Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

A Summary Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Summary Of God (4170 Views)

full Summary Of Crisis Of Conscience By Former WT Gb Member Raymond Franz / A Summary Of Salvation To All Non Believers / A Summary On Tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2014
God is a subjective place, direction or destination.

For those who believe in a god, it represents what they would like to be if they were let lose and free.

But fear of their god -- what they wish to be -- keeps them in check and imprisoned.

God is fear of their own "demons" -- a glimpse of themselves let lose and running amok.

It is a psychological condition.

1 Like

Re: A Summary Of God by Horus(m): 1:14pm On Dec 09, 2014
The word God is a substitute. Stop and think one moment. The name God is not really in the bible. If this is not an English book written by Englishmen, it’s not there; it was added. You will also find that God, whether you have a big "G", or little "g", is not being used in the singular tense, as Eloh or Allah. The beings spoken of in the bible and Koran are the Eloheem, the plural of Eloh.

3 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2014
Very few people manage to successfully draw the ire of the believers and secularists alike.

Don't worry, our resident Christians are offering prayers on the behalf of your soul as we speak.

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Maamin(m): 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2014
Summary of God?.. ...there were never an article that could sum up to God.
Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 2:13pm On Dec 09, 2014
Atheism is not secularism. It is largely a fear-based religion of denial, ironically centered on what a possible god may be able to do.
Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:
Atheism is not secularism. It is largely a fear-based religion of denial, ironically centered on what a possible god may be able to do.

So there are people who deny the existence of a personal God out of fear of punishment?

Does that make sense to you? Are there North Koreans living in North Korea who deny that the Kim fellow is the boss?

4 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by DeepSight(m): 2:23pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:
God is a subjective place, direction or destination.

For those who believe in a god, it represents what they would like to be if they were let lose and free.

But fear of their god -- what they wish to be -- keeps them in check and imprisoned.

God is fear of their own "demons" -- a glimpse of themselves let lose and running amok.

It is a psychological condition.

Can you elaborate. What really does this mean? If you don't mind, a line-by-line elucidation of the above.
Many thanks.
Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

So there are people who deny the existence of a personal God out of fear of punishment?

Does that make sense to you?

I suspect that you are confusing two different questions.

1. Is the behaviour sensible? Answer: no.

2. Can you recognize the psychology? Answer: yes.

One weekend, I was at an African festival held at the Southbank Centre in London. This is a very large venue, and at the intermission people were streaming out from the various exhibitions and performances that were being held in the building.

A number of us had gathered at the lifts, and we all crammed on. The doors closed and the lift was bobbing and shaking with the weight of all the people. But something didn't feel right, and after several seconds, I said, "it's not moving!"

There was TOTAL silence. Everyone just froze. It was a weekend, with few staff around. Then somebody said, "of course, it's moving...". Then there was more silence. People waiting, even though the lift obviously wasn't moving.

Then I had an idea. Maybe it hadn't stopped. Maybe it hadn't started to move AT ALL! (And we hadn't noticed in the general commotion). So I pressed the button to opened the doors, and sure enough, we hadn't left our floor. I walked out and took the stairs.

You know what, I looked back, and everyone was so frozen with fear that they remained in the lift and the doors automatically closed again.

That is human psychology. Is it sensible? No.

Can you understand it? Yes, if you are not in denial.
Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

Wow!
What an incredible leap of logic from the emperor of logic himself.

Let me try to understand this.

1. According to you, god is an illusionary mental conditioning intended to give meaning, direction and restrictions. Am I correct ?

2. Then you say that atheists, those who refuse or reject this illusionary mental conditioning, are themselves living in denial , out of fear of these same illusions. Is this correct sir?

Now, if we remove the word " atheists " , and replace it with the word " unbelievers " , would your statement still hold true?

11 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

I suspect that you are confusing two different questions.

1. Is the behaviour sensible? Answer: no.

2. Can you recognize the psychology? Answer: yes.

One weekend, I was at an African festival held at the Southbank Centre in London. This is a very large venue, and at the intermission people were streaming out from the various exhibitions and performances that were being held in the building.

A number of us had gathered at the lifts, and we all crammed on. The doors closed and the lift was bobbing and shaking with the weight of all the people. But something didn't feel right, and after several seconds, I said, "it's not moving!"

There was TOTAL silence. Everyone just froze. It was a weekend, with few staff around. Then somebody said, "of course, it's moving...". Then there was more silence. People waiting, even though the lift obviously wasn't moving.

