Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Why Facebook Makes You Sad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Facebook Makes You Sad (698 Views)

Nigerian Nationalism & Identity : What Makes You Tick Tock Naija / Official Languages Of African Countries---very Sad / Why Facebook Makes You Feel Bad About Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Facebook Makes You Sad by ebbymayox(m): 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2014
By Mayo Bayo
Lying on my bed and singing out loudly to Asa’s music-Satan be gone playing in the background, here I was waiting patiently for the pot of rice I left on the cooker to get done. The weekend has just begun and my mood was just good.

A pop sound indicating a new message on Facebook interrupted my song. It was a like notification, a friend just liked my new profile picture .I scrolled through my news feed to catch up on what’s going on around the world with my friends, and I have been offline for like 12 hours.

Scrolling down gradually, I found beautiful pictures of a vacation trip a friend just posted. After flipping through to the last pictures, my mood changed, the happy me all of a sudden became moody. I began yearning for a travel trip. The perception of my friend been happier with those beautiful landmark at his background, took away my mood,. Just to show how “happy” I was, I donated my like on the picture.

This is just among the few people on my friends list whose lives appears to be so perfect that it actually makes me feel bad about my own life.

Am I getting jealous?? Of course yes, is this worth my happiness? Hell No! Comparison is the thief of joy.

I managed to get myself back after I asked myself, do I want to be happy or to feel happier than others.

Using Facebook is not bad for well-being per se, it’s how you relate back. It’s amazing how good a life can look on Facebook. Mr. Zuck did a good job designing Facebook to help make our lives appear perfect.

I like Facebook, I am quite active there and I have learnt lots of stuffs and met quite a number of interesting people. Man is social being, so it shouldn’t be surprising that Facebook became part of our lives. But like every great product, there should always be where to draw the line. Life appears perfect or ideal on Facebook, people are only going to post the “good” things in order to project a certain image/perception of themselves, we all do that or who goes to post about his/her miserable life on Facebook??

There are a lot of people out there that get sad everyday just from their Facebook news feed, for some it’s the like button. A mere button suddenly becomes a common source of dissatisfaction, because he/she believes they are lacking attention judging by the fewer likes compared to some of their friends who had a 1000 likes on a post/picture. Trust me comparison will only lead you to depression. Number of likes on a Facebook picture or post, should remain numbers and not a factor for your happiness. finish reading here-http://www.tlkdrum.com/facebooks-envy-effect/

2 Likes

Re: Why Facebook Makes You Sad by Nobody: 11:56pm On Dec 07, 2014
You nailed it Bro!
Re: Why Facebook Makes You Sad by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
Post to ponder... NYC one
Re: Why Facebook Makes You Sad by ebbymayox(m): 7:48am On Dec 09, 2014
Thanks guys smiley
Re: Why Facebook Makes You Sad by TPIA3: 7:17pm On Dec 12, 2014
Hmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Chogon Pre & Post Construction Cleaning Services / How Many NL Guys Can Still/do This?? / Why Do Nigerians Torch Their Chest After A Handshake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.