Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled (2296 Views)

A Lebanese Juice Manufacturing Plant In Kano: Sickening Images / Don’t Ruin Your Liver With Harmful Habits / Don’t Let Me Die, Lady Bathed With Acid By Ex-lover Cries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by lalasticlala(m): 2:43am On Dec 02, 2014
Fruit juice sounds so totally healthy. Drinking a sweet drink made from apples or oranges surely must be about a thousand times better than drinking a Coke or a Pepsi. Many parents would rather cut off their arm than put a nasty old soda in their baby’s sippy cup. Yet they go ahead and pour sickeningly sweet, sugar-laden apple or orange juice in their little ones’ cups and flood their fresh little bodies with one of the most dangerous elements known to man-sugar. CBS Health Watch reports,

A growing body of science is linking sweet drinks, natural or otherwise, to a host of child health concerns, everything from bulging bellies to tooth decay. “All of these beverages are largely the same. They are 100 percent sugar,” Dr. David Ludwig, an expert on pediatric obesity at Children’s Hospital Boston, said recently. “Juice is only minimally better than soda.”?

Well-known health advocate Dr. Joseph Mercola refers to fruit juice as “soda’s evil twin.”

When you pick up a bottle of juice at your local grocery store, you may notice several things on the label that are very deceptive. First, you may notice the sugar and carbs don’t seem as high as what you read on your soda label. But not so fast! Check out the portion size and you will probably find it does not represent the entire bottle. Factor in the amount of sugar and carbs for the whole bottle and you’ll see that the fruit juice has as much sugar as the soda has, ounce for ounce-and in some instances more.

Another deception (and this is not limited to just fruit juices) is the bold pronouncement “No sugar added.” Yes, it does mean that there is no sugar added, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. There is a pretty good reason why they added no sugar-the fruit juice was totally saturated with sugar already. And if it isn’t sweet enough in its original state, they can simply extract a little water and it will become proportionately sweeter- and they still haven’t added a grain of sugar! The key is not whether sugar has been added; it is how many grams of sugar you are bombarding your body with when you drink that glass of juice.

And then there are the “fruit drinks.”

These are doubly deceptive. They mix a tiny bit of fruit juice with a lot of water, throw in a little color, and then dump in loads of sugar. To make up for what they take away

they add a vitamin or two and proudly call it “fruit drink.”

source: http://leadership.ng/style/392464/fruit-juice-dont-fooled
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Movesz(m): 2:45am On Dec 02, 2014
Hmm really
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 02, 2014
Wow.. Educative piece.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by whirlwind7(m): 3:49am On Dec 02, 2014
Any discerning person ought to have realized this. There is simply no way natural, untampered with fruit juice could taste as sweet as the bottled ones. Just get a bottle of any juice, be it apple, orange, pineapple...any fruit. Then get fresh fruits to compare the tastes. Unless your taste buds are defective, you should notice the higher sugar content of the bottled juice.

Also, I think some amount of CO2 is added to the mix, to make it slightly fizzy (though not anywhere near as those in sodas) as well as preservatives for a longer shelf life. Natural juice with nothing added CANNOT have such long shelf life of several months as bottled juice, except it was kept frozen.

1 Like

Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 4:21am On Dec 02, 2014
Very educative,we learn everyday... most kids i know won't go to school or better still,will cry their lungs out if "bo bo" is not in their lunch box. For me,i prefer putting fruits in their lunch box,its more healthier...like diced apples,fingers of bananas than those packaged poisons.

