Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,923 members, 7,824,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

How To Format A Write-protected Usb/flash Drive - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Format A Write-protected Usb/flash Drive (1461 Views)

Easy Steps To Format A Window7 Computer / Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / Help: HowTo Format A Write Protected Flash Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Format A Write-protected Usb/flash Drive by randieboy: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2014

Hi Guys, welcome to this tutorial on how to format a right protected usb flash drive with and without software. I got the motivation to write this tutorial when a friend messaged me on Facebook asking if i could help him format his right protected usb drive, which i did. I then thought, why not share this everyone else, there might be lots of people with facing similar difficulty.

So, first i’ll show you how to do this without software, then i’ll give you a of some tools you could use that would do the job.

Formatting a Right Protected Usb Flash Drive Without Software

Steps;

1. Click start menu on your computer and click on run, or simply press windows key + R. (See 20 Essential keyboard shorcuts)

2. When run opens, type in regedit. In the regedit window go to this directory; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\

format_write_protected_usb_drive

3. Right click the control folder, select new, then click key and rename the new key #1 folder into
StorageDevicePolicies

regedit_usb_right_protection

4. Right click Storage DevicePolicies folder and select new DWORD(32-bit) Value
for 32-bit Operating System and select new DWORD(64-bit) Value
for 64-bit Operating System

Storage_device_policies

5. rename dword newer folder into WriteProtect, then double click WriteProtect
and change the value data into 0 with hexadecimal base, Then close regedit

6. Go to my computer and refresh it 5 times without doing anything to your usb drive, then eject it properly

7. plug in your usb again into your computer and format it using exfat instead of fat32

Now you have formatted your right protected usb drive without using software.

For better explanation, see full article with picture guide (http://www.randietech.com/2014/12/how-to-format-a-right-protected-usb-flash-drive.html) Also, if you think this is too much hassle, i recommended two powerful softwares that can fromat your right protected drive effortlessly. See full article for more info.
Re: How To Format A Write-protected Usb/flash Drive by Bunker(m): 8:19am On Dec 03, 2014
Can it also work for memory cards
Re: How To Format A Write-protected Usb/flash Drive by randieboy: 8:36am On Dec 03, 2014
Neva tried it but if d sdcard is right protected u cld try similar means if it would work for you.....if it does please share with us
Bunker:
Can it also work for memory cards

(1) (Reply)

Laptop Accessories For Sale / HP Laptop For Sale(very Sharp) 45k / I Need A Cheap Gaming Laptop With Good Battery.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.