Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,423 members, 7,819,520 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. (4746 Views)

Sunday African Poetry Special: Christmas In Biafra By Chinua Achebe / Sunday African Poetry Special: Agbor Dancer By John Pepper Clark / Sunday African Poetry Special: Africa By David Diop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. by RothmasPop: 6:08pm On Nov 30, 2014
Léopold Sédar Senghor (9th October 1906 – 20th December 2001) was a Senegalese poet, politician, and cultural theorist who for two decades served as the first president of Senegal (1960–1980). Senghor was the first African elected as a member of the Académie française. Before independence, he founded the political party called the Senegalese Democratic Bloc. He is regarded by many as one of the most important African intellectuals of the 20th century.

I WILL PRONOUNCE YOUR NAME – Leopold S. Senghor

I will pronounce your name, Naett, I will declaim you, Naett!
Naett, your name is mild like cinnamon, it is the fragrance in which the lemon grove sleeps
Naett, your name is the sugared clarity of blooming coffee trees
And it resembles the savannah, that blossoms forth under the masculine ardour of the midday sun
Name of dew, fresher than shadows of tamarind,
Fresher even than the short dusk, when the heat of the day is silenced,
Naett, that is the dry tornado, the hard clap of lightning
Naett, coin of gold, shining coal, you my night, my sun!…
I am you hero, and now I have become your sorcerer, in order to pronounce your names.
Princess of Elissa, banished from Futa on the fateful day.

Commentary

Although from its theme,this poem should belong to the collection “Chans pour Naett” One of Senghor’s later works,it is,in facts,listed in Chants d’ombre.A probable explanation would be that in Senghor’s glorification of everything African,the continent and the human beings,especially the women,fuse into One. in effect then,love and concern for the one is the same as love and concern for the other.

“I Will Pronounce your Name”is a love poem celebrating or declaiming the poet’s love for Naett.there is something traditional about the form of this poem which reminds us of praise-singers. Besides the evocative repetition of Naett,the poem progresses by a cumulative use of similes and metaphors,sometimes a bit startling, like ‘the dry tornado,the hand-clap of lightning,but all agreeing with...http://popafrica.com/sunday-african-poetry-special-will-prounounce-name-naett-leopold-s-senghor/

1 Like

Re: Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. by whitemosquito(f): 7:23am On Dec 01, 2014
hmmm. i remember this poem!! From my High school days!! Thanks for reminding me

1 Like

Re: Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. by RothmasPop: 10:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
whitemosquito:
hmmm. i remember this poem!! From my High school days!! Thanks for reminding me
Lol You're welcome bro
Re: Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. by Greyworld: 11:24pm On Dec 01, 2014
Yu just made mi rememba d left handed mrs Bello wif ha yuruba accent wen she tot us dat poem, anoda 1 I luved den was "solitary reaper" by william wordsworth. ....... Den dat play trials of Dedan kimati.

1 Like

Re: Sunday African Poetry Special: “I Will Prounounce Your Name Naett” By Leopold S. by RothmasPop: 6:06pm On Dec 02, 2014
Greyworld:
Yu just made mi rememba d left handed mrs Bello wif ha yuruba accent wen she tot us dat poem, anoda 1 I luved den was "solitary reaper" by william wordsworth. ....... Den dat play trials of Dedan kimati.
Lol Yeah True Solitary Reaper was nice too!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Wife I Never Had / The Big Mummy (18+) / Top 10 Nairaland Stories Of The Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.