Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

??? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ??? (2945 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

??? by iyeayo(f): 7:19am On Dec 04, 2008
hh
Re: ??? by OgidiBoy(m): 7:22am On Dec 04, 2008
Is this in Nigeria?
Re: ??? by jgirl3: 7:23am On Dec 04, 2008
10 big tribal marks?
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Me sef I will oversue her for everything.

Tell her to take it easy. It's a part of our culture. Her mum did not do it out of cruelty. She did it out of the cultural beliefs she had.
Re: ??? by arramyjay: 7:28am On Dec 04, 2008
Yea that is very Good she should sue her.
Re: ??? by tpia: 7:30am On Dec 04, 2008
Re: ??? by iyeayo(f): 10:04am On Dec 04, 2008
OgidiBoy:

Is this in Nigeria?

Her Aunty relocated her Mum with her when she was 6 years of age. Her Dad left her Mum when he couldn't secure a visa to join them. That was about 18 years ago.Now she is out of school with a degree in Business Admin. Her Mum is now a successful practising nurse also in the UK. Since she entered the Uni, she has been blaming her Mum for all the negative comments she gets from friends and how she can't get a boyfriend. Now she is out of Uni and she is finding it difficult to get a job (she thinks its because of her tribal marks).
Re: ??? by spikedcylinder: 11:14am On Dec 04, 2008
Oyinbo mentality has entered her head.
So the solution the issue is suing her mum? What if she looses the case? Then she has lost her mother and other members of her family. I am almost sure her mother didn't do it out of cruelty, she did it out of ignorance. Is it now ok to sue people (especially members of your immediate family) who don't know better?
I pray she looses. That way she can have an ugly face and no family. . . .add no boyfriend, no job and no friends to that and you've got yourself a suicidal candidate.
Ode. undecided
Re: ??? by Riskie(f): 12:50pm On Dec 04, 2008
tpia:

the story sounds fantastic, but if I were her, I'd use the money I was going to hire a lawyer with, to pay for plastic surgery to remove the marks.

Exactly. That's a much more practical idea. But maybe she's doing it to prove a point. Like maybe she wants people to be aware of how this practice hurts people in the modern world and somehow raise awareness so it can be stopped.
Re: ??? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:04pm On Dec 04, 2008
Wow. I'm not even going to touch on how westernization has affected her. I'm just going go focus on the legal aspects. iyeayo, even though I don't really know all there is to know about you're cousin's situation, I personally don't think she should sue her mom. Even moreso, based off the voice of your post, I don't think there's anything you can do to really change her mind. If she's so hellbent on suing her mother, she'll do it. I honestly don't think she has a very strong case though. Reason being that there are certain things people are careful with in legal cases, among those are religion (above all), and culture. Aside from that, beautiful girls go around without tribal marks and they cannot secure a boyfriend or find a job. People go around with tribal marks and they get boyfriend[b]s[/b]/girlfriend[b]s[/b] and attain jobs. Even in the U.S. and U.K., people actively engage in scarification, yet they too get job[b]s[/b] and have boyfriends/girlfriends. So, you're cousin will have to really prove beyond a doubt that those tribal marks are the sole reason for her delima. I'm assuming this will be a civil case, based on what you've told us so far. For that reason, if she wins the case, she'll most likely just get money for emotional distress or something like that (that really all depends on what kind of judge is presiding over the case though). I don't think she has a good chance of winning though, and I hope that she doesn't win.
Re: ??? by kokoye(m): 3:45pm On Dec 04, 2008
Like someone said, she should use that money for a surgery instead.

Very soon, people will start taking their parents to court for not giving birth to them abroad
Re: ??? by Seun(m): 4:58pm On Dec 04, 2008
It's a lovely court case. I hope she wins.
Re: ??? by hotfunmi(f): 5:01pm On Dec 04, 2008
Oyinbo mentality has entered her head.
So the solution the issue is suing her mum? What if she looses the case? Then she has lost her mother and other members of her family. I am almost sure her mother didn't do it out of cruelty, she did it out of ignorance. Is it now ok to sue people (especially members of your immediate family) who don't know better?
I pray she looses. That way she can have an ugly face and no family. . . .add no boyfriend, no job and no friends to that and you've got yourself a suicidal candidate.
Ode
Exactly and she will definitely lose the case on those grounds.
Re: ??? by DavidDylan(m): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2008
she can kill the baby or give it up for adoption . . . in Nigeria of course.
Re: ??? by OBVIOUS(m): 6:47pm On Dec 04, 2008
Funny Topic!!! L O L
Re: ??? by Kweenisha: 7:32pm On Dec 04, 2008
Is this for real?
let her move back to Nigeria na
she can easily get a boyfriend  with her "beauty marks" and her foreign degree will be an added advantage over local graduates in getting a job.
why is she suing just her mother ,she needs to sue her grandmother and her whole village
nonsense!
Re: ??? by Hotstepper(f): 10:27pm On Dec 04, 2008
will sueing her mum remove the tribal marks? she gat a very low self-esteem jo
Re: ??? by bawomolo(m): 5:58am On Dec 05, 2008
the story sounds fantastic, but if I were her, I'd use the money I was going to hire a lawyer with, to pay for plastic surgery to remove the marks.

umm i bet the plastic surgery needed to cover the marks would be more expensive than hiring a lawyer.  she probably is suing for medical expenses and emotion trauma blah blah blah.