Then I had an idea. Maybe it hadn't stopped. Maybe it hadn't started to move AT ALL! (And we hadn't noticed in the general commotion). So I pressed the button to opened the doors, and sure enough, we hadn't left our floor. I walked out and took the stairs.

You know what, I looked back, and everyone was so frozen with fear that they remained in the lift and the doors automatically closed again.

That is human psychology. Is it sensible? No.

Can you understand it? Yes, if you are not in denial.

Conformity is nothing new. I remember reading about it in Intro Psych. There are all sorts of elevator experiments which show that the opinions of human beings tend to be influenced by groups.

But what has this got to do with the atheists choosing to deny God out of the fear of punishment? God is an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent character, not an elevator. Anyone who KNOWS this to be true, can never deny it. Denial includes general acts of disobedience, not only the refusal to acknowledge his existence.

I know God doesn't exist because everyone ADMITS that he/she disobeys him everyday.

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 3:02pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

Here we go again with these perpetual episodes of inadvertent irrationality.

Just as we had been educated earlier that psychology and anthropology are better than science , grin , lol, today , we are being educated that atheists are not secularists. shocked

What will they think of next?
undecided

4 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 3:09pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

Conformity is nothing new. I remember reading about it in Intro Psych. There are all sorts of elevator experiments which show that the opinions of human beings tend to be influenced by groups.

But what has this got to do with the atheists choosing to deny God out of the fear of punishment? God is an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent character, not an elevator. Anyone who KNOWS this to be true, can never deny it. Denial includes general acts of disobedience, not only the refusal to acknowledge his existence.

I know God doesn't exist because everyone ADMITS that he/she disobeys him everyday.
Groupthink is a well known psychological phenomenon that affects all aspects of our lives.
It explains why stup.Id decisions are usually made by a group of intelligent people in cabinets or boardrooms.
Diffusion Of Responsibility is another psychological phenomenon that exposes weaknesses in collective social behavior.

1 Like

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 3:15pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

I think you are missing the point.

This is not about conformity but the popular fear of being stuck in a lift. That fear was so powerful that they convinced themselves that the lift was moving. In the end, the fear of being stuck in a lift, made them remain in a defective lift.

Fear doesn't lead to rational outcomes. Fear can lead people into greater danger. So, I am saying don't get confused between rationalizing the behaviour and explaining its origin.
Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 3:24pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

I think you are missing the point.

This is not about conformity but the popular fear of being stuck in a lift. That fear was so powerful that they convinced themselves that the lift was moving. In the end, the fear of being stuck in a lift, made them remain in a defective lift.

Fear doesn't lead to rational outcomes. Fear can lead people into greater danger. So, I am saying don't get confused between rationalizing the behaviour and explaining its origin.

Again the elevator business. We're talking about atheists choosing to deny the fact that a personal God exists, not the fear of being stuck in an elevator.

Being roasted forever has a bigger deterrence factor than the fear of being stuck in an elevator.

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

Again the elevator business. We're talking about atheists choosing to deny the fact that a personal God exists, not the fear of being stuck in an elevator.

Being roasted forever has a bigger deterrence factor than the fear of being stuck in an elevator.

ok. If you don't get the point, let's leave it there.
Re: A Summary Of God by davien(m): 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2014
"god" is a subjective opinion...

1 Like

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 3:31pm On Dec 09, 2014
DeepSight:

Can you elaborate. What really does this mean? If you don't mind, a line-by-line elucidation of the above.
Many thanks.

People want to be "in control" of their lives.

But they feel they are not in control, so they invent a mechanism, a god, through which they can indirectly be in control.

They attribute to this entity all the excesses of their own controlling behaviour and anger.

They end up being afraid of the entity which represents their own essence.

4 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 3:34pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

ok. If you don't get the point, let's leave it there.

You didn't make one. Declarative statements out of the blue don't count as "making points."

No one who KNOWS that hell exists will EVER disobey the person who built it. No one. God is an UNUSUAL dictator in most religions. He knows your THOUGHTS and he sees EVERYTHING.

What could possibly be the reward for even a slight disobedience when every offense brings you closer to the heat?

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2014
davien:
"god" is a subjective opinion...
And if you reject this opinion, you are practicing a religion of denial.

All the great philosophers put together could not have articulated this most brilliant and elegant truthi-ness . grin

5 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 3:45pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

You didn't make one. Declarative statements out of the blue don't count as "making points."

No one who KNOWS that hell exists will EVER disobey the person who built it. No one. God is an UNUSUAL dictator in most religions. He knows your THOUGHTS and he sees EVERYTHING.