1 Like

Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by SirHouloo(m): 5:10am On Dec 02, 2014
But I still like am sha.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by englishmart(m): 5:15am On Dec 02, 2014
what's my biz. With fruit juices?
Wines don finish for market
?
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Skillfullulu(m): 6:16am On Dec 02, 2014
englishmart:
what's my biz. With fruit juices?
Wines don finish for market
?
oloti... Lolz
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Seun(m): 6:17am On Dec 02, 2014
Not local content.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Isiterere(m): 7:13am On Dec 02, 2014
great one, thank God the op is diversifying .
From MB sucking thread to a very informative thread.
Change is the only constant thing

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by lalasticlala(m): 7:22am On Dec 02, 2014
Isiterere:
great one, thank God the op is diversifying .
From MB sucking thread to a very informative thread.
Change is the only constant thing

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Seanixking: 8:30am On Dec 02, 2014
Dnt knw what to comment
*****yawning*****
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Ariyke: 9:07am On Dec 02, 2014
Thanks for the info
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by iceberylin(m): 9:21am On Dec 02, 2014
So we should drink only water undecided

2 Likes

Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 02, 2014
Okay...are u saying make we no drink fruit juice again? Okay ooo
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Ezedon(m): 9:21am On Dec 02, 2014
I thought we have NAFDAC that regulates our food why are they not looking into the chemical content and give us d best
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Jostico: 9:22am On Dec 02, 2014
ops thank you. But but can i get one free?
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by stnwani(m): 9:22am On Dec 02, 2014
Thank God for the info,but guy juice sweet no be small,how i wan take leave those sweet goodness?

I hope to start making my own pure fruit juice all by myself!
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nelsizzy(m): 9:23am On Dec 02, 2014
Nah 2day u knw say sum Nigerian products r harmful tu d health
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by OCTAVO: 9:23am On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by AriDsexy(f): 9:31am On Dec 02, 2014
This also depends on d kind of food juice u buy or drink,that is not so say ur not correct.

Thanks for d info.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 02, 2014
Nice info, but we can't help it. I drink fruit juice like my life depends on it, i only make my pineapple juice myself, because i seem to have this dry throat anytime i take packaged pineapple juice.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by slightlyMad(f): 10:19am On Dec 02, 2014
We simply have SON to blame, SON is supposed to have a system in place to periodically check all these things but NO,
all the canned drinks, juice, beans, beef, corn
that we call "enjoyment" is killing us and we dont even notice it

below are some of the survivors of cancer and the succumbed that i can remember

Prof. Dora Akunyili
ronke oshodi oke's sister
ronke oshodi oke's stylist currently need donation
Tuface's dad
wole soyinka survived it
Karen Igho of BBA
Pamela Ofoegbu of Ebonylife TV
Hon. Femi Adelakun of Zentury pictures
Sisi Carol of Face2Face TV series
Nollywood's Geraldine Ekeocha
Mrs. Remi Abiola of Nollywood yoruba
Nollywood director Taiwo Bello
Dr. Olusola Saraki
Remi Osholake AKA Remi Lagos
Sam Ojebode of Ex-Green Eagles
Yusuf Jibo of NTA
Clara, wife of Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State
Maryam Babangida
Gani Fawehinmi
Alaere Alaibe, wife of Bayelsa-born politician, Timi Alaibe
NTA ace broadcaster, Yinka Craig
evangelist, Sonny Okosuns
Roseline Ogbemudia, wife of the eldest son of Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia, former governor of Edo State
sister of Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State, Evangelist Bimpe Oluwayose-Sorinolu

forgive me, i can't list all

Buy raw fruits and blend it,
stay off carcinogenic juice
live longer.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 02, 2014
^^^ This moniker tho. There's nothing one wouldn't find on NL.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by itsabdul(m): 11:18am On Dec 02, 2014
You have said it all, fruit juice is more beneficial and healthier to our body. Thanks for the infor.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by dominique(f): 11:54am On Dec 02, 2014
They write on their packs that the juices has no artificial sweetners or preservatives but I know that's a lie. I don't think that's enough reason to stop consuming the drinks altogether. Moderation saves lives
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 02, 2014
The more reason i prefer Alomo bitters,lol.

Just kidding.
Re: Fruit Juice: Don’t Be Fooled by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2014
Have always known this. Too many deception in its advert,as if the regulatory body isn't aware..

How can a fruit juice be 100% natural,when a preservative is needed to preserve it.

(1) (Reply)

10 Warning Signs You Have A STD / NMA Strike Update!! / How To Get To Yaba Fom Mile 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.