Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,367 members, 7,957,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:48 AM

Over Abbreviations Are Killing Our Ability To Spell Correctly. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Over Abbreviations Are Killing Our Ability To Spell Correctly. (402 Views)

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations / First Class Graduate Who Can't Spell 'Distinction' / Words You Found Difficult To Spell In Your Early School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Over Abbreviations Are Killing Our Ability To Spell Correctly. by dein77(m): 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
I know we are in a fast-paced century where everybody wants to do more using the limited available time. This consciousness is brought even into the academic, especially with the advent of the Internet and social media.

In recent times, people hardly spell their words fully. This is gradually killing our spelling ability. As a matter of fact, we do our thinking in abbreviations.

My little cousin sent me a text message this morning. I had to spend more than a minute trying to decipher a few lines. It was so annoying. For me, I see it as laziness and indiscipline. I hardly abbreviate my words. I like to spell my words in full. I had to send him a message why he should minimise his abbreviations. Some folks almost abbreviate every word.

We need to endeavour to spell our words fully.
Re: Over Abbreviations Are Killing Our Ability To Spell Correctly. by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 28, 2014
Ntin wrng 'n abbrviatng wrds. D use'f smses as a stndrd'f comunicatin's med ppl shrten almst ery wrd knwn 2 man. Smses'r 2xpensiv 2risk wrytn erytn in ful.

Thats why I prefer whatsapp as a secondary means of communication. I can write words in full and send 1,000 long worded messages at less than a fraction of sms prices.
Sure the millenials might shorten words due to sms use but the generation after would revert back to full worded mesages because of cheap communication.

(1) (Reply)

New Website To List And Rate Schools Launched / SAP HANA Online Training In UK / Admission Procedures For Federal Polytechnic Nekede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.