What could possibly be the reward for even a slight disobedience when every offense brings you closer to the heat?

You are wrong. Most atheists are deeply irrational and will do all of that.

Does burying your head in the sand make the danger go away?

No. It makes you more vulnerable to the danger. But people still do it.

So asking me why atheists have certain psychosis is not my concern.
Re: A Summary Of God by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

This is the first time I am going to agree with you,I think you are right,we atheists are living in self denial,we just want to feel safe,we are scared of being punished, why didn't I ever think about this.

For example

Take a look at some prostitutes, some of them chose not to believe in the risks of unprotected sex, So that they can fornicate well and feel safe from the consequences(Stds)of their actions.

The armed robbers and assassins and kidnappers, some of them stopped believing in the armed forces(police,swat,fbi etc) So that they can feel safe from being arrested and continue with their crimes.

The pilots,some of them stopped believing in empty fuel tanks, So that they can feel safe and fly their planes without having fuel in their tanks.

A zoo keeper simply stopped believing lions are carnivorous animals, So that he can feel safe and to avoid being eaten by the lions,so he entered the lions cage to feed it and came out safely because he stopped believing lions are carnivorous.

Likewise some people stopped believing in God,So that they can feel safe and avoid consequences(hell fire) and to sin freely as much as they want to.

You Ar right. We just want to avoid the consequences of our sins and continue in it,as the case is also with other examples.

We are just scared of hell That's why we refused to believe God,likewise the way the prostitutes are just scared of STDs So they refused to believe in contacting it through unprotected sex et al.

Wow it makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Longstride: 4:31pm On Dec 09, 2014
Dapo777:

This is the first time I am going to agree with you,I think you are right,we atheists are living in self denial,we just want to feel safe,we are scared of being punished, why didn't I ever think about this.

For example

Take a look at some prostitutes, some of them chose not to believe in the risks of unprotected sex, So that they can fornicate well and feel safe from the consequences(Stds)of their actions.

The armed robbers and assassins and kidnappers, some of them stopped believing in the armed forces(police,swat,fbi etc) So that they can feel safe from being arrested and continue with their crimes.

The pilots,some of them stopped believing in empty fuel tanks, So that they can feel safe and fly their planes without having fuel in their tanks.

A zoo keeper simply stopped believing lions are carnivorous animals, So that he can feel safe and to avoid being eaten by the lions,so he entered the lions cage to feed it and came out safely because he stopped believing lions are carnivorous.

Likewise some people stopped believing in God,So that they can feel safe and avoid consequences(hell fire) and to sin freely as much as they want to.

You Ar right. We just want to avoid the consequences of our sins and continue in it,as the case is also with other examples.

We are just scared of hell That's why we refused to believe God,likewise the way the prostitutes are just scared of STDs So they refused to believe in contacting it through unprotected sex et al.

Wow it makes a lot of sense.

and we refuse to believe in Santa, because we are scared of not getting gifts from him at the end of the year, not because the story doesn't make sense.....I've been enlightened shocked

3 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by Psylas(m): 4:44pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hahahaha! People who believe in God are not afraid of hell and God, it's non believers

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

People want to be "in control" of their lives.

But they feel they are not in control, so they invent a mechanism, a god, through which they can indirectly be in control.

They attribute to this entity all the excesses of their own controlling behaviour and anger.

They end up being afraid of the entity which represents their own essence.

Wow!

For the first time ever, you actually stick out your neck to talk common sense in simple language.
cheesy
And to show you that I do not suffer from inadvertent irrationality, I gave you a " like " .

The funny thing here, however, is that all you said above are what every atheists, on and off Nairaland, have been saying almost word for word over and over again. undecided
If these are your viewpoints, then it befuddles us that you attack atheists for holding exactly the same viewpoints that you do.

Please kindly educate us, how you, whom I suppose do not subscribe to this aforementioned mental construct, differ from , or not an atheist ?

Are you schizophrenic, or do you have some kind of phobia associated with the word "atheism" .

Is it the " ISM " that bothers you ?
It bothers me too, because as a free thinker, I don't like to be boxed into any ISMs.
It subconsciously conveys the wrong idea about a person who walks away or does not accept the mental construct of " god " .

You sir, even without knowing it, have fallen victim to this error.
What surprises most of us here is that you do it so unabashedly, with so much passion and gusto.

2 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2014
Psylas:
Hahahaha! People who believe in God are not afraid of hell and God, it's non believers

ALL people who believe in hell are afraid of what they believe.

Most atheists are also afraid because they have not found a real and deep way NOT to believe. All they have is a superficial religion which works on group psychology. They suffer a cognitive dissonance whereby they believe in god and hell, but bury it deep in their psyche, and entertain a fragile disbelief.

When their thin veneer of disbelief is questioned, they start to scream. It is very frightening for them, but they have to keep up the pretence in their own confused way.
Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 5:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

I'm asking how you arrived at your diagnosis, not why they have it.

All you did was to recount a conveniently embellished elevator story, and tell me that atheists share the affliction of the characters in it.

There was no conversation about the logic behind your train of thought.
Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 5:31pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

Most atheists are also afraid because they have not found a real and deep way NOT to believe.

All they have is a superficial religion which works on group psychology.

They suffer a cognitive dissonance whereby they believe in god and hell, but bury it deep in their psyche, and entertain a fragile disbelief.

When their thin veneer of disbelief is questioned, they start to scream.

It is very frightening for them, but they have to keep up the pretence in their own confused way.

Monumental!

I am Lost in disbelief. shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 5:38pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

Most atheists are also afraid because they have not found a real and deep way NOT to believe. All they have is a superficial religion which works on group psychology. They suffer a cognitive dissonance whereby they believe in god and hell, but bury it deep in their psyche, and entertain a fragile disbelief.

When their thin veneer of disbelief is questioned, they start to scream. It is very frightening for them, but they have to keep up the pretence in their own confused way.

Since you know so much about psychology, I'm sure you've heard of psychological projection.

"Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people. For example, if you have a strong dislike for someone, you might instead believe that he or she does not like you. Projection works by allowing the expression of the desire or impulse, but in a way that the ego cannot recognize, therefore reducing anxiety."
http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defensemech_7.htm

You're doing quite a bit of that here and there.

5 Likes

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 5:40pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

I'm asking how you arrived at your diagnosis, not why they have it.

Wrong. You asked me what reward could they possibly conceive...

Weah96:

I arrive at my diagnosis by talking to atheists. This forum is chock full of examples of atheist denial, hypocrisy and inability to focus on questions. It is almost as if they are seeing a tiger in the room and all their answers are about what if the cage door came unlocked. They are more concerned with whether your question may somehow unlock their tiger's cage door, than the question, itself.

(The tiger is their fear of god, hell, etc.)
Re: A Summary Of God by Weah96: 5:54pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

Wrong. You asked me what reward could they possibly conceive...

I arrive at my diagnosis by talking to atheists. This forum is chock full of examples of atheist denial, hypocrisy and inability to focus on questions. It is almost as if they are seeing a tiger in the room and all their answers are about what if the cage door came unlocked. They are more concerned with whether your question may somehow unlock their tiger's cage door, than the question, itself.

(The tiger is their fear of god, hell, etc.)

Do you believe in HELLFIRE or not? Hell fire means a place where a personal God will roast people forever after watching a DVD of their lives.
Re: A Summary Of God by plaetton: 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2014
sinequanon:

This is evidence that most people do things on irrational impulses before being aware of what they do or the implications.

You, sir, are saying that atheists don't believe in god because atheists are afraid of what a possible god might be able to do .

This is deep.
Albeit, Deeply st.u.pid.

Let me show you.

1. You boldly state and define god as a illusory mental construct by weak and fearful minds. In other words, you yourself rejects this illusory mental construct. But haba!, you are not an atheist.

2. According to you, god is such a Terrifying mental monster that even those who construct it are deeply afraid of it, much like Frankenstein .

3. And those that reject this Terrifying mental monster called god, including your honorable self, are also afraid of it, so much so that they formed a fear-based religion, called atheism, to deny and oppose the terrifying mental construct called god.

4. The only exceptions to all this is that you alone stand aloof, opposed to the terrifying and illusory mental construct,.. but not fearful enough to be called an atheists.
Correct?

So, is this some sort of complex, syndrome or just plain ol schizophrenia ?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Summary Of God by sinequanon: 5:59pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:

Do you believe in HELLFIRE or not? Hell fire means a place where a personal God will roast people forever after watching a DVD of their lives.

I don't have a personal god.

If someone has created a personal god that will roast them in their hell, that is an issue for them, not me.

Let me guess....your "concern" is not to do with your fear that their god can control you, too, but your "love" of people and need to save them from themselves?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet The Seven Demons That Are Rulers Of Hell (no.3 Is Not Even The Strongest / Islam Is Not For Non-arabs: Al-quran / What Leader Olumba Olumba Obu Said In 1990

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.