Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. (1038 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Wednesday 27th March 2013 Relating With Enemies By Pa / New Galileo Book Raises Religious, Science Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. by jmoore(m): 10:36am On Nov 30, 2014
In 1610, Century Italian astronomer/mathematician/inventor Galileo Galilei, a christian used a a telescope he built to observe the solar system, and deduced that the planets orbit the sun, not the earth.

His quotes relating to God are shown below

1- "But I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them".

2- "For the holy Bible and the phenomena of nature proceed alike from the divine Word, the former as the dictate of the Holy Ghost and the latter as the observant executrix of God's commands. It is necessary for the Bible, in order to be accommodated to the understanding of every man, to speak many things which appear to differ from the absolute truth so far as the bare meaning of the words is concerned. But Nature, on the other hand, is inexorable and immutable; she never transgresses the laws imposed upon her, or cares a whit whether her abstruse reasons and methods of operation are understandable to men. For that reason it appears that nothing physical which sense-experience sets before our eyes, or which necessary demonstrations prove to us, ought to be called in question (much less condemned) upon the testimony of biblical passages which may have some different meaning beneath their words".

3- "I would beg the wise and learned fathers (of the church) to consider with all diligence the difference which exists between matters of mere opinion and matters of demonstration. ... [I]t is not in the power of professors of the demonstrative sciences to alter their opinions at will, so as to be now of one way of thinking and now of another. ... [D]emonstrated conclusions about things in nature of the heavens, do not admit of being altered with the same ease as opinions to what is permissible or not, under a contract, mortgage, or bill of exchange."

4- I would say here something that was heard from an ecclesiastic of the most eminent degree: 'That the intention of the Holy Ghost is to teach us how one goes to heaven, not how heaven goes".

5- "Take note, theologians, that in your desire to make matters of faith out of propositions relating to the fixity of sun and earth you run the risk of eventually having to condemn as heretics those who would declare the earth to stand still and the sun to change position—eventually, I say, at such a time as it might be physically or logically proved that the earth moves and the sun stands still".

6- "The prohibition of science would be contrary to the Bible, which in hundreds of places teaches us how the greatness and the glory of God shine forth marvelously in all His works, and is to be read above all in the open book of the heavens. And let no one believe that the reading of the most exalted thoughts which are inscribed upon these pages is to be accomplished through merely staring up at the radiance of the stars. There are such profound secrets and such lofty conceptions that the night labors and the researches of hundreds and yet hundreds of the keenest minds, in investigations extending over thousands of years would not penetrate them, and the delight of the searching and finding endures forever."

7- "Two truths cannot contradict one another".

Culled from http://www.todayinsci.com/G/Galilei_Galileo/GalileiGalileo-Quotations.htm
Re: Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. by monemsis(m): 10:39am On Nov 30, 2014
Re: Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. by tunsky09: 10:42am On Nov 30, 2014
Na wa oooo
Re: Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:49am On Nov 30, 2014
I respect galileo

I hate the catholic church for killing such a rare gem

1 Like

Re: Galileo's Quotes Relating To God. by jmoore(m): 10:58am On Nov 30, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:
I respect galileo

I hate the catholic church for killing such a rare gem
He died after suffering fever and heart palpitation while under house arrest.

(1) (Reply)

Rev Chris Oyakhilome Charge N1k Gate Fee For New Year Eve Service / Jonathan Prays on the Mountain (pic) / Check Out This CNN Report On Mark Of The Beast!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.