Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,367 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb (25122 Views)

10 Misused English Words That Make Smart People Look Silly / List Of Commonly Used Words In Nigeria That Are Not In Dictionary / 10 Words And Phrarses That Too Many People Say Incorrectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by DonaldGenes(m): 11:16am On Dec 04, 2014
Ishilove:
Lose and loose. So many people use these two interchangeably.
Sure, it's rife amongst "Nairalanders" and mostly the Jambites
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Shakurpaul2: 11:16am On Dec 04, 2014
God will help us
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Vivly(f): 11:17am On Dec 04, 2014
I actually saw 'are my' in place of 'Am I'
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by omenka(m): 11:18am On Dec 04, 2014
One that really gets to me is the wrong usage of "better-off" and "typical". angry

It irritates me no end when I see folks write, for instance, "Nigeria is better off than Ghana". They take it "better off" is a comparative term just like "better" whereas the term is only applicable to "situations" and not "places or things" and CAN NOT be followed by "than".

Eg: The country would be better off without the terrorists.

Nigeria is better off dealing with Russia than US. (Notice where "than" comes in).

Uche is better off schooling in France.

On "typical", MOST people (a friend of mine is very much guilty of this) take it "typical" means "local" (as per unexposed or uncivilised).

For instance, a lady looking all tight and shiit might be arguing with someone and then go "look at this typical human being!!" And for her mind she don drop punch line!! angry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "typical" means "common" as per "norm".

So when you think you are insulting someone by calling them "typical", you're just as. "typical" as they are. smiley

1 Like

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by IAMGEJ(m): 11:19am On Dec 04, 2014
Na wa o... English kor dey hard pass maths oh, abi we don get further/farther english?

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Uyi168: 11:27am On Dec 04, 2014
Presently..nd at present
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Koolking(m): 11:30am On Dec 04, 2014
Even MSc holders in Nigeria misuse 'Been' and 'Being' in their written expressions
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 04, 2014
ammyluv2002:
Yeah, we have a lot to learn but lets not forget that English is not our native language grin
Don't you think it's "let's"
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by ammyluv2002(f): 11:35am On Dec 04, 2014
Rjasan:
Haba! You should know that's an error now...o ga o!
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by 1one: 11:35am On Dec 04, 2014
Many of us would continue to speak and especially write error-generous statements particularly because it's become a habit to use "short hand texting /abbreviations" instead of well laid out words...social media texting has caused so much decay to our sense of written expression and it's so unfortunate... How would someone know that there's a tangible difference between been and being when they always use "bn" or some other person using "m" in place of "I'm"... you don't expect such a person to know that" I'm" and "am" are two very different expressions

It's even funny that we still fall prey to this social media texting nonsense... I mean most smart phones have autocorrect features, so how come we still throw about this useless use of short hands every where... It's a very annoying something to be honest angry
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by PrettieJ(f): 11:38am On Dec 04, 2014
Wadraj:
Op what of It's and its?
It's = it is or it has
Its = possessive pronominal adjective, it refers to belonging to or done by it. Eg, its place, its book etc.

1 Like

Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by jtroy(m): 11:46am On Dec 04, 2014
Just 4 likes after all this stuff. Common ppl this is good. Read it!
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by micolaj: 11:52am On Dec 04, 2014
Rjasan:
grammar checker
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by lumides(m): 11:57am On Dec 04, 2014
Efficiency generally describes the extent to
which time, effort or cost is well used for
the intended task or purpose. It is often
used with the specific purpose of relaying
the capability of a specific application of
effort to produce a specific outcome
effectively with a minimum amount or
quantity of waste, expense, or
unnecessary effort. "Efficiency" has widely
varying meanings in different disciplines.
The term "efficient" is very much
confused and misused with the term
"effective". In general, efficiency is a
measurable concept, quantitatively
determined by the ratio of output to
input. " Effectiveness", is a relatively
vague, non-quantitative concept, mainly
concerned with achieving objectives. In
several of these cases, efficiency can be
expressed as a result as percentage of
what ideally could be expected, hence
with 100% as ideal case. This does not
always apply, not even in all cases where
efficiency can be assigned a numerical
value, e.g. not for specific impulse .
A simple way of distinguishing between
efficiency and effectiveness is the saying,
"Efficiency is doing things right, while
Effectiveness is doing the right things."
This is based on the premise that
selection of objectives of a process are
just as important as the quality of that
process.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by LordReed(m): 11:58am On Dec 04, 2014
“Can you bring an appetiser to John's party”

Unhelpful example. If I am at the party then the statement is correct.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by dyabman(m): 12:00pm On Dec 04, 2014
what of Boko and Haram ?
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by 0b1nna: 12:02pm On Dec 04, 2014
ammyluv2002:
Yeah, we have a lot to learn but lets not forget that English is not our native language grin

Yeah dear. One should learn to say I LOVE YOU in the various languages we speak here in Nigeria. grin You never can tell where you'll marry from.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 04, 2014
PrettieJ:

It's = it is or it has
Its = possessive pronominal adjective, it refers to belonging to or done by it.
Yea! I was only drawing his attention to that.
People misuse the two a lot!
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by laykhorn(m): 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
There are a lot of them..
Momentary and Momentous
Judicial and Judicious
Continual and Continuous
Impudence and Imprudence
via and by
Under and Underneath
Apparent and Obvious
Belligerent and Bellicose
Doldrum and Disdain
Spectacle and glass
Toaster.... Most people dnt even knw the meaning.
Thank God for my Dad's scrutiny. He would just come and ask you for d difference in d meaning. I used to hate it but now I wish he told me more.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Emodeee: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
kelechiMarie
post=28583239:

Great write-up but i know most of them thanks to my
english teacherkissI used to think she was mean but i now i know
betterkiss

wah r u feeling lyk nw?
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Fresia01(f): 12:27pm On Dec 04, 2014
ever heard of been and being people can misuse these two words....
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by piagetskinner(m): 12:29pm On Dec 04, 2014
Bibol:
What about swapping "Am" for "I'm"? Lots of people make that mistake

Am in France , Am schooling in France, Am not interested etc

angry angry
very true...even people i thought to be well read
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by cao(f): 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
Don't forget about:
Let's and lets
Let's is a contraction of "let us," while lets means allows. I know I've fallen into this several times thanks to stupid autocorrect.

Don't even get me started on the incorrect usage of the apostrophe to denote plurals - it's keeping up with the Joneses/Kadashians NOT Jones's or Kadashian's. It's used for possessives and contractions! Chei! If you start talking about the grocer's apostrophe, I might actually commit a felony on you! Yes, it's really a pet peeve for me.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by LordReed(m): 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2014
laykhorn:
There are a lot of them..

Spectacle and glass
Toaster.... Most people dnt even knw the meaning.

Excuse me, what is the difference between spectacle(s) and glasses?

BTW "toaster" is slang so it is permitted whatever the original meaning.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by KLand(m): 1:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
Thank you
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by watchindelta(m): 1:47pm On Dec 04, 2014
abeg I no go school n I wan learn pls me?
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by jahbiz: 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2014
Where are the ladies that speak with their mouth close as if they are the inventors of Eng Lang? We need you to contribute your own quotas.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Askthelawyer: 2:08pm On Dec 04, 2014
Yes nicely written and also because we are use to chatting in short hand a lot of people send official mails and letters with abbreviations like "pple" instead of people, becos instead of because and so on.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 04, 2014
Raychux23:

Put up d ways they cn b use.
Contribute ur quota
@Op, it should have been...its collar is blue...for the neutered dog.

In the future/in future... The former goes for sth expected not now while the latter means now on.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 04, 2014
Fresia01:
ever heard of been and being people can misuse these two words....
yes...assistance/assistant too.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2014
Askthelawyer:
Yes nicely written and also because we are use used to chatting in short hand a lot of people send official mails and letters with abbreviations like "pple" instead of people, becos instead of because and so on.
Re: 40 Incorrectly Used Words That Can Make You Look Dumb by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 04, 2014
Raychux23:

It depends. Effective/efficient can both b interchangeably used in ur example above but in other contest, they cannot cos they both have their unique usage

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cultists Disrupt Examination In Osun State University, Osogbo Campus / Professor Fawole Adeniran Is Dead / Dangote University Kano Develops Robot To Support Staff Domestic Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.