Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. (911 Views)

Some Common Terms, Abbreviations & Slangs Used On Nairaland & Their Meanings. / Top 10 Best PPC (pay Per Click) Publisher Networks For 2014 / On-page SEO Vs Off-page SEO: Which Is More Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by WebHostingPal: 2:50am On Dec 03, 2014
Since nothing tasty going on in this webmaster forum, I decide to throw in something fresh.

Optimising your websites for top ranking on Google can be very challenging, it's challenging enough for those of us that know how to go about it, not to talk of those that have little or no knowledge on how how to go about it.

I've been in the web industry for a long time now, with all the necessary webmaster's qualifications you can think of, so I'm far more than an average web master. But it's up to anyone to take my words for it on not.

I recently came about some Naija based businesses that choose to promote their companies online by participating in Google PPC program shocked REALLY?

I can go into the Google PPC program, strip it apart with words and analysis. I understand that some people may not understand what I'm trying to say, so I will try my best to it simple. Perhaps let me write it as a story. grin grin

This is a story about two competitive friends; Tina and Paul, they were both in separate but similar businesses, they both have same audience as their targets and were both determined to outsell each other.

Both Tina and Paul sell fashion related products and they both got their merchandise from the same manufacturer. In the bid to outsell each other for profit, they both independently decided to launch a website with the hope to attract as many customers as possible. These guys were sworn rivals in the fashion industry and none of them was willing to step-down for the other. Well would you ? grin

All the hassles had been going on for quite a while and not long, they both realised that no much sales coming in from their online websites.

Then in a bid to do something about their online loss, they both independently decided to contact Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) companies for advice on how to better promote their businesses online. So here is what happened next;

PAY PER CLICK SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION

Paul contacted this "SEO Guru A", who helped in optimising Paul's website for certain keywords and phrases. Paul and "SEO Guru A" agreed on a monthly payment term, but after 2 months, Paul was disappointed because he couldn't see any increase in sales. Paul immediately cancelled the contracts with "SEO Guru A". Paul took things to a different level, he signed up with the "Google AdWords Program", he submitted his credit card and entered his keywords, phrases in the Google PPC program and before you can say hey! Paul was enjoying a huge sum of traffic to his website... Hurray! Paul said, knowing that his website is displayed in Google's fashion related search results.

Tina noticed that Paul's website is being displayed in every Google's fashion related search results, What?? she said, how did he do that? how come his website is at the top page of all fashion related results. I like to know how he did it.

So Tina began her own journey of finding out how Paul's website is getting displayed in Google's search results.

ORGANIC SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION

After a thorough search, Tina came about "SEO Guru B" who had been in the game for a long time, he explained the differences, advantages and disadvantages between Organic SEO and PPC and the likes. He assured Tina that he would "do his best" to get Tina to Google's top 10. And they both agreed to a monthly plan in which Tina will cancel in 6 months, should "SEO Guru B" fail to achieve Tina's SEO objective.

Unlike Paul that subscribed to Google's PPC program, Tina with the advice of "SEO Guru B" settled for "Organic SEO"

Bit by bit and within 2 Months, Tina's website managed to reach Google's Top 30. Although, just like Paul at this stage, Tina was concerned and consulted "SEO Guru B" who advised her to be "Patient" and reminded Tina to cancel their agreement should he fail to deliver by the specified time frame. Reluctantly, Tina accepted.

By the third month, Tina realised that she was getting more visit to her website and more people were calling in and sending emails inquiring about her products. She was amazed, then she tried to search for her website keywords using Google search, then right in front of her, she couldn't believe her eyes. Her website was on Google's top 10 position 2. She quickly rang "SEO Guru B" and said in high pitch voice, thank you, what did you do? how did you do it? You are great! she said to "SEO Guru B".

Tina continue to enjoy huge volume of traffic till today, she has since renewed her contract with "SEO Guru B" and her business booming at low SEO cost.

A LESSON FOR EVERY ONE

Now back to Paul, because of the fashion industry keywords and phrases he was bidding for were extremely high, Paul was basically competing with well known and long established International companies, he was always default in his PPC campaign, despite all the thousands of $$$$$ he had paid for Google's PPC program, he lost a lot of money, the amount of sales he made from the PPC was not up to 2% of the amount he paid into Google's PPC.

At the end, Paul couldn't keep up with the program and Google had no choice than to disable his Google account for lack of credit... grin grin grin That's Google's way of saying wham bam thank you ma'am... grin grin grin

Since Paul's failed to credit his Google PPC, his adverts seized to appear in Google's search results, and now Paul's his back to square one and worse. Sadly Pauls is badly broke, while Tina is still dominating Google's Top 10 and enjoying all the traffic and paying far less in maintaining her SEO unlike Paul.

So to all my friends out there, I hope you enjoy this little story. I deal with a lot of people every day from different countries helping them resolving their Google PPC and SEO issues. I have contacted Google regarding similar issue quite a number of occasions where customers felt they'd been badly maltreated. The Google team in Ireland know me now because of the number of issues I had to deal with for theirs and my clients. So my advice for anyone paying for Google or similar PPC program should stop, unless you have got money to gamble with. If you don't have the money to compete with the big boys, please don't venture into it.

I will bet 100% on Organic SEO than any PPC program. You know the old maxim, "If you want something done right, do it yourself" or hire someone that can organically optimise your website using White Hat Trick. Google and similar PPC programs will most likely cost you more than you make, so what's the point ?

For you to know if Google really cares about your business, here is a test for you, especially for those that are already participating in Google PPC.

Let assume that your business is based in Nigeria and your target audience is Nigeria only. Then let also assume that you have a credit card on file with your Google PPC. (Remember by participating in Google PPC that your advert will be globally distributed, including those countries you can not provide your service to.) If you are not sure about this, then I advice you to go and read the Google AdWord policy again.

Next step, login to your website root and limit access to all countries except Nigeria using ".htaccess, after all you are only providing your service or products to Nigeria? so your adverts should only be visible to those customers that you can readily provide to.

Once you are done, take note of the action Google will take against you next. "Warning - Google will suspend your PPC campaign," but don't worry, your account will be reactivated once you undo the country limitation I mentioned above, after all they still want your money. grin grin That way you will see exactly what I mean by Google not having interest in your business, either you make money or not.

SO WHERE DOES ALL YOUR MONEY GO
Basically when you subscribe to Google's AdWords program, your money will be freely distributed all over the place grin grin to those that display your Google Adverts on their websites, you basically make some people rich... grin grin and that is why Google's AdWords is so popular that everyone one want a piece of it.

Because most Tom, Dick and Harry jump on Google Adwords, and AdWords advertisers complained about money vanishing just like that with little or no ROI, Google had no choice than to change policy regarding their AdWords program and this is the reason every Joe Blog webmasters will not have the chance to get free money again.

Now one a webmaster must have a meaningful website with quality and unique contents "like this one grin" before Google can accept a website to participate for the money grabbing program. If the advertisers had not raised their concerns, left to Google, everyone will still be getting free money now either they have a great website or notgrin

Well!, there you go, you have it all! hope this make those people considering the Google PPC campaign to think twice before wasting wasting money. I know this is a long story... grin grin atleast you've have something fresh and quality to read in this webmaster community.

The story is fictional, BUT sorounded by real life experiences of people I have helped and worked with in the past.

I have optimised so many website now, been there, done it and got a t-shirt... grin I have been in the industry for years and I have helped a lot of people with their personal blogs and websites. Design, development, SEO optimisation, etc I'm a co-founder of now acquired http://www.hostnigeria.com.ng, so I'm not new in the game at all.

I have worked in the IT sector, not only in Nigeria, but luckily in other countries as well.
Re: Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by cheavroi(m): 4:28am On Dec 03, 2014
I love your analogy and you must be a good story teller but unfortunately there are some facts that I need to clarify so other people reading this will not get it wrong

1. Your difference between PPC, Organic SEO and Adsense is mixed up.

Organic SEO is the process of getting your website free traffic on search engines, PPC is the process of paying to get traffic while adsense is a method Google uses to advertise merchant's products on partner websites. So if your opt in for PPC, it is a totally different game if you opt in for adsense.

2. Except in rare cases, it is not possible to rank a website homepage in two months. ( I can ask you to take up this challenge if you do not agree with me )

Apart from this two issues, like I said, you did a good job trying to tell your story.
Re: Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by WebHostingPal: 5:35am On Dec 03, 2014
cheavroi:
I love your analogy and you must be a good story teller but unfortunately there are some facts that I need to clarify so other people reading this will not get it wrong

1. Your difference between PPC, Organic SEO and Adsense is mixed up.

Organic SEO is the process of getting your website free traffic on search engines, PPC is the process of paying to get traffic while adsense is a method Google uses to advertise merchant's products on partner websites. So if your opt in for PPC, it is a totally different game if you opt in for adsense.

2. Except in rare cases, it is not possible to rank a website homepage in two months. ( I can ask you to take up this challenge if you do not agree with me )

Apart from this two issues, like I said, you did a good job trying to tell your story.

Yeah, I know exactly what they aresmiley thanks for joining in and thanks for pointing out the AdSense bit, I mean AdWords, That's MS Words for you. I knew that not alot of people will respond to this post, except those that understand the concept.. Pretty hard to put it all together.

I've been doing this for years now and I will never mislead anyone.

cheavroi:
( I can ask you to take up this challenge if you do not agree with me )
Did you really mean that ? cheesy I have done this plenty of time buddy smiley and it's not the first time I would be challenged as such. If you want to challenge I'm on board. Give me a real project and I will prove to you that I can achieve Google Top rank in two months. BUT you have to pay me tho as I don't work for free.

You need to realise that there is not enough competition in Nigeria unlike the UK, US that online competition is huge in almost every aspect of industry, this was how I learned to deal with SEO issues, dining the big boys.

The last work I did was on http://www.hostnigeria.com.ng - If you check how old that domain is and check it's Google position, including Yahoo, Bing etc. Then come back and tell me it's not possible to achieve top rank in 2 months.

Depending on the keywords, I can achieve top rank in three weeks, it's possible, what are you on about ? cheesy I'm not making this up, I have done it in 3 weeks few a times before.
Re: Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by cheavroi(m): 4:26pm On Dec 03, 2014
Hi,

Okay. I will just keep shut at this stage.

Thanks
Re: Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by WebHostingPal: 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
cheavroi:
Hi,

Okay. I will just keep shut at this stage.

Thanks

wink In between, I visited your website and I could see that you offer SEO services. Great!

I noticed that you use whmcs for your client area. I can integrate whmcs with your website template for you if you like?

If you are interested, I can do that for you for a small fee.
Re: Organic SEO Vs Pay Per Click SEO - In Layman's Terms Feel Free To Join In. by cheavroi(m): 2:26pm On Dec 04, 2014
Hi,

Thanks. You just blew my mind away.

I love it when people pay attention to details ( I am guilty of that something).

Great offer but I am thinking of shutting down that section. Moving to a CRM.

(1) (Reply)

Add Adsense Below Post Title Of Mobile Blogger Templates / Reliable And Cheap Web Hosting / [help] How To Fix And Apply These Adsense Suggestions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.