Tell her to take it easy. It's a part of our culture. Her mum did not do it out of cruelty. She did it out of the cultural beliefs she had.

would you have the same stance if it's circumcision? just wondering
Re: ??? by iyeayo(f): 8:40pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: ??? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 08, 2008
@ topic

Amazing and amusing. grin

I'd like to see how 10 big tribal marks would fit on those criticizing the girl. I am sure they'd look so beautiful on you and you'd love it because, afterall, na culture, abi? cheesy

Hypocrites! tongue
Re: ??? by Kweenisha: 2:27am On Dec 09, 2008
michelin89:

@ topic

Amazing and amusing. grin

I'd like to see how 10 big tribal marks would fit on those criticizing the girl. I am sure they'd look so beautiful on you and you'd love it because, afterall, na culture, abi? cheesy

Hypocrites! tongue

what will it profit her to sue her mother for it?
Like hotstepper asked,will it make the marks disappear?
she needs to accept herself the way she is and either move on or find surgical help.
Suing her relative for it is a stupid idea.
Re: ??? by Kweenisha: 2:28am On Dec 09, 2008
iyeayo abeg post picture of her face or similar mark make we see
Re: ??? by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 09, 2008
How DH can you sue your mother? esp. when she did what her "culture" demanded from her?

B.T.W, 10 tribal marks? rotflmao!! Funny! grin grin grin grin
Re: ??? by LoveAlways(f): 4:21am On Dec 09, 2008
I hope your cousin wins.  She's doing the right thing.  Her mom gave her a cruel and unusual punishment and deserves to be prosecuted.

Some mothers are just women with twats.  Does her mom have tribal marks across her face Probably not.
Re: ??? by server34(m): 4:45am On Dec 09, 2008
Leopard wan change im spots because he don dey roll wit lion. Na u born yourself? Who tell u say spots no good? Insecurity! They made us hate ourselves and love them instead.

My advice for ur cousin - She should save the money she intends to waste on a lawyer for plastic surgery. I bet she wont win d case anyway. Plus, living life without a mother to appreciate isn't d best thing.
Re: ??? by iyeayo(f): 5:09am On Dec 09, 2008
LoveAlways:

I hope your cousin wins. She's doing the right thing. Her mom gave her a cruel and unusual punishment and deserves to be prosecuted.

Some mothers are just women with twats. Does her mom have tribal marks across her face Probably not.

I just hope I am not leaking too much of someone's identity. Her mum has minus-minus tribal mark, very obvious ones, but not as bad as my dear cousin's
Re: ??? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 09, 2008
Kweenisha:

what will it profit her to sue her mother for it?
Like hotstepper asked,will it make the marks disappear?
she needs to accept herself the way she is and either move on or find surgical help.
Suing her relative for it is a stupid idea.

1. Her mother will realize the pain she has caused her daughter.
2. It won't but believe me it'll be a moral victory.
3. How can she accept herself the way she is when she wasn't like this when she was given birth to? This is just a lie you are trying to give this girl. I can understand if someone turns out to be different out of an accident or some other stupid things they could have avoided. Someone under the excuse that it was accepted by culture deliberately put a condemn on an innocent child.
4. It's not a stupid idea but an idea and also a good one. A moral sentence for her ignorant family is necessary to make them understand the gravity of their actions.
Re: ??? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:33pm On Dec 09, 2008
Someone mentioned moral victory. . . I'm just going to curiously ask this question to everyone. What are the moral implications of tribal marks? What makes tribal markings morally good or morally wrong? Take your time and answer. I'm only curious to hear what people have to say about the morality of the issue.
Re: ??? by FufuKing1(m): 8:36am On Dec 10, 2008
ChinenyeN:

Someone mentioned moral victory. . . I'm just going to curiously ask this question to everyone. What are the moral implications of tribal marks? What makes tribal markings morally good or morally wrong? Take your time and answer. I'm only curious to hear what people have to say about the morality of the issue.

It is morally wrong to permanently scar and alter the body of a child against their will. Period.

And I'm sorry, but good for your cousin. What her mother did to her was wrong and she needs to apologize to her daughter. She had no right to do what she did to her.
Re: ??? by spikedcylinder: 9:26am On Dec 10, 2008
I am ugly and fat and I blame it on my mother and her stupid genes. I'm off to find me a lawyer so I can sue the pants off my mother for inflicting me with these genes.

Shior! undecided
Re: ??? by Pataki: 1:30pm On Dec 10, 2008
How does your genetic make-up correlate to tribal marks inflicted on one's face? undecided

I do not understand your analogy @ spikedcylinder. undecided

@ Topic,

Ten tribal marks if indeed it is true is totally ridiculous. They have turned her into a living ''ebora''. My suggestion is, she should focus her energy on a plastic surgery. At least try reduce the number of tribal marks to possibly four or something. She might get lucky thereafter to find a man than dragging her mother to court. That would be a waste of time and money.
Re: ??? by spikedcylinder: 4:57pm On Dec 10, 2008
Pataki:

How does your genetic make-up correlate to tribal marks inflicted on one's face? undecided
I do not understand your analogy @ spikedcylinder. undecided

It was sarcasm.
Re: ??? by idupaul: 5:00pm On Dec 10, 2008
@ poster

does the mum also have tribal marks?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mo Fe Jiggy-Jiggy / Oso Owo Gidi Taara / To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.