Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter (891 Views)

Looking For Aggressive,vibrant,goal Getter Entrepreneur,investors& Distributors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by ducii: 12:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
Rather than basking in the euphoria of being a new bride in the city, Iyabo Saudat Lawal decided to look within for what to do to support the family.

She eventually discovered her innate business acumen and with just a little capital, she started trading.

Fondly called ‘Iya beji’ (Yoruba phrase for ‘mother of twins’) by her customers, she started her business by hawking sweets and cigarettes from Amukoko (a suburb in Lagos), where she lives with her husband and children, to Apapa and then back to Amukoko.

‘I use to tell myself say one day I go get my own shop.’ That optimism that she would one day have a shop to sell her goods kept her going despite the challenges of transporting goods on her head virtually everyday for years.

Out of her daily profit she was able to set aside at least N300 ($1.7) weekly in order to make her dream a reality.

With a savings of N150,000 ($898), she was able to rent a shop in 2005 after building her customer base for 25 years. Located in Apapa, the shop was stocked with biscuits, sweets, beverages and household toiletries.

Having made a name for herself as a whole seller, she added retailing to her business plan. Sales were booming and she made between N40,000 ($239) and N50,000($299) daily.

But with the current growing competition, business has slowed its pace. However, she is still able to close the day with N30,000 ($179) in sales.

A mother of six children, she strived to give her children what she never had – education.

Currently, she has four university graduates while her last two children are awaiting admission into the university. Isn’t she worthy of commendation and emulation?

A great role model to her children and seven grand children, she shows no signs of slowing down as she hopes to open even more stores to sell her goods.

[img]http://businessdayonline.com/wp-content/themes/transcript/transcript/timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fbusinessdayonline.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F11%2FDSC_0061.jpg&q=90&w=150&h=113&zc=1[/img]

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/11/meet-iya-ibeji-the-go-getter-2/#.VHxN5tLF8wI
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by iykofias(m): 12:50pm On Dec 01, 2014
Inspirational but not true
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by ducii: 1:26pm On Dec 01, 2014
iykofias:

how is it not true?
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by CzarRex: 1:41pm On Dec 01, 2014
iykofias:
you sef, wetin u don achieve?
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by ducii: 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2014
CzarRex:

A beg ask me oh, A very inspirational story about how hard work and sheer determination made somebody successful, and this one is saying the story is not true.
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by iykofias(m): 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2014
CzarRex:
mumu, u lack d sligtest unit of a brain cell, so i av to achieve sometin to be able to decipher a true fact from a children bed time story?. U sound so silly i wont b surprise if u have attempted to use ur dick as a pencil. Cheers
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by CzarRex: 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2014
iykofias:
mumu, u lack d sligtest unit of a brain cell, so i av to achieve sometin to be able to decipher a true fact from a children bed time story?. U sound so silly i wont b surprise if u have attempted to use ur dick as a pencil. Cheers
dis is where I know dat u sincerely really dnt have common sense. Cnt u God forsaken idiot defend an argument without resultin to insults..My friend grow up jor! Nd stop bhavin like a kid!
Re: Meet Iya Ibeji, The Go-getter by iykofias(m): 2:24pm On Dec 01, 2014
CzarRex:
dis is where I know dat u sincerely really dnt have common sense. Cnt u God forsaken idiot defend an argument without resultin to insults..My friend grow up jor! Nd stop bhavin like a kid!
u insinuate i was under-achieve wit a stray question, n u wia xpecting a frndly chat from me. U'r very weird

(1) (Reply)

Latasha Ngwube Unveiled As Face Ofkonga Plus Size, Stuns In Promophotos / The New Way To Do Oil And Gas Business In Nigeria. / I Need A Fairly Used Ice Block Machine At An Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.