Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna (5207 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by babaeko1: 2:34pm On Dec 07, 2014
Hi All.

I had a recent bad experience with a 2004 Honda pilot, the transmission just literally died. It turned out that its a common problem with the Pilot. I am looking at other alternatives and I note that the highlander whilst reliable from what I gather, may not really suite my taste. The RX on the other side is a bit better, just notice its rather expensive.

I don't know much about the Acura MDX, I know its Honda that make it but I am not sure if this is a car that is suitable for Nigeria (parts, servicing, general mechanic stuff)

Anyone know other Jeeps below 2005 that may be well suited to Nigeria. I look forward to hearing from you all.
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by AutosBay(m): 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2014
Would suggest you go for the Lexus RX also a subsidiary of Toyota, since you are having issues with the pilot then you might avoid the Acura MDX since they are from the same Honda Industry.

1 Like

Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by expert101(m): 11:01pm On Dec 07, 2014
Acura MDX is the worst! High rate of transmission failures.

Most people don't change their transmission fluid on time or don't even bother to replace/check the level. It is important to note that if you use the wrong fluid it could damage your gear. Information is key!
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by mishooo(m): 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2014
expert101:

Generalizing a brand as same wouldn't make you sound smart. As you can google online to find out, the frequent transmission issues has been rectified in Acura MDX since 2003. get your facts right please.

OP, ask people that are using the cars you have interest in and not those that dont have first hand experience. i have been using my '06 Acura MDX for almost 3yrs and its been a very strong SUV. Am planning on getting a much later version of it as well or a German brand SUV.
Go for it!!

2 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by cecegorz(m): 5:39pm On Dec 08, 2014
I was in your shoes a while back, and I also had exactly the same list.
From all the online reviews I read, On comfort and reliability, fuel economy, etc... the rating goes like Rx330 - Highlander - MDx - Pilot, in a descending order. Year range is '03-'08 or thereabout.
Naturally, Rx330 became my priority, and I hunted it down like crazy, unfortunately a combination of factors; VIN titles, color, price etc didn't allow me pick up any of it.
Then I saw one highlander Limited Edition, and called for it. The moment the ride was brought to me, I fell in love at first sight grin
The physical appearance of engine, body, interiors (leather with wood finish dashboard/console) underneath, etc was so tight and spotless.
So, I called for the VIN report, it was also thoroughly Clean. I settled for it right away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by Export1: 4:45pm On Dec 09, 2014
10 Reasons Why You May want to Buy a 2014 Toyota Highlander:

Safety
Feel and Look
Technology
Impressive Cabin
Driving Impressions
Performance
Solid Storage Space
Fuel Economy
Costs
Well Received SUV
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2014
babaeko1:
Hi All.

I had a recent bad experience with a 2004 Honda pilot, the transmission just literally died. It turned out that its a common problem with the Pilot. I am looking at other alternatives and I note that the highlander whilst reliable from what I gather, may not really suite my taste. The RX on the other side is a bit better, just notice its rather expensive.

I don't know much about the Acura MDX, I know its Honda that make it but I am not sure if this is a car that is suitable for Nigeria (parts, servicing, general mechanic stuff)

Anyone know other Jeeps below 2005 that may be well suited to Nigeria. I look forward to hearing from you all.
go for the rx because in terms of safety durability maintenance and even the electronics in it the rx is all g'd up.
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by chucky234(m): 9:54pm On Dec 12, 2014
expert101:

Most people don't change their transmission fluid on time or don't even bother to replace/check the level. It is important to note that if you use the wrong fluid it could damage your gear. Information is key!
NOVICE spotted

3 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by drpossibilities(m): 1:46pm On Jun 02, 2019
mishooo:

Generalizing a brand as same wouldn't make you sound smart. As you can google online to find out, the frequent transmission issues has been rectified in Acura MDX since 2003. get your facts right please.

OP, ask people that are using the cars you have interest in and not those that dont have first hand experience. i have been using my '06 Acura MDX for almost 3yrs and its been a very strong SUV. Am planning on getting a much later version of it as well or a German brand SUV.
Go for it!!

I just got the MDX, 2004 Model. How do you manage the issue of recommended fuel that is Premium Unleaded Fuel.
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by 9icetoo(m): 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2019
drpossibilities:

I just got the MDX, 2004 Model. How do you manage the issue of recommended fuel that is Premium Unleaded Fuel.
It's not an issue for the 2004 as it says "recommended" and not "required". You would have experienced slight power loss and reduced performance and maybe occasional pinging it premium pms was required.
Have fun with your car, your engine ecu will adjust to the 87 octane pms we have in Nigeria.
OP, get the highlander. If you can get the 4wd, you'd have the best of both worlds. It's a freaking reliable suv
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by jodeci(m): 7:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Same dilemma right now between 2014 Acura MDX(advance),2013 Hylander and 2014 Honda Pilot.

Third Row is a big factor for me.
Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by donkelz(m): 12:57am On Jun 03, 2019
jodeci:
Same dilemma right now between 2014 Acura MDX(advance),2013 Hylander and 2014 Honda Pilot.

Third Row is a big factor for me.

2013 Highlander! Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Honda Pilot / Acuda MDX / Toyota Highlander / Lexus RX Dilemna by walkbylight(m): 11:16am On Oct 24, 2020
do you have Acura club WhatsApp group like other cars owners?? there should be.
drpossibilities:

(1) (Reply)

Oil Not Showing On Dip Stick / ***hello House! Which Is Better? A Petrol Or A Diesel Engine Car/suv*** / Sienna Gear Box Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.