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by zynzyn(m): 10:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
abhosts:
A decline in Alexa Rankings does not mean that a Site's traffic has reduced. It might be as a result of increased visits to the other sites that have overtaken Nairaland.

Weeell!, Weeeeeell!! smiley
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by fleps(m): 9:08am On Nov 29, 2014
Interesting revelations!
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 29, 2014
This is quite interesting. . .
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by kepal99(m): 3:33pm On Nov 29, 2014
I even tried posting a comment on the bombing of the central mosque in kano, I gat a reply... Are U a muslim? Do U believe in ----, the following *islamic writings tho* will be displayed on your profile. I selected no and I couldn't find the thread anymore.
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
The thread she don disapear be that - nairaland magic
Re: Nairaland's Alexa Rank Dropping (Very Worried!). by Shollay20(m): 8:01pm On Dec 04, 2014
I dont know why some people like front page,,,,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Website Review - Just Nigeria Entertainment / How To Get Your Post To The Front Page / Finally There's A Plugin You Can Use To Send Bulk Sms From Your Wordpress Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.