Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria (15912 Views)

Starting An Advertising Agency / Does Anyone Work In An Advertising Agency / Top Outdoor Advertising Agency In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by debqueen(f): 7:54am On Aug 10, 2006
Pls can anyone tel me what it takes 2 start an advertisin agency in Naija. A frend of is comin 4rm Ireland n he's got lovly concepts.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by kfo(m): 6:58pm On Aug 10, 2006
i suggest the best way for your friend to get statrted is to intern at an already exsisting agency in naija
for a while. to get to understand the nature of biz in this clime .i work in one of nigeria's top agencies and i ve seen people start off with real beautful ideas but fizzled out becos they didint do their home work right.
cheers
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:18pm On Nov 24, 2006
I don't think it's different from starting an advertising agency in the UK. His current knowledge will be useful.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by tEsLim(m): 12:40pm On Jan 03, 2007
Ur European ideas will be fun in europe! Things are quite different its not always the way it seems. I've worked for an agency too. We used to hate the boss when he comes thinking naija is like america where he came from. He suffered a lot in the early years. before he understood
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:16pm On Jan 03, 2007
What can posibly be different about advertising in Nigeria? Many Nigerian adverts are created abroad, you know.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by diyobdw(f): 12:08pm On Jan 04, 2007
seun
diff could be in the concept not production
look at the intial celtel advert- they werent communicating directly. it was just there & a loss if they were newly made!

Advertising is about talking to people in thier language culture and level of understanding.
Most of the advert concept stolen and reproduce direct wont make same impact

But i think what it takes would be talking about the business sense and ethics
that would be diff as we dont have the same as developed countries.
Best way is to do a proper market research on the industry currently. (the dos & dont and ways)
textbook advertising dont workas much has pratical how far! shocked
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by tEsLim(m): 10:31pm On Jan 04, 2007
@diyobdw : Thanks for explaining this to Seun. I could'nt go into breaking some stuffs down. I cant jus think at the moment
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by diyobdw(f): 2:20pm On Jan 08, 2007
u r welcome grin
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by cheggyez(m): 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2007
Plz talking about advertising,
I think i need help.
I am someone dat has always wanted to be into advertising cos i luv it, think out adverts etc.
I have even written many advert for telecom companies, but how can i get it to them?
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by diyobdw(f): 8:57am On Sep 26, 2007
You see u have some thing to fear in taking and advert to companies *esp big once.Losing your concept to their agency or marketing dept.
-cos you are a one man firm !
- you are a treat -sadly but logically reason is that -if you are being paid to do a job and a stranger walks in and deliver what u were hired to do it means, you are incompetent or not required.-that why the kill such

[center]These wont stop u work be copied! sad[/center]

Aside that, lets get positive:

- You can find out how the company work thru agency or do they have a marketing dept that control their advertising.

- Package your concept and to the and keep it to urself

- Find the contact person * the main man* then liaise with them

Another way is to do samples you can give away to them (agency or coY) to show you skills, try to build a relationship with them then hope for future jobs

1 Like

Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by MsMs: 9:19am On Sep 26, 2007
@dequeen

Do you or your friend possess any previous advertising qualifications if so contact me @realitypie@yahoo.co.uk. You never now what's lurking next door wink
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by cheggyez(m): 12:20pm On Nov 26, 2007
who advertises for nokia in nigeria
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by chapter10: 4:56pm On Jan 28, 2008
nuff said diyobdw, u couldnt have bin more to the point.i needed that info more than anyother living thing!, c, eh, i was hoping to buzz u privately but couldnt find ur addy. i guess am not the only one around with a creative mind n bla bla bla, but am kinda feeling cold feeted(pls dont use that phrase in public) bout starting up something, am having migraines wid all the ideas in my head n i dont wanta go to the grave wid 'em, am into IT but am really bored there, Advertising (n branding) is just it for me, so please mammy, whats the way forward?, i fit the profile of a copywritter n have alota sketchy work on paper, i dont know how to build up a portfolio, what i actually mean is that, i am confused on what kinda spec ad i shud have.in-dat, shud they be sample print ads since i think("think" is stressed here) it wud be ridiculuos approaching a prospective client with sample tv or radio adscripts.he or she mite not be able to visualize the concept u have on paper! So *if* portfolios are built solely on concepts for print ads, i guess i wud need to explain my ideas to a graffics guy n have him translate that visually for me yes? then working in an ad agency, (drums rolling)am a school drop out (university level) but presently running a degree online with a foreign uni.so what r the chances for somebody with such a charming profile?, cos i thot the idea was to be creative enuff. i wud really love a direct correspondence wid u since i really dont have knowledgable people to seek advice from on the subject , i wud really appreciate any suggestions from u n any other person who can help, thanx everybody

2 Likes

Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by smartsoft(m): 6:29am On Aug 02, 2008
hey can you hit me up ( chapter ) ? i'm some who love advertsing too, i translate that in most of brandings and all that, uc@ucheugo.com thats my email
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by brownbonno(m): 9:39am On Aug 03, 2008
I am always touched with the level of enthusiasm and courage of Nigerians to make things work.
In relation to Advertising,the concept and ethics can only be understood and translated in a realisable idea either through experience or qualification.You could be conceptual but to translate this concept into reality you need the understanding of your market and the possible audience.In a nut shell Marketing as a qualification is desired to understand the holistic market environment/philosophy.You have to understand-
-Market competition
-Target market and segmentation
-Buying behaviour
-Innovation
ETC

Because Advertising does not only create awareness but to influence/change your market/audience/public perception to make a purchase.Psychologically you can only do this ONLY if you understand them(market)

1 Like

Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by Vickade(m): 8:45am On Dec 16, 2008
debqueen,

wots up? well, dis dicussion has been up since august but im just seeing it. i am the concept guy with all the world ideas in my head. i do copywriting, conceptualization, corporate branding and some graphics. i was into journalism and PR but my insticnt to be more creative pushed me out and i found myself running ad shows on my own. the 1st concept was for globacom but it was hijacked and used. it was painful.

i came out of it and pakaged anoda for UBA (their Arsenal debit card) but it was hijacked again and executed. another soap opera stolen. i then decided to keep my other concepts. to myself.

today, i work in an ad agency but dat hot desire to run thins is still there. ideas are comin and i keep packagin dem. some av released to my agency while still keeping some. if ur friend is really keen on doing the stuff, av got some experiences, creative politics and hot ideas that could keep us going. with these and a bit of luck on our side, we could run big shows. i can be reached on ekojournalist@yahoo.com or 08051884470.

victor.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by Vickade(m): 8:51am On Dec 16, 2008
sori, i forgot to add dis. you know branding is embracing localization of ideas now. coca-cola achieved great success when it was 'thinking global and acting local'; but greater success when it was 'thinking local and acting local'. all those your friends ideas could be localized and adapted to our environment. incidentally, im naturally endowed with dat. if thins turn well and we get in touch, you would see some of my global but localized concepts. cheers.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by mykephils(m): 12:15am On Dec 20, 2008
Hello Guys,

I coming into the Marketing communication industry. I read newspapers reports that said Nigeria's Advertising revenue is about 30 Billion Naira Annually.

I am bringing into the country some advertising media like Eletronic Billboards.Please How can I get People to advertise on them.Should I go throw advertising agencies,media buying companies or approach client directly, I am based in Abuja, Pls everyone reply.Thanks
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by Vickade(m): 7:42am On Dec 22, 2008
mykephils,

the way to market your electronic billboard is not different from the way market women market their goods. the only difference dis time around is your audience. you will have to shout loud for your audience to hear. yu know electronic billboard is not a new thin in nigeria. so, yu will have to rtalk to a lot of brand owners and their advertising agencies.
advertising in nigeria is a murky waters but with good concepts, God and bit of luck on your side, i swea, yu will sing a new song. amen? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. lets get in touch please. 08051884470.

victor.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by cammax7(m): 6:36pm On Mar 05, 2011
Lots i could say to d topic poster but a lots been said already, so i'll just tell u to tell ur friend to join APCON. U can't do advertising business in Nigeria witout being a member. U got to be licensed to practise
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by cammax7(m): 6:39pm On Mar 05, 2011
And then locate lawyerchap here on nairaland. He is a practising advertiser, he's been wit two big firms since i knew him here, he could give u and ur friend tips and ideas
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by DreamWright: 1:54am On Jan 05, 2012
A new Brand & Ad Communications firm in Lagos needs a brilliant, versatile & seriously out-of-the-box thinking freelance Copywriter & freelance Graphics Designer.
Experience is not really important, creativity & versatility are crucial.
Interested applicants should drop samples of their work & a short (not more than 150 characters) bio of themselves @hypher22@yahoo.com
Successful applicants would be contacted via e-mail.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by chantebas(f): 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2012
We are a Branding and Business consulting firm.
You can email us @ info@nikadsolutions.com for necessary information.
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by nittygirl: 5:22pm On Feb 01, 2012
In line with the discussion on board, is there are group that is made up of client service folks in the industry?
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by justin04(m): 7:50am On Mar 15, 2012
How do you join APCON for those interested in joining?
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by keststan: 10:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
PLEASE I NEED INFO ON HOW TO GET INTOUCH WITH ON OF DOES AGENCY WHO DO ADVERT, CAN SOME HEP OUT
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by ochallo: 2:46am On Jul 23, 2013
Before you start any business in Nigeria.

Here are questions you need to ask yourself.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/06/start-business-questions-to-ask-yourself.html
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by mcwalka(m): 11:09am On Aug 01, 2013
pls peeps is there any advert magazine in nigeria
Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by TheCode(m): 5:17pm On Nov 15, 2013
mcwalka: pls peeps is there any advert magazine in nigeria

wat do u mean by advert magazine? a magazie solely dedicated to advertisements? y would anyone buy such a magazine adverts are info abt goods/services that people see "in passing". They are usually embeded within something of interest to the viewer or along the viewer's path. i hope u understand wat i mean by these. An advert magazine wont interest anyone... even if its free because it has been robbed of its subtlety, discreteness and demystified of its suggestiveness. imagine an hour tv programme dedicated to different adverts alone... would u try to beat traffic so as to not to miss the show? #goes back to reading the punch.

1 Like

Re: Starting An Advertising Agency In Nigeria by digitsolution: 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
Hello and compliments of the season to you. Please would love to talk with you. do get in touch anytime you see this. Thanks

Zik4zik:
@ op, there is more to starting an advertising agency in Nigeria than good concepts and ideas. It is not just about good concepts and all. Basically, to strive and do well as an ad firm in Nigeria, you must have known your onion in the field, get registered with apcon and most importantly be a political business man. Their are lots of ad firms that has the best brains and the best of ideas but after a pitch which they have been announced as winners, you suddenly find out in less than 48hours that the pitch that was previously won has suddenly been re assigned to another winner, a clue less ad agency. These thing happen every day that is why you see tons of wacky ads being displayed for rich clients and no one can do anything about it. Your friend might choose to start small, pick an arm of advertising and forget about traditional advertising for now. Their are pretty lucrative but not conspicuous arms of advertising which many has ignored for ages yet their customers are guaranteed, capital needed is considerably lower and incidences of politics are minimal. For example, digital advertising. For digital advertising, their are no two ways about it. Your performance must be good and such performance will guarantee your retaining that same job and new jobs next season. Same for outdoor ad firms. The number of bill boards owned will determine what jobs you get and incidences of politics is also lower but capital is larger. In summary, advertising business is very lucrative in Nigeria but you must prepare your self for loads of ugly scenarios. Regards.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice / "20m Naira Was 5m Dollar In 1990"- Jim Ovia Recounts How He Started Zenith Bank / Nigerian Customs Sabotaging Igbo Businesses - Ohanaeze Